Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I know there are a ton of threads about what expansions are necessary for what, but I can't seem to confirm this topic's question.

My local game store has BoW and RvI but does not carry The Gathering Storm. I will buy the other expansions eventually, but if I were to just pick up BoW, would I be able to jump into a solitaire game? I'm not interested in integrating the new cards from the expansion, just looking for the "robot" aspect.

Quick replies are appreciated so I can run down and grab a copy before they close (if you know, you can play solo)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never tried it, but the intention is that the expansions are sequential. I'd think it'd be pretty rough to play base + BoW without supporting cards from the two prior expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I H
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the robot (solitaire) components are included in The Gathering Storm. I'm not sure how you could play RftG solo without them (although I'm sure someone has a variant).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just working off this line from the expansion's description:

"New solitaire game counters and drafting rules for six players are also provided."

I know Gathering Storm has the solo components but I wasn't sure if the new counters included here would suffice. There are some solo variants for the base game only that I've looked into, which is fine, but I thought there would be a chance I could get started with filling out my collection with this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
The Gathering Storm has the board, counters and die required for solitaire play. The additional counters in subsequent expansions are just for support and are useless without The Gathering Storm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyndal wrote:
The Gathering Storm has the board, counters and die required for solitaire play. The additional counters in subsequent expansions are just for support and are useless without The Gathering Storm.

Thanks a ton, all I needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:
Thanks a ton, all I needed.

Yeah, the Robot solitaire rules are all in The Gathering Storm expansion. Without The Gathering Storm expansion, there is no Robot solitaire rules, as they use special dice and charts and counters that come in The Gathering Storm expansion. The components for the Robot Solitaire game that come with RvI and BoW are just a few extra added parts to work with the Robot game that came in Gathering Storm.

In theory, if you had the Robot Solitaire components and rules somehow *without* having The Gathering Storm, you could still play just fine (like, if, for example, you just have the base game and someone handed you the dice, charts, counters, and rule booklet from Gathering Storm without any of the cards for whatever reason), it would work fine, as there are no specific *cards* you need from Gathering Storm to play the Robot solitaire variant. But, as noted, the actual components you need to play the Robot solitaire variant all come in Gathering Storm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just download the Keldon AI and get your games in there. Any solitaire mode is a pale shadow of actually playing a human, but the AI is closer to reality than most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunna wrote:
Just download the Keldon AI and get your games in there. Any solitaire mode is a pale shadow of actually playing a human, but the AI is closer to reality than most.
I tried playing the computerized version of the solitaire game. No comments about rules were implemented. It was kinda nice in terms of interface, but not as nice as Keldon's AI since I used the enhanced interface. One day, I may go back to that. Only time will tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.