Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Sub game for a noob rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New to wargaming in general. Looking for a solitaire sub game. I am just learning games like ambush and hornet leader cao. Dont mind complex/fiddly games since i enjoy arkham horror and mageknight.

Already have red november and nemo's war. Looking for real world sub game, ww2.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pfaff
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 may be what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
aapkw9 wrote:
The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 may be what you are looking for.

That would be my suggestion. It should be shipping the first week of November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't min Print and Play games, this is a very nice SUB game: Raider 16: Atlantis

This game was an entry in the 2011 Solitaire Print and Play Contest, where it won the Best Wargame category. I remember playing it at that point, and had some fun with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I really can't
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for U-Boat Leader. It is fun and not too complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Emery
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the rules for The Hunters are available, so maybe check 'em out and see if it's something you'd like. The buzz is positive and the game it's based on is generally well-regarded. I'm looking forward to checking it out myself.

I also liked Silent War a lot. Definitely a step up in terms of complexity/general fiddlyness, but there's an *excellent* VASSAL module if you're into that sort of thing that can mitigate much of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
word_virus wrote:
I also liked Silent War a lot. Definitely a step up in terms of complexity/general fiddlyness, but there's an *excellent* VASSAL module if you're into that sort of thing that can mitigate much of that.

I just acquired Silent War and am using Vassal to play. There are quite a few handy aspects to Vassal, so I recommend it as well, especially if you can't keep the physical game set up.

Just know that Silent War takes place at the grand strategic level of sub warfare in the PTO of WWII. Sub combat is represented quite abstractly. It's also more of a historical simulation than a game. Whereas Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations (which you're familiar with) is a game and not a simulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
HONOLULU
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Loups gris en Atlantique if you know a little French.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43. It's not out yet, but you can still get it for one more week at the pre-order price...$28.

There is a pretty long thread at Consimworld that discusses this game. Based on that thread, I am looking forward to getting my hands on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I humbly recommend The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 that will be released soon? (ducking)

Besides U-Boat Leader, one worth a shot is the sometimes overlooked Run Silent, Run Deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first sub game.
Sub Search
Actually, it was a lot of fun for a 10-year-old. It may have been my proto-wargaming experience.

It could be worse, I pondered posting a game with a theme based on sexual submissiveness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
consimworld wrote:
...one worth a shot is the sometimes overlooked Run Silent, Run Deep.
Terrific little game and a good introduction to wargaming. I taught my fiancee (not a boardgamer but a trooper) and she enjoyed it.

Another good game, but a little more complicated, is Submarine. It really shines if umpired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.