Subject: Anyone know how to defeat cloak with the dominion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Strickler II
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
With the currently launched 2 ships (Gor Portas and Kraxon), that only come as blisters in the initial launch, how does one go about defeating any ship that can cloak?

I mean, I don't want to even get into how OP cloaking is (since it almost quadruples a ships defensive capabilities without them even having to declare an evade token), but there are ships out there that are just a monster when cloaked and combined with certain other elements (I'm looking at you IRW Khazara).

I have tried the strategy of increasing how many attack dice I roll, however I can only get up to a maximum of 5 (and that is using all the cards available at my disposal from every ship launched so far). Statistically this is a wash when compared to most cloak ships, who will be able to avoid almost every shot while returning fire at about the same rate (4-5 attack dice) and I can only get a maximum of 3 defense dice.

If either of the games creators find this message, I am really looking for help. I am playing as the only Dominion player in the Las Vegas OP and am getting completely stomped by any cloaking ship cry

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
1. More dice. The more dice you roll the more chances you have to get a hit through. Requires some luck though as you need hits and they need blanks/battle stations.

2. Battle stations increases the chance/number of hits you can land on a ship.

3. Long Ranged Tachyon Scan (5th wing patrol craft) means they roll 2 less defense dice. No action required.

4. Well placed Cloaked mines from the Praetus.

5. Donatra gives +1 attack die to ally ships within range 1.

6. Kahn, Toreth (and others) allow you to convert a hit to a crit. Make it hurt.

7. The ferengi ship from OP1.

Looks like there is a full list of ships, captains, crew, weapons ETC. here:
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479002

you can look through the list and build from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that a hit or a crit that slips through the cloak goes straight to the hull. Once a cloaked ship starts receiving criticals, it may not stay that way for long: little things (like risking an additional hit to perform a red maneuver) are going to trip it up and make it easier to keep hitting.

Maneuver and firing arcs are also important. Pick a ship to play that has wide firing arcs and a rearward arc, like the Miranda. Try to do something unexpected if you can't keep the cloaked ship in your arcs. At least, stay out of the cloaked ship's arc!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are your restrictions? Have you tried the following:

4 Galor Class
3 Galor Class, Romulan Science w/ Donatra
Kraxon w/ Mirok + Konmel , Galor w/ Donatra, Breen Cruiser w/ Picard + Energy Dissipator
3 Galor w/ EM Pulse (Dominion) + Mirok/Kyle/Konmel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galor ships with the anti-proton scan, target locking when able, but scanning always first. That gives you 4 attack dice +1 for AP Scan versus -1 defense die because of the scan, and then add in Gul Danar for a free re-roll of a blank result. Glinn Telle helps protect Danar's ship from damage as well when needed.

Gor Portas w/Thot Gor, Breen Aide, Energy Disipator, and Photons
Kraxon w/Gul Danar, AP Scan
Galor class w/AP Scan
100 points

Scan every turn, have the Gor Portas Target Lock if able, since it won't lose it for it's Photons, you won't need to re-acquire the lock. Both Cardassian ships will be rolling five dice versus one less defense dice, and the Gor Portas can try lucky Photon shots versus one less defense, until getting to range one to try its luck with the ED Field, and the Aid will turn a miss to a hit each turn, while Danar gets the re-roll. As has been pointed out, each Crit goes straight to the hull of the cloaked ship, and those do add up after a bit. Your looking at three 5dice attacks a turn versus five defense dice for Romulans, and four for Klingons. Those Galors are tough little ships, with nice 180 degree firing arcs. That's just my take on a balanced all Dominion build, that could cause some damage to cloaked types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Knight
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion are possibly the best faction against cloaked ships.

Breen Aide

Anti-Proton Scan

Energy Dissipation Field

If you can get a lock with the Portas it never goes away when you fire torpedoes (which have the best range of any torpedo)

They also get a bunch of dice manipulation abilities to force hits through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toreth as a captain is nice in general for being able to turn a successful hit into a guaranteed crit. Against any cloaked ship that makes her very effective. I realize she's not Dominion but a straight pure build at this stage is very restrictive, build-wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gor Portas, target lock, once locked, cloaking will not remove it. load up with Plasma torps and Photons

The issues I see so far is action management, more ships, more actions. I find issue with this. Actions should somehow be based on points or something else maybe even have each ship with a base amount of actions. It would help mitigate the disadvantage of loading fewer ships. As of now its simply a numbers game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tribbles are a dominion fleets best friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cloaking is not overpowered. In one of my Month 1 events, I ran no cloak when nearly everyone else was cloaking and I didn't lose a round. You just have to maximize your attack die while minimizing their agility as much as possible.

Secondary weapons may be unreliable. They will already be cloaked before they get within firing range, which would limit Photon Torpedoes. I personally think Energy Dissipator is too unreliable, as you are likely going to be rolling 3 die to their 5-6.

Therefore, you need to rely on things to pump up your primary weapons and limit their agility. Antiproton Scan is a beast, since if they are cloaked and you have a scan token you get +1 attack and they get -1 agility. Antiproton Scan and Breen Aide will not operate together, since you can only use a token (such as Scan) to trigger 1 upgrade, but that doesn't mean that Breen Aide still isn't good. Forward Weapons Grid + Antiproton Scan means you get +1 against each ship and each ship gets -1. Forward Weapons Grid does not require a Target Lock, operates at all ranges, and is 5 die instead of just 3 as Energy Dissipator. EM Pulse is also viable tech.

In order for full use, you do need to go outside the fleet. There is a common combo of using Kraxon + Donatra + Counter Attack to be able to transfer a hit from a friendly ship to the Kraxon to activate Counter Attack. Donatra also adds attack die to your other ships. You also have O'Brien crew that works through an opponent's cloak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Scott. Cloaking is pretty balanced, for sure. While you get to roll lots of defense dice, you don't have shields so any hits that make it through are going to hurt. Especially since there's a good chance of a critical or two. There were actually times in my OP event where I decided I didn't want to cloak so I could use my shields instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nineteen 73
msg tools
I don't believe cloaking is as OP as you may think. When analyzing the attack and defense die you'll notice that there are more chances to hit/crit than to evade. The defense die also has 3 blank sides versus the attack die which has two.

Even if your opponent is utilizing an evade or battleship token, your chance of hitting is far better than their chance to evade.

Your best bet is to use what token(s) and upgrades possible to turn battlestations into hits or crits or rerolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
msg tools
Lots of dice, and scan. I love galors, since they're 4 dice. Always scan, unless you have an opening for a target lock which is killer (effectively it's +1 hit on average with 4 dice). You've got plenty of hull and shields so rarely need to evade unless you have no shots.

Also breen aids are cheap and with the scan effectively are giving you another die.

On top of all this get up as close as you can. You'll tear big cloak ships like valdores apart. Crits are more likely to go through, and they can't out roll you every time.

Most of the other fancy equipment and gear is a waste of points I think. Attack Dice > Hull/shields > crew/tech tricks in my opinion. 3 ships is a minimum, and 4 is better I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bishop
msg tools
Scotty is also really nice if you can come in from the side. It may be hard to leave 2 shields up for you, but in my games once I got scotty off he was going off every turn.

+2 ATK dice can swing games, especially with you rolling 4-5 dice to begin with.

Also I don't know if this has been mentioned... but secondary weapons don't trigger the range 3 +1 green evade dice... Is it possible you guys missed this and that's why they're rolling so many?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.