Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want to increase your appetite and appreciation for this game, read the definitive history of the Lewis and Clark exposition by Stephen Ambrose - Undaunted Courage.

Also Wikipedia and other online sources will add to your interest in the awesome setting of this game. I don't know how much I will enjoy the GWME-play (other than what I can ascertain from the rules), but I'll buy it simply for the theme and the map! Ambrose's book just whets my appetite to play the game.

Of course, the game is not a close simulation of actual historical events, but it does convey the theme better than most Euro games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tron 10
msg tools
mbmbmb
Or...

Watch the Ken Burns documentary from PBS, The Corp of Discovery.
It's an excellent way to learn about the Lewis & Clark expedition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read Undaunted Courage just last year - fascinating reading. I was shocked to learn the details of Lewis' death - I had no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read the wikipedia page.
Interesting read indeed and what surprised me most is that it seemed to be a scientific expedition (in addition to finding an all-water route to the pacific), rather than a religious mission.

I had never heard about this before (nor have people around me), but I guess that is because it is of most importance to American history and not so much to that of the rest of the world (not trying to be harsh here).

Thanks for the tip. I'm interested in the game already and this just adds that extra bit of flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
robertopellizini wrote:
Interesting read indeed and what surprised me most is that it seemed to be a scientific expedition (in addition to finding an all-water route to the pacific), rather than a religious mission.

Just curious, Meneer de Vos: why was that surprising?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Romano
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mb
If there is one thing that is not scientific is Stephen Ambrose`s way of writing history.

I read other book of his, not this one. But he is a historian that typically manipulates all facts and data to fulfill the objective that he stipulated before the writing (in a word, this practice is usually called "theleological"). In result, the story he tells is a coherent and perfect telling that ends right where he wants it to end: courage of someone, braveness of another, and so on. In Band of Brothers, for an example, all the story is a perfect coherent telling to conclude that Easy Company was a band of brothers. No contradictions, no dilemas, no complexities of the human beings.

Anyhow, just my two cents: maybe could be a good shot to find some other histories on the Lewis and Clark matter. If anyone knows any, I would be happy to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
I don't know how much I will enjoy the GWME-play

What is GWME?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GWME is code for "game." Used by men who don't want the uninitiated to know what they're talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Doguet
France
SAINT SYLVAIN
SEINE MARITIME
flag msg tools
Unaware... Really ?
badge
In case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night !
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
GWME is code for "game." Used by men who don't want the uninitiated to know what they're talking about.

That's what I love on BGG : people simply discussing, explaining, teaching other people without any of the sarcasm, mockery or contempt that can be found on the rest of the Internet. Many thanks to you, Mr Hamrick, because I learned something new today...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédrick Chaboussit
France
Niort
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May I add that while developping the game I went through a lot of literature about the L&C expedition : its encyclopedia by Ned Blackhawk, Elin Woodger and Brandon Toropov is the most complete.

It was a human adventure above all.

I love the fact that the gameplay of our game itself gives the following lesson : the player who recruits the encountered characters best has the best chances of winning. You will understand it after a play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno Romano wrote:
If there is one thing that is not scientific is Stephen Ambrose`s way of writing history.

I read other book of his, not this one. But he is a historian that typically manipulates all facts and data to fulfill the objective that he stipulated before the writing (in a word, this practice is usually called "theleological"). In result, the story he tells is a coherent and perfect telling that ends right where he wants it to end: courage of someone, braveness of another, and so on. In Band of Brothers, for an example, all the story is a perfect coherent telling to conclude that Easy Company was a band of brothers. No contradictions, no dilemas, no complexities of the human beings.

Anyhow, just my two cents: maybe could be a good shot to find some other histories on the Lewis and Clark matter. If anyone knows any, I would be happy to check it out.

Ambrose had his biases and he wasn't shy about expressing them. However, Undaunted Courage was excellent. Lewis & Clark do not come off as "great American heroes" or anything. Their abilities and accomplishments as described in the book are as impressive as you'd expect, but their flaws are laid out for the reader as well. The story amazes. Read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
robertopellizini wrote:

Wait. A Canadian on a thread about Lewis & Clark who didn't mention Alexander Mackenzie? I thought I had the world figured out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
amacleod wrote:
robertopellizini wrote:

Wait. A Canadian on a thread about Lewis & Clark who didn't mention Alexander Mackenzie? I thought I had the world figured out.

No need to mention Alexander Mackenzie: he is your solitaire opponent in the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
stevepop wrote:
amacleod wrote:
robertopellizini wrote:

No need to mention Alexander Mackenzie: he is your solitaire opponent in the game!

Always wanted to read a book-length account of Mackenzie's expeditions (and now Peter Pond's thanks to the Internet). None of the books on them seem to get high marks. Maybe we could get a Canadian historian to stop thinking about that war that their British masters fought against 'merica and write more about the Scot. I'll read it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua DeBonis
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno Romano wrote:

Two other books on the topic I highly recommend:
The Lewis and Clark Journals (Abridged Edition) edited by Gary Moulton
Lewis and Clark Among the Indians by James Ronda

I'm really looking forward to the U.S. release of this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.