United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagle-Gryphon Games is proud to announce that Peter Hawe's TRIASSIC TERROR has been named Best New Strategy Game by GAMES MAGAZINE announced in the Dec 2013 Issue.

http://www.gamesmagazine-online.com/gameslinks/gameofyear.ht...

Congratulations, Peter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean parmenter
msg tools
mbmb
Glad to see Triassic Terror get the recognition it deserves. I was starting to think that it was slipping under the radar. This is a seriously good area-control game with great depth to it. Until you play it you can't possibly appreciate the wonderful tactical options built into the game sytem.

Each turn you are confronted with 6 action tiles, one of which you will choose. But each of the 6 action tiles offers a myriad of different outcomes affecting the dino counts of not only you, but also your opponents. Balancing up the need to grow, migrate to better habitats and spread across the board to achieve a presence in all 4 environments is the challenge that awaits you on each turn.

A lot is said about theme in games, but for me this game comes to life. The action tiles cover everything from hatching, migrating, increasing your herds, new genes giving you species adapted to new environments, T-Rex attacks, raptor ambushes, pterodactyl raids and volcanic eruptions. These are worked into the action tiles very well.

Possibly its greatest attribute is that the game doesn't play you. You have complete freedom to plan your move as you see fit, without the restriction of cards dictating your move or being forced to build an economic engine. Play is fast and furious with no place for the faint hearted. It has taken over from El Grande as my favorite area control game. Also good to see an area control game win for once, over the numerous worker placement games we are surrounded by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon beall
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this is great news! this game has not been getting the recognition it deserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike mahon
Australia
flag msg tools
jonathanbeall wrote:
this is great news! this game has not been getting the recognition it deserves.

I agree whole-heartedly. Once you have played the game you realise how clever the mechanics are and how wide is the scope for tactical play. This is area control at its primeval best. Ruthless and unforgiving. The theme is so strong with new environments, migration, herd growth and hatching adding to the size of your herds and T-Rex, raptors and pterodactyls diminishing your herds.

I am amazed with just 6 actions available how many different possible tactical moves are available each turn. But each action brings a myriad of different scenarios into play. You job is to pick the best tactical option depending on the state of play.

The choosing of action tiles in turn order and the playing of the action tiles being done in numeric order makes for a great dilemma in itself. This is a truly wonderful game with untold replay value for area control fans. Thoroughly deserves its award as Best Strategy Game of the Year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.