United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I searched the Forums here and even though I know there are lots of tips on running a league, I was hoping I could ask a few questions and this thread could become a resource for others as well.

One question - for those who run a league - Do you have players play against each other whenever they can during the week?

This is sort of what I was thinking of setting up, having like a 2 hour thing once a week. Start with the games that had been set up last week. Have the after game effects right there, getting income and leveling up players and such. After that allow the challenges for next weeks games to be made, then MVP auction. Would that format work? What could we improve on?

To start the whole thing off I was planning on doing like a teaching tournament one saturday before the league would actually start, maybe two saturdays back to back to really help people to understand the rules. I would run it just like a league, I wouldn't play a team, just keep the games flowing. I was planning on printing out RangerRob's DB reference to help clarify the rules.

Any advice? Maybe I should post this as a separate thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, I put a response on the other thread then found this! Have deleted my response there and here are my experiences:

- I did a round robin format where everybody played everybody else in the league twice. The first time they randomly picked who was home/away and the next time they played out the opposite (some people think it's an advantage to go first, others to go last because you get the last rush of the game, so this evened it out).

- MVP auctions didn't take place before the first two rounds but after that once everybody had their opponent I randomly allocated some MVPs for that week. There were 8 of us in the league so I usually put in 3 or 4 MVPs only. This made sure that the league wasn't flooded with cheap MVPs and meant they didn't dominate games.

- we used the champions format from S2 so everybody got 6mc just for playing plus their normal winnings. I did this to avoid people losing players too easily but there weren't that many deaths in our league so it did allow players to get coaching dice, cards etc. more easily so I'm on the fence about whether I'd use it again (or perhaps I'd use it for the first few rounds to avoid early deaths then stop it)

- we didn't rank the league on team ranking as I think this is a bad way to do it. Instead you got 3 points for a LS win, 2 points for a regular win, and 1 point if you lost.

- at the end of the league we had play-offs between the top four where first played fourth and second played third then the winners of those played a final and the losers a 3rd/4th placed play-off. In both matches whoever was the highest ranked player got to pick whether they were home or away. There was also no experience or revenue from the games but any players killed recieved full revival for free
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We tried having a league boot-strap night with 2-3 tables going and everybody doing a couple matches the same night, but it never materialized.

In the end we settled on a free format where everybody plays everybody else's at least once to start with.. whenever they want.. before Christmas ideally.. only 4 of us, alas..

Return matches strongly encouraged, as well as extra friendly matches like when you are playing somebody and the match goes faster than expected and you want to play again right away.

Season 1 rules/races (with the exception of dead player revivals), to make it simple; no mvps auctions.. all season 1 mvps (one instance of each) are available to hire before every single match (or game night) by everyone who has the cash to pay him/her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shorthose
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TLDR version:

*One night to play all games is infinitely better, if you can't manage that I'd still let lower ranked team pick their opponents after a "league round" and let them play their game whenever they can.

*Definitely print off RangerBob's reference. It's insanely useful.

Longer:

Our group play a whole bunch of different rules. There are six of us and it's important to mention that nobody ever misses a night really. We're in our fourth season now.

Firstly, we don't use MVPs. Ever. We just don't particularly like them and it didn't work with our fluff. Instead, at the beginning of the season we rolled for a series of "free agents" from the Season 1 and 2 lists. Everyone had a hand in naming them. I think there are six of them in total at the moment. These can be hired for 10mc by underdog teams. Additionally, when any of these "free agents" skill up the coach who caused the skill up rolls for player advancement. The free agents keep their skills / xp from game to time. If they die, the league immediately signs another free agent (the team at the bottom of the table choose from the Season 1 or 2 table).

Our teams play six regular league games. Friendlies aren't allowed. So that's two games every Tuesday night. The lowest team picks their opponent first. This works better as anyone at the bottom of the pile doesn't get too discouraged. However, you will encounter situations where you play the same team a bunch of times. We don't mind this, other people might.

Teams get 3 for a LS win, 2 points for a regular win and 1 point for a loss. Teams roll normally for money but they also get 1 mc per kill or 3+ strike.

At the end of the three-week six-game regular season, we award the teams with the most kills and 3+ strikes with a trophy and they get to assign 1 bonus xp to the player with the most kills or 3+ strikes on their team.

Then first ranked and second play in a "league cup game" while 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5 for a chance to get in the playoffs. The league cup winner takes the League Trophy and 1 free xp for a player of their choosing.

The losers of 3/6 and 4/5 games then battle to avoid "winning" the Wooden Spoon, whilst everyone else plays in the playoffs and eventually the Grand Final.

The Grand Final yields double the normal money. The winner assigns enough xp to skill up any player of their choosing. This player is known as the Grand Final MVP.

After the season, we have a draft. It's done in the same way as the free agents and one player is drawn per team. The "winner" of the Wooden Spoon (loser of the league) chooses the draft order. This means that an Orx team can end up with Human Striker on it, etc. For some, this might break the game - but we love it. It keeps it interesting. And the Forge Father Guard on my human team feels right at home haha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool tips guys thank you! Please others who come across this thread keep them coming. I've already seen a few ideas I want to incorporate into our league. When I start it here later this month, Ill be sure to post how it goes for others!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.