Subject: Alien Uprising vs. planet defiant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nappen the Wargamer Dad

San Antonio
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I am a backer so please don't flame.

Does anyone know the differences between these two games. I picked up AU with all the add ons and can't wait to play. There were lots of reviews, play demos and I think I have a good feel for what it will bring to my game table.

I am also looking at PD. To be frank there really is not much out there. I like the look and idea, but is it worth a second game or is it just a repeat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not alone. Granted, I've only glanced at these games from afar, but I had the same question.
-ryanjamal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
PD looks more like Arkham Horror with tactical battle boards. In fact, it looks exactly like Arkham horror with tactical battle boards. So, I guess it depends on whether you like the battle system? The rules are up, I believe.

I'm not a huge fan of the art direction, personally. It's not bad, but seems slightly amateurish to me. That's pretty subjective though, I guess.

I'm also not a fan of campaigns with lots of add-ons, especially game changing ones. Right now getting the full game and all the expansions is around $200 (-ish, I think. Definitely have to add at least two add-ons to the all-in $140 level).

I dropped my Alien Uprising pledge for the same reason. Game looks awesome and I'm glad it was so successful, that goes without saying. Adding $45 to get the complete game (by my definition) stressed me out too much, though. The $80 pledge (I had an early bird) seemed like a good value in the beginning, but my options quickly became $125 or take my chances on retail. The add-ons priced me out of the market, so to speak. (Just my perspective, I'm sure your all-in was the right choice for you.)

PD looks like a far more expensive version of the same thing. It's clearly going to get funded. It will almost certainly be available at retail for less, if you are a careful shopper. And I seriously doubt the KS version will command a premium. The ones that do are usually such a good deal that you wouldn't be here asking, you'd have already pledged (see: Reaper Bones II).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nappen the Wargamer Dad

San Antonio
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ryan: Thanks and haven't been on since the DDD debacle.

@silver: Thanks, you are tracking sort of what I was thinking. I ended up with an all in of 125 for everything. I may have to drop my pledge here...I have not played arkam, but it is a lot cheaper
You are right, this one would be around 185.

I have so many out there I am waiting on, I should probably not add anotherblush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thumbed you for agreeing with me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.