Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hardly consider myself a NW expert (by far!), but I'd like to pass along a few basic play tips to players in order to help better learn - and thus hopefully more enjoy - this game.

Let's focus on the first scenario (14.1), "Rise of the People".

Trade Goods: You'll be starting (in the Out-of-Play Box) with just 3 (of 9) Trade Goods since 6 Trade Goods are set aside per setup. You can obtain these counters via Women expending AP's (Step 4 of Planning) or anytime via Acquisition (10.1, for 6 Corn or 3 Animals).

You may get other Trade Goods during play, say via an Intruder counter being revealed (see Glossary) or by incorporating Weaving into your Culture.

It would wise to be familiar with how Trade Goods are utilized (10.2, Spending and also summarized on the play aid) for the important impact that they can have on play.

Cards: Cards #43 through #55 are not used in this scenario. That means the Transitional Historical Events rules (6.2) can be ignored, as can all rules and references to Forts (which are only used during American scenarios via card #41) along with Ranchos (the Spanish only build Missions).

Culture: After your initial choice of a Level 1 Culture Card (per setup), don't sweat these because there will only be a single opportunity - when #41 Pueblo Revolt is revealed - to obtain any other Culture Card. "Rise of the People" ends once the only other Historical Event Card - #42 Franciscan Faction Ascendant - in the deck is revealed and resolved.

And that opportunity will only present itself if you choose to perform a Victory Check Segment (8.2, Step 8) when resolving #41 Pueblo Revolt because Good Medicine (8.1) doesn't permit Culture Cards to be obtained.

Enemy Operations: Pay particular attention to Steps 1 through Step 5 of each and every Enemy Operations (4.0) because during the excitement of play, it can be very easy to overlook important steps.

For example, Step 3 (Flip Random Instructions) requires a dice roll to be made. Remember that red stripe Instruction counters don't flip.

ERRATA: The word "red" is missing from the Subjugation of New Mexico Box on the map. This is worth noting because only red cubes in the box generate +1 Enemy AP, per. Black cubes in this box will only affect Victory (14.1.2).

Feed Population: Elders have to be fed during Passage of Time, too. This means if you have three Families and Elders maxed out, 15 units will need food. If your three Families are in three different Territories, with no Drought, your total Arability is 9 (3 x 3). That's 6 units which will require another food source or they will starve.

Sheep are very handy since they feed 4 units, but it's frustrating to be just 1 or 2 food short and have to slaughter sheep since any excess food will be lost.

Corn is costly in MP's to Plant and Harvest, but is almost essential as a food source. Plus Corn can delay Enemy Raids (2 counters per, not 1) or as previously noted, can be used to acquire Trade Goods (10.1).

Note that Step 4 (Harvest Corn) occurs before Step 5 (Feed Population) during a Passage of Time, so a Family can freely harvest Corn then, just before its needed.

Corn Crops: Once a Family Plants Corn, it cannot leave the Area or the Corn counter is removed (3.2.4). Thus your Family needs to tends to the crops, but they are not otherwise useless.

Families that are in place farming Corn can still Raid New Mexico (if they have a Man, and Military >0) because a Family counter doesn't actually move for this action (3.2.5). Such Families can also call for a Tribal Council (3.2.8), which may generate a much-needed extra Dine AP for you.

If a Family doesn't have enough MP's to reach Santa Fe, that's OK - use a Long-Range Raid (3.2.5) from any Area.

Ferocity: While we might want our Families at top Ferocity (of 3) for the Battle DRM's, there are consequences with the first being a lower Evasion modifier (as indicated on the counter).

Another effect is that the Total Ferocity of all your Families adds AP to Enemy Raids (see Flowchart). So that means if a 9 AP Enemy Raid launches, and all three of your Families are at 3 Ferocity, that Enemy Raid doubles in size (to 18 AP)!

Elders can try to reduce Ferocity (Step 3, Planning), this also being a good way to increase your Military or Culture if < 5. Or Families that Escape or are Caught will replace on the map at any Ferocity you desire (see Raid Ends on Flowchart).

Ferocity automatically resets to 0 during the Discard Phase (2.3.4) for any Family that has no Man counter, though you gain nothing extra from this (other than any given Evasion improvement on the Family counter).

Ok, that should do it for now. NW requires a lot of focus and attention-to-detail to play properly when learning, but the end results are well worth it.

I welcome any comments or corrections... thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rise of the People - GETTING STARTED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks NICE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My goodness! Is this a game or a college thesis? I was looking forward to this game, but now I'm beginning to think my civilization building IQ is way insufficient. Am I correct to assume that this is a difficult game to pick up and play without much time in study?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbat00 wrote:
Am I correct to assume that this is a difficult game to pick up and play without much time in study?

First time yes, second time (and thereafter) no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Butler
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:

Elders can try to reduce Ferocity (Step 3, Planning), this also being a good way to increase your Military or Culture if < 5.

Nice, I had overlooked this way to increase military/culture. Good starter guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jim, that's the intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Butler
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition, I would add the tribal council as something I seem to forget about (3.2.8). If you have a family that you don't want to move or raid with, this is a good "free" option with no bad benefits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Umbrella wrote:
In addition, I would add the tribal council as something I seem to forget about (3.2.8). If you have a family that you don't want to move or raid with, this is a good "free" option with no bad benefits.

That's funny you should mention that - in my game this morning, I was at 1 AP (just obtained from a Tribal Council), and then an Enemy Raid launched.

I was able to save a Family from Battle by using that AP to Harass, which left the Raid one space short of engaging me.

The results likely would have been very bad for the Family (Enemy Ferocity was at 7), so thematically the council's wisdom prevented a disaster.

Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about halfway through my first game of Rise of the People after working through the play book tutorial, but I don't recall seeing any way in which black cubes find their way into the Subjugation of New Mexico space. I'm sure I'm just missing it in the rules, but how does this happen? I thought only red cubes could be placed in that space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HI William, it's via Good Medicine (8.1) - a discussion thread has started here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1052782/medicine-or-vp-check
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.