Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Or do you need at least 4 players/heroes to defeat villains not found in the base set?

I've been playing this for a little while now, trying different villains and different heroes with some of my friends and it seems that we have been able to beat the villains found in the base set, but we have had little success defeating other villains.

So am I wrong about this? Has anyone consistently won with only 2 heroes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would advise playing with low complexity heroes to keep the difficulty as low as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
So am I wrong about this? Has anyone consistently won with only 2 heroes?

The game is designed for 3-5 heroes, 2 player games should have at least 1 person running 2 heroes (or you can use a variant idea, there's a good one here).

As to needing 4 heroes? Nope, I have played every villain with 3 heroes, and beaten all of them (it's part of a challenge I am setting myself with this game). Some do require more thought than others, and certain combinations of heroes will make it harder to win but it is possible to win with less than 4 heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some villains are particularly nasty, but most can be defeated with 3 heroes. It's just more difficult (but that's not a bad thing IMO).

The game is not designed to be played with fewer than 3 heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The Ennead in particular are noticeably easier with 3 heroes than with 5.

Which other villains have you been playing? Rook City's villains are generally much harder than other villains, so if you got blown out by the Chairman, the Matriarch, and Plague Rat, that might not be just because you have 3 heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We beat Spite last weekend with three heroes so it's definitely possible to beat him at least. . We normally use random heroes though so I think we're shooting about 50-50 on winning so far. (That and we're all newbies still.)

But yeah, the rules recommend using at least three heroes minimum. If you're trying to win with just two heroes it's probably fairly hard unless you have really good synergy between the two heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul (one of the designers) claims that he can beat any vilain in advanced mode in any environment with any 3 heroes.

I will not go as far as say that, but I certainly have over 80% success ratio against vanilla villains (and 3 random heroes/environment)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for responding. We have all enjoyed the game, just not had much success yet. So it looks like we need to maybe first, play with the simpler heroes and villains to get a better handle on the system and then just keep learning each hero to maximize their interactions with each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.