Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate T.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
nom nom nom
mbmbmbmbmb
In a case where I wanted to take an Event to prevent the other player from taking it, is it allowed to take an Event if there are no legal targets for it?

For example, Mountain Fastness: "Move a Faction's pieces from 2 Mountains where it has no Bases to Available."

In this case, if I were Coalition and I wanted to remove Taliban pieces, but no Taliban were in Mountains, would I have to remove other factions or could I choose to remove nothing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be better for you to take an Op with no special activity; then the 2nd faction cannot choose the event anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, though Nate's thinking is logical!

I've been frustrated in this game by quite a few Event Cards being of such little consequence or relevance, that the excitement I got in ploughing through the deck of Andean Abyss, just isn't fully here with ADP. My .02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
nom nom nom
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
It would be better for you to take an Op with no special activity; then the 2nd faction cannot choose the event anyway.

I agree. The situations where it would occur are probably rare, but there could be times with Government, and Gov't resources are too low for an Op.
I probably should have used Government as an example, as they have no 0 cost Ops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NthPower wrote:
In a case where I wanted to take an Event to prevent the other player from taking it, is it allowed to take an Event if there are no legal targets for it?

For example, Mountain Fastness: "Move a Faction's pieces from 2 Mountains where it has no Bases to Available."

In this case, if I were Coalition and I wanted to remove Taliban pieces, but no Taliban were in Mountains, would I have to remove other factions or could I choose to remove nothing?

You would have to implement the Event to the degree that you can, including affecting some Faction's pieces if you can. (Note that placing a couple Warlords Guerrillas somewhere, perhaps where they could discomfort the Taliban, with the shaded text would be an additional option.) If none of the unshaded text could be implemented, that would still be a legal execution of the Event.

Quote:
5.1.3 If ... not all of an executed Event’s text can be carried out, implement that which can.

vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.