Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff mitcham
msg tools
I am currently running a team of:
soontir fel, stealth device, ptl
turr phennir, stealth device, VI
darth vadar, engine upgrade, cluster missiles
total 99-points

I want to spend the last point to give vadar either determination or adrenaline rush. k-turn plus double action seems sweet but determination seems like the safe play. Any advice on this or the whole team in general very appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Nixon
msg tools
mbmbmb
ur best option might b to not spend the point at all. that way u will have the initiative over 100pt squads.
if u really want to spend it tho id go for determination or even veteran instincts... Han Shoots First? i dont think so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silver_Surfer wrote:
ur best option might b to not spend the point at all. that way u will have the initiative over 100pt squads.
if u really want to spend it tho id go for determination or even veteran instincts... Han Shoots First? i dont think so.

Okay .. now my brain hurts ...

But then I am probably just getting old and not used to being bombarded with chat speak on a regular basis anymore.

And as to the actual point:
Shooting first at equal Pilot Skill does not really change anything, since the other guy still gets his shot.

The real point is to move first, but that is only important for action denial and blocking paths. If you have Vader and my favorite interceptors in the List you will likely want to move last to have more information on where everyone is and how to best use your actions. So I'd say, go spend that point.

Determination is very luck dependent. You only have 3 body points so you will probably only end up getting one crit anyway. So in two out of three games it doesn't really do anything for you whereas adrenaline rush can give you that edge that it provides at any point of your choice in every game.

That said, Lady Luck likes irony so obviously you will be bombarded with Pilot Crits so long as you are using adrenaline rush and then never again when you switch it over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mitcham wrote:
total 99-points

I want to spend the last point to give vadar either determination or adrenaline rush. k-turn plus double action seems sweet but determination seems like the safe play. Any advice on this or the whole team in general very appreciated.

As to the rest of your list:
It is something that I'd like to play, but wouldn't expect to win a lot with.

You are putting a LOT of points into being able to stay out of people's firing arcs and getting them in your own and trading away "strength in numbers" for it. It will fare very well against anything that does not have a 360 Arc if you know what you are doing, but Falcons, Y-Wings and probably even HWKs will eat this list for breakfast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Nixon
msg tools
mbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
Silver_Surfer wrote:

Okay .. now my brain hurts ...

But then I am probably just getting old and not used to being bombarded with chat speak on a regular basis anymore.

Shooting first at equal Pilot Skill does not really change anything, since the other guy still gets his shot.

The real point is to move first, but that is only important for action denial and blocking paths. If you have Vader and my favorite interceptors in the List you will likely want to move last to have more information on where everyone is and how to best use your actions. So I'd say, go spend that point.

Determination is very luck dependent. You only have 3 body points so you will probably only end up getting one crit anyway. So in two out of three games it doesn't really do anything for you whereas adrenaline rush can give you that edge that it provides at any point of your choice in every game.

That said, Lady Luck likes irony so obviously you will be bombarded with Pilot Crits so long as you are using adrenaline rush and then never again when you switch it over.

vader + veteran instincts = 11 pilot skill. this lets u shoot before 9 skill pilots, and move after they move

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I curb stomped a list similar to this with a Lando-Biggs-AWing list. So I agree that you need to stay far far away from Falcon lists if you run this.

I would recommend Adrenaline Rush over Determination. With only 3 hull points you're not going to be getting a lot of chances to use it. I like Determination more with ships that have lots of hull like a TIE-Bomber or any large base ship.

I've used Adrenaline Rush with much success on my B-Wing. Sometimes a red maneuver is just key to getting that range 1 shot and using AR to still get your action can be a clutch move to knock off a ship. Or if you had just used a red maneuver and your opponent thinks he knows right where you're going, pull something crazy out and leave him with his pants down. Works great with Ibtisam since she loves being stressed. I always have a red maneuver up my sleeve still if I need it. I can only imagine tossing it on Vader. That K-Turn I just took...yeah, still get my double actions. For 1 point, I love that card!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:

It does for Turr Phennir. For instance, a match with Turr Phennir + Veteran Instinct vs Wedge is often determined by who has initiative.

I'd either save the point for initiative or go with Adrenaline Rush, because Vader losing 2 actions (either because he K-turned or took stress from Kath Scarlet or a face-up damage card) is really annoying. Veteran Instinct is a wasted point on Vader in 99% of cases, and his shields make Determination less effective (I'd consider Determination on an unshielded ship, and would consider Veteran Instinct on, say, a Sabre Squadron Pilot).

Another option might be Draw Their Fire. Vader might not be within range of the others all the time, but he is unlikely to be your opponent's primary target. Using his shields to absorb a crit destined for one of the other, more threatening pilots could be a turning point in a match. But it might be too rare or conditional, and initiative might be more important to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mitcham wrote:
total 99-points

Drop the Cluster Missiles, and replace them with Concussion Missiles, a Stealth Device + Adrenaline Rush, etc.

Particularly with Turr in the mix I'd say 99 points is a good build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
mitcham wrote:
total 99-points

im flying this variant:

Darth Vader / Engine Upgrade / Expose (i find that for the same 4 points as missiles, expose is a lot better since it is reusable, and being an action, you can choose when you want to use it, ie. when you are outside of your opponent's firing arcs, or when you have acquired a TL from previous turn, and can now go for the kill with a focus + expose)

Soontir / PTL / Stealth

Turr / Veteran Instincts / Shield Upgrade (I find stealth device to be very very unreliable on Turr, I'd much rather take an added hp. Prevents him from dying to those random OHKOs string of 3 hits vs string of blank evade dices. Plus, you get to bleed off that final 1 point to get rid of initiative, so Soontir and Vader can be much more effective at their jobs)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sibicky

Washington
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb

The lists that will give this list trouble involve either A) lots of ships (and consequently, lots of firing arcs and/or action denials) or B) 360 arcs (such as HSF). Why not take one of these two weaknesses off of the table and trade in concussion missiles for Assault Missiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
[Shooting first matters] for Turr Phennir.

Which is why mixing Turr and Soontir into a squadron together is already one minor strike against it. You're schizophrenic on whether you want initiative or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Nixon
msg tools
mbmbmb
mitcham wrote:
total 99-points

hmm. draw their fire on vader might actually be ok. it just makes him even more of a target. but u can use that against them by keeping him outta the front line, sorta like biggs flying in a reverse v formation then split off into their own flight patterns and regroup. could b fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
only problem about slapping DrawTheirFire on Vader is that Vader holds the most points in your team, and if he goes down, there will be quite a lot of point catchup that you will need to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.