Popular Tags: [View All]
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't understand why people aren't more excited by the new Futures in this game--they're just so.... SCIENCE FICTIONY DELICIOUS!!!

I mean, in this expansion I can do some really seriously epic and cool stuff:

1Create anti-matter from scratch (or, given how my dice rolls usually go, fail horrifically in an epic accident of science gone horribly awry)...

2Build a space-ark filled with sentient, politically emancipated robots...

3Turn emancipated robots into Von Neumann probes that spam themselves across and beyond the solar system...

4Become a supreme cult leader of the entire solar system...

5Use my evil pan-sapien group-mind tech to force recruit humans into my insane borg group-mind plan... (ONE OF US, ONE OF US)

6CRASH A COMET INTO THE EARTH!!!!

6Build a mini-black hole (because, I mean, it's for science and in no way potentially horrible and destructive!)

6Bolt a 3 million ton ball of deuterium to a rocket the size of the Empire State Building and head on out of the solar system!

6DID I MENTION THAT YOU CAN CRASH A COMET INTO THE EARTH!!!!????

6...and on and on.

Frankly, I don't even care about winning anymore. My new goal is to achieve every single one of the futures successfully.

Starting, of course, with crashing a comet into the earth. (MORE GAMES SHOULD HAVE THIS.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is going to ruin my Eclipse Phase campaign! Now I just need to get it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of this stuff is pretty weird when I was reading the cards. It seems to ruin the plausible, hard science fiction feel that really attracted me to HF in the first place. Doesn't mean it still won't be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BDSb wrote:
Some of this stuff is pretty weird when I was reading the cards. It seems to ruin the plausible, hard science fiction feel that really attracted me to HF in the first place. Doesn't mean it still won't be fun.

Dude. Have you not been paying attention to, like, the last 50 years? Science has made the world weird, and it's only going to get weirder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
BDSb wrote:

Dude. Have you not been paying attention to, like, the last 50 years? Science has made the world weird, and it's only going to get weirder.

Yeah, but where's my flying car?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the Futures, and what they do for the game.

In my mind, they achieve a few goals - in the legacy game, the game would end just as things felt like they were starting, and the futures now provide a definite conclusion. This, to me, just feels right.

They also provide variety, in the same way that hidden roles will do, but without the problems associated with that mechanic. With most hidden role games (say, FFG's Skeptic in Cosmic Encounter), you need to know what all of the possibilities are before you can guess your opponent and run a counter to them. These "hidden roles" aren't hidden!.

Perhaps most of all, and in conjunction with the Colonist module, they seem to give the game even more emergent narrative. This is something that High Frontier does pretty well (as any simulation should), but this pushes it over the edge.

For example - in the last game we played, I struggled to get my first factory on Lutetia, with my space program being run by Malcolm's investments. This allowed me to develop a GW thruster (the upgraded Orion) and the M freighter, which gave me the future I was going to aim for (Planet hunt future - colonising Sedna).

Industrialising Callisto was the next step - Callisto is presumably a science site because it's surface is extremely old, so it's a good place to study the formation of the solar system. My Bernal was turned into a lab orbiting Callisto (where Malcolm now lived), and I started promoting cards, before launching my mission to Sedna, with Malcolm aboard.

He (and his entourage) ended up industrialising and colonising Sedna, hunting for planets around other stars. Sedna orbits every 12,000 years o so, so he'll be back eventually...

Now, that's a story. It's not a brilliant story by default, but it has a plot with a logical progression and a conclusion (and some drama which I didn't mention).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Noguera
Other-Eastern Europe
Girona
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:

Starting, of course, with crashing a comet into the earth. (MORE GAMES SHOULD HAVE THIS.)

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
I really like the Futures, and what they do for the game.

In my mind, they achieve a few goals - in the legacy game, the game would end just as things felt like they were starting, and the futures now provide a definite conclusion. This, to me, just feels right.

They also provide variety, in the same way that hidden roles will do, but without the problems associated with that mechanic. With most hidden role games (say, FFG's Skeptic in Cosmic Encounter), you need to know what all of the possibilities are before you can guess your opponent and run a counter to them. These "hidden roles" aren't hidden!.

Perhaps most of all, and in conjunction with the Colonist module, they seem to give the game even more emergent narrative. This is something that High Frontier does pretty well (as any simulation should), but this pushes it over the edge.

For example - in the last game we played, I struggled to get my first factory on Lutetia, with my space program being run by Malcolm's investments. This allowed me to develop a GW thruster (the upgraded Orion) and the M freighter, which gave me the future I was going to aim for (Planet hunt future - colonising Sedna).

Industrialising Callisto was the next step - Callisto is presumably a science site because it's surface is extremely old, so it's a good place to study the formation of the solar system. My Bernal was turned into a lab orbiting Callisto (where Malcolm now lived), and I started promoting cards, before launching my mission to Sedna, with Malcolm aboard.

He (and his entourage) ended up industrialising and colonising Sedna, hunting for planets around other stars. Sedna orbits every 12,000 years o so, so he'll be back eventually...

Now, that's a story. It's not a brilliant story by default, but it has a plot with a logical progression and a conclusion (and some drama which I didn't mention).

Totally agree, a lot of the futures remind me of a bit of an outlandish version of Charles Sheffield Ganymede Club / Cold as Ice / Dark as Day series of books... of course we're damned overdue for THAT specific timeline (we were SUPPOSED to have sent the first manned mission to MARS LAST YEAR Dagnabbit!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allen
Australia
Ngunnawal, Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like something that should be written on the box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.