Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garden Dice has been selected by GAMES magazine as its traditional game of the year! The selection was made public today on the GAMES magazine website at www.gamesmagazine-online.com. The annual buyer's guide issue will hit newsstands on October 15th. Editor John J. McCallion described Garden Dice as an "immensely enjoyable dice game that offers plenty of scope to control your destiny".

Other games selected for awards in the December buyer's guide issue include Kulami (best new abstract strategy game), Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar (best new advanced strategy game), and Morels (best new card game). A complete list of winners can be seen on the GAMES magazine website at www.gamesmagazine-online.com/gameslinks/gameofyear.html.

Meridae Games would like to thank Mr. McCallion and GAMES magazine for the glowing review and for this great honor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Razo
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Doug. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CleverNameGoesHere
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
It is known? What exactly is known? And who knows it? I know nothing...
badge
"Oh, Sam. Have you seen Red Cliff yet?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Doug! Really happy for you!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Maharipissu
msg tools
Excellent. Another award for the USA! I have been addicted to it since a friend introduced me to it. The full list can also be seen at www.funagain.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Kudos Doug!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G W M
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Don't play in the street....
mbmbmbmbmb
Well deserved Doug congrats. GM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coates
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome! Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
Congradulations! Well deserved, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't have happened to a worthier game!

You sound rightfully proud!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much guys, and thanks for the awesome support!

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmb
Well done Doug...you must be stoked - Congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Burzykowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Episode # 326 of the Dice Tower Podcast, Tom Vasel, noted game reviewer, and Eric Summerer provide some general commentary on game awards. At 28:15 in the podcast, they specifically reference Games Magazine: Game of the Year - Garden Dice.

Tom comments that even though he played a preview copy of Garden Dice last year he didn’t remember playing the game until learning of the Games Magazine Award. From the tone of their comments one can gauge their irreverence for the Games Magazine Award and by association they also sound dismissive of Garden Dice. Tom and Eric then commit to playing Garden Dice and providing feedback of the game in some future podcast.

I'm requesting fans of the game of Garden Dice hold Tom and Eric accountable and ask them to perform due diligence and provide a fair assessment of Garden Dice in spite of their apparent disdain for the Games Magazine: GotY Award.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepodcastepisode/107315/tdt-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Maharipissu
msg tools
I am unsure from what you say if they disdain the award in general or just the selection of Garden Dice. They certainly have a perfect right to disagree with that individual selection. If it is the former, I wonder if they also disdain the IGA for ALSO selecting Trajan last year. I get the impression that far too many reviewers spend more time reviewing themselves and their high standards than the games..................

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harry Maharipissu wrote:
I am unsure from what you say if they disdain the award in general or just the selection of Garden Dice. They certainly have a perfect right to disagree with that individual selection. If it is the former, I wonder if they also disdain the IGA for ALSO selecting Trajan last year. I get the impression that far too many reviewers spend more time reviewing themselves and their high standards than the games..................

Well, first James throws his aspersions onto games awards in general and espouses why they are ineffective. However, I believe Tom & Eric's apparent distaste is for the Games Magazine award. Their negativity splashes over to Garden Dice and may suffer from basic guilt by association. Hence, my request for a fair assessment of the game.

Were their other worthy choices for Games Magazine's: GotY Award? Are the categories and criteria for this award murky? On both accounts most certainly. However, after my many sessions with Garden Dice, I believe the game can uphold the award on its own merits.

BTW, I also agree with your final sentence. Notice how their discussion borders on hypocritical as they hint at their own awards show as a viable and worthy alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Maharipissu
msg tools
Captain Y!
Thank you for your response. The list offers so many games in different categories that I would not be surprised if they too felt that there were "other worth choices". Only one can win the top spot. It was love at first sight for me and, having played Garden Dice extensively since an acquaintance introduced me to it, I think it is a fantastic game that could not garner enough awards to satisfy me. As for murkiness, I personally am still reeling from the inclusion of Qwixx as a potential SDJ winner. That does not mean that I have not enjoyed SDJ winners in the past, or would speak disparagingly of the selectors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.