Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently my favorite games are Mage Knight and Alien Frontiers. I like a lot of other games, but haven't quite found any that get as good as those two. One thing I really like about them is the leveling up / forward momentum the games get (Mage Knight with leveling up and buying cards ; alien frontiers with buying cards and area control bonuses). The other thing I really like is the ability to manipulate your hand to bring you to multiple good options. In AF you can puzzle out how to manipulate the dice with your cards in order to place your characters in the exact spot you want. I also like that while both games have elements of luck and chance, none are 'roll the dice, this is how well you did' (my least favorite mechanic.

I as thinking of going for Lords Of The Waterdeep, but I honestly think there isn't enough puzzle elements there for me and that I'd almost always still play AF instead because of that. I tried Thunderstone, but found it way too chancey, and you can only do two things (buy or go to dungeon) and not manipulate the cards/options really. Still a good game that I would gladly play, just not one I want to buy. Agricola didn't really work for me, a little too resource management heavy maybe? (haven't quite figured out why it doesn't work for me yet, but I respect it as a well designed game. It may be the lack of clear direct goals and being more micro management heavy; Alien Frontiers: land crap / Mage Knight: defeat crap.

I was considering other Vlaada games like Space Alert and Dungeon Lords as well, but I haven't had a chance to play them yet anywhere so I'm hesitant to make a blind purchase. The real time elements of Space Alert make it seem a little too party-game to me (which I usually don't care for), but it's hard to tell without having played. Some reviews said they didn't like the puzzle fighting for Dungeon Lords, which is the part that interests me most, but then they point out that it feels more like a mini game instead.

I think Mage Knight is near perfect, except for the average play time. That said, if that's what it takes to have a great puzzle game, then so be it.

Thanks for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
The character abilities in Darkest Night (First edition) coincide with the puzzle elements of the game. The new expansion inteoduces quests which adds a lot of dynamics and replayability. Check it out. You also might enjoy the puzzle aspects of Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, its very akin to Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally kind of feels like a puzzle. Each turn, you have to figure out how to program your robot so it goes where you need it to. Of course, you also have to be okay with the conflict element of the game (other people shooting at you, running into you, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you would enjoy The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I will definitely look into those games!

I thought of one more example, which is a video game strangely, called Might and Magic Clash Of Heroes (if you haven't played it heck it out!). You manipulat characters by moving them or deleting them, to solve/form puzzles, which then allow you to either attack or block. It's one of the best board games that isn't a board game I've ever played. (Kinda wish they'd make an adaptation). I think in most these cases, the puzzle/manipulation is used to then do a basic move in the game. Somehow that makes it really fascinatin to me.

Another game I played recently that I liked the mechanics to (but not the game really) was Mr Jack Pocket. I really liked manipulating the tiles and line of site. But I felt the game was unbalanced and lacked some sort o additional mechanic that might help make it more interesting. Still, fun quick game.

Keep the suggestions coming, I need a long list of things to keep an eye out it at board game meetups in LA. Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.