Popular Tags: [View All]
François + Daphné
Canada
Saint-Hyacinthe
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really curious to know if this game is as good as the other great Days of Wonder's titles...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, me too. DoW were auto buys, but after the last couple of releases they will need to show me first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Camdin wrote:
I am really curious to know if this game is as good as the other great Days of Wonder's titles...

I bought it today, should arrive by Friday, I'll report back once played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DOW needs to work on their pre-release buzz. Why hasn't this game been reviewed by someone before its release? It feels like a studio that doesn’t allow its movie to be screened a week before the release because they know it will get unanimously panned. Hopefully this isn't the case, but come on DOW, get back in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:
DOW needs to work on their pre-release buzz. Why hasn't this game been reviewed by someone before its release? It feels like a studio that doesn’t allow its movie to be screened a week before the release because they know it will get unanimously panned. Hopefully this isn't the case, but come on DOW, get back in the game.

It has been...

The game is great. Am I allowed to post links to other site's reviews? I did a review on MeepleTown on Monday already. I'll post it in BGG in a week or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
eknauer wrote:

It has been...

The game is great. Am I allowed to post links to other site's reviews? I did a review on MeepleTown on Monday already. I'll post it in BGG in a week or so.

If you go to the game's page and scroll to the bottom, you'll see a section specifically for linking to external pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this yesterday, or... well... tried to.

It seemed neat at a glance, and in no way looked like a game that would be difficult to understand, but alas...the rule book was dense with information and yet somehow didn't manage to clearly explain how the game is played, namely the Movement part, which seems to be a signifcant part of the 'puzzle' aspect, yet you're left in the dark about how or why to use the trail pieces.

Thematically, the game also left a lot of questions. Why are there three distinct path designs on the board when the rule book is written like there are only two? Why do we have these different characters with selectable genders on our little scoring/development sheets if the tokens are all the same guy? What on earth are we even finding along a river path that allows us to level our abilities? Exactly why would an explorer never double back down the path they came from to go somewhere? And if you're taking victory points from a pile everyone can see, why even bother keeping them face down afterwards?

I just didn't find the fun, to be honest. It looked like there might have been a fun game somewhere, but the rule book and the sloppy theme just made it really difficult to figure out what we were supposed to do. Did they forget to play test the rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Roberts
United Kingdom
Burton On Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Sysop of "Big Bang Burger Bar" Forum (www.bigbangburgerbar.co.uk)
badge
Organiser of "Raiders of the Game Cupboard" (www.raidersofthegamecupboard.co.uk)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a quick taster 2-player of this after punching the pieces at mt FLGS.

I agree the rulebook could have been laid out better, but its mostly there. It's certainly not the worst I have ever read, but there is room for improvement.

The gameplay seems simple enough with a Move and explore action on your turn. Each player has a toolbox of additional actions they can potentially take to aid their tasks.

The paths help movement, on your turn you can move one unfamiliar path (ie one without one of your coloured path tokens on it) per turn but you can move over your own coloured paths for free thereby enabling longer movement with careful placement.

The components, as expected from DOW, are top quality and the artwork is great.

I'm not convinced there is enough there for the 2-player game, but with more players there would be a lot more interaction and tension.

Overall I enjoyed the test run and look forward to trying again with more players and getting in a full game.

As for the why would you not go down the same paths thematically, well they are explorers surely the point is they want to find new undiscovered relics, why would they back track on old ground whilst they have provisions and drive to explore new territory?

I will try and report back again once I have had a good chance to play this game more thoroughly but so far it seems good fun and likely to get a lot of plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the rulebook was fine, but I demoed it at Gen Con so I had preconceptions. I think the game has a lot of meat - my score has improved with every play (dead last the first two times...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thyssen
Canada
Sparta
ON
flag msg tools
adamthyssen.com
badge
adamthyssen.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We also had a chance to demo this at GenCon, and I quite enjoyed it.

Beyond the stellar DoW production value, there's a lot more to think about on your turn than it would appear on the surface. The route building, and changing, is particularly interesting.

Don't get me wrong - it's not a tremendously deep game. But what looks at first like an easy puzzle in the early game, becomes a race to optimize your paths in order to snag idols as the end gets closer.

I'm certainly looking to pick up a copy. But then I also quite enjoyed playing Cargo Noir with my family - so take from that what you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
eknauer wrote:

It has been...

Sure you can: http://meepletown.com/2013/09/review-relic-runners/

Bottom line: like Kingdom Builder, but in reverse, 4 of 5 stars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
aldaryn wrote:
eknauer wrote:

It has been...

Man, what did I write all those other words for?

I just added the web link in the appropriate section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karkador wrote:

Thematically, the game also left a lot of questions. Why are there three distinct path designs on the board when the rule book is written like there are only two?

There are rivers, and then dirt paths, but the dirt paths that go to base camp are highlighted in a different color to remind you that you MUST stop there if you go through base camp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oridyne wrote:
As for the why would you not go down the same paths thematically, well they are explorers surely the point is they want to find new undiscovered relics, why would they back track on old ground whilst they have provisions and drive to explore new territory?

Yeah, that's one way of looking at it, but in a game it felt a bit frustrating to have to do a bit of pathmaking gymnastics just to do something as sensible as return to base camp. It's like one of those game rules that reveals the abstract mechanics behind the curtain, so to speak.

But the confusion could have very well been just in not understanding the rule book.

aldaryn wrote:

There are rivers, and then dirt paths, but the dirt paths that go to base camp are highlighted in a different color to remind you that you MUST stop there if you go through base camp.

See, I didn't discern that at ALL from the board design. They looked more like paved paths to me, distinct from the dirt paths enough to feel like they should be something different. It's just one of those things that you get hung up on as a new player trying to learn the rules (with no prior introduction).

Another gripe with the paths I forgot to mention is that there seemed to be 0 indication of how many of the path markers are supposed to go on the different lengths of paths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karkador wrote:

Another gripe with the paths I forgot to mention is that there seemed to be 0 indication of how many of the path markers are supposed to go on the different lengths of paths.

This leads me to conclude you're over-thinking things. Why would you ever assume more than 1 path marker goes on a path? What in the rules gives any indication that multiple markers (of the same player) should be placed down on a single path? Do the paths on the board have sections that would aid in the placement of multiple markers? I think you ought to just take the rules at face value and not try to out think them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
This leads me to conclude you're over-thinking things. Why would you ever assume more than 1 path marker goes on a path? What in the rules gives any indication that multiple markers (of the same player) should be placed down on a single path? Do the paths on the board have sections that would aid in the placement of multiple markers? I think you ought to just take the rules at face value and not try to out think them.

The paths are different lengths, I think it's quite easy to assume you need to use different amounts of markers because of that. I don't think I was overthinking it, it's that the rules section for Movement omits a clear explanation of how Movement works (and it's a pretty big part of the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karkador wrote:
cannoneer wrote:

The paths are different lengths, I think it's quite easy to assume you need to use different amounts of markers because of that. I don't think I was overthinking it, it's that the rules section for Movement omits a clear explanation of how Movement works (and it's a pretty big part of the game).

Seriously?! The rules are quite clear about movement and spend a lot of words to make sure it's clear. They even repeat multiple times how the types of paths play almost the same, but not quite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korey Jackson
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed your review--a really useful discussion of the game's key features without bogging down in gameplay overview.

Definitely suggested reading for anyone considering purchasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very very positive first impressions. There are a couple things that are unclear from the rulebook upon initial reading but at its heart the game is pretty simple and nicely puzzle-y.

My main concerns:
-Said rulebook issues. The base camp paths are differently colored but this is never mentioned even though it seems like it should be important. The power that gives you VP whenever you score VP while exploring a temple... is it meant to only trigger on blue temples? or can it also trigger off of other actions?

-It's VERY puzzle-y. I like this a lot but some people might dislike it and it might get kind of bogged down with AP people.

-Some stale-mate esque situations appeared? Where I could immediately take a relic if a player flipped a certain blue temple, and if he didn't I would move to that temple and then he would adopt the space from earlier... eventually one of us had to acquiesce and let the other one take the relic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François + Daphné
Canada
Saint-Hyacinthe
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the interesting impressions you posted!

Having read all this and having seen the recent Miami Dice episode on that game, I think I will let my acquisition disorder get worse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kbjack wrote:
aldaryn wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed your review--a really useful discussion of the game's key features without bogging down in gameplay overview.

Definitely suggested reading for anyone considering purchasing.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Dennis
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have gotten in 3 plays so far .. 2 with 2 players and 1 with 3 players ..

It's a light-med game I'd say .. it felt quite a bit different with 3 players and I enjoyed it quite a bit more than with just 2 players ..

It has a Ticket to Ride feel, but with a good bit more strategy. I like this a great deal more than Ticket to Ride ..

We found the rules quite easy to learn. My 12 and 14 year old both were able to develop strategies towards winning.

All in all .. this is really a very good game .. I can see this getting on the table quite often for family gaming night as well as a very good game to introduce folks that are new to our hobby .. In fact, this may very well be my new go to game for that purpose!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what I'm getting from all of this...

Gameplay is actually very good. A little abstract for the theme but it still works overall.

The rulebook is a bit confusing, which I get because I read the rulebook and was a little confused myself.

Looks like a buy for me. Good job Days of Wonder. Love that they went with a first time designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello I Am Jim
badge
Yo
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in agreement that the rule book is pretty bad. Very poorly worded. My fiancee and I sat down to learn the game yesterday and scrapped that idea once we read the rules. We decided that we'd try again once I did more homework on the rules. Luckily for us someone posted a video with the rules on how to play http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/34779/relic-runners/relic... This video helped me greatly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Demon Jim wrote:
I'm in agreement that the rule book is pretty bad. Very poorly worded. My fiancee and I sat down to learn the game yesterday and scrapped that idea once we read the rules. We decided that we'd try again once I did more homework on the rules. Luckily for us someone posted a video with the rules on how to play http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/34779/relic-runners/relic... This video helped me greatly.

Really?! The rules were too hard to understand?

What is it about the rules are you guys are finding so hard to follow? I thought they did just fine and was able to read through them and play right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.