Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the question pops up here and there we decided to post here an official addendum, by both Wolf and Thomas, on the rules. Some people have a problem with the eventdeck and the fact that it can change your play a lot. Actually that's the reason why it is in there..to make things unpredictable. You have to adapt, change plans en live the game as you live life, with sudden strikes of faith.
But we are aware that we love this kind of playing. Still we understand that there are people who can't appreciate such kind of happenings.
Our philosophy is that people should have fun with games. We make it the way we like it and give it in your hands. It's your precious time, your money, your evening...so you should have fun. And if altering some things ( which don't break the game) , makes your fun even bigger,... do so ! And have fun !
Of course this text does not count for the numerous people who like the game as it is. This text is for the people who don't like the eventdeck and don't want to take it out, because it's not in the rules ... If you have read this below, ..it is in the rules from here on ...

1. Hereby we declare that you can leave the eventdeck out of the game if that makes your joy and fun bigger.
The game works perfectly without. It will be a little less challenging, bit easier and more predictable. But it won't be broken
If you take out the eventdeck , you might have to take out some actioncards reffering to the eventdeck too. But the easiest way is to remove the eventdeck, and just play. If you pull an action card which really refers to the eventdeck ,you can discard thisone and pull another one. Of course you can also just take out some card you dislike and play the game.

Of course you can keep on playing with all the cards if you want. This text does not state at all that there's a problem with the game or with the cards. It only says that a game is made to be fun. You paid, you give your free time to play,...so you deserve to have fun and are allowed to tweak both event and / or action deck so you have the most possible fun.

Hope all people can have fun now . From here on you have the permission to have fun

greets,

Thomas and Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for the Epic Event Deck expansion ... more even tougher event cards. /flex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a better solution would be a list of harsh events that can be removed or even better yet an event deck expansion with both nice and mean events so people can customize as they see fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will leave the customisation to the people playing .

Ow, we will need to make more harsh events than ... Didn t realise
Some people are waiting for the real harsh stuff ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wasp wrote:
I will leave the customisation to the people playing .

Ow, we will need to make more harsh events than ... Didn t realise
Some people are waiting for the real harsh stuff ninja
I think an expansion with both would be perfect then people could customize how they like. Then everyone is happy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Minken
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Connect More to your family, friends, and community over a board game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas - great post! I love how Yedo can be customized for pretty much anyone's tastes!

Sometimes it is also fun if everyone chooses their top 3 or 4 (depending on the # of players) event cards (some good, some brutal - depends on your personality) and make the event deck out of those cards.

For example, if you have 5 players - everyone chooses their favorite 3 cards (for a total of 15 cards). Then shuffle these and use that deck. Not all the cards will be used, so you still do not know if you will get everything you picked. The cool thing about this is that the event deck will take on the personality of the players playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The great thing about modular games is that you can add or remove things without breaking the balance.

There are definitely Dominion cards that I don't play with just because I don't like them personally for whatever reason.

I personally only play on Samurai and like the challenge presented by it (and the need to use forsight and try and grab some defensive cards to plan for it). But I can appreciate the fact that the game can be tailored for those who want a different experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That s a good plan David! Makes a lot of sense and tje group is responsible forntheir own choice .
We have to put that in a variant rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Keyflower fanMicrobadge: Caylus 1303 fanMicrobadge: Heart of CrownMicrobadge: Tyrants of the Underdark fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
It's sad that designers have to say "you have our permission to enjoy the game the way you want to". Do what makes you happy, people. Don't feel constrained by someone else's house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lab Gnome
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
TwentySides wrote:
It's sad that designers have to say "you have our permission to enjoy the game the way you want to". Do what makes you happy, people. Don't feel constrained by someone else's house rules.
I sometimes will lie to people when I teach the rules to board games just so they do not get all caught up in playing with unofficial rules. It is purely for beginner enjoyment and benefit most of the time. In a few rare cases it is because the game is broken with out.

Just is weird that some people are like that, but they are, so I lie to them. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LabGnome wrote:
TwentySides wrote:
I sometimes will lie to people when I teach the rules to board games just so they do not get all caught up in playing with unofficial rules. It is purely for beginner enjoyment and benefit most of the time. In a few rare cases it is because the game is broken with out.

Just is weird that some people are like that, but they are, so I lie to them. devil
Then they go to someone else's house and find out that a) they've never played the game the way it was supposed to be played b) that the game is better with the base rule and c) not to trust you again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - half-full heart containerMicrobadge: Rush fan
Thunkd wrote:
Then they go to someone else's house and find out that a) they've never played the game the way it was supposed to be played b) that the game is better with the base rule and c) not to trust you again.
My experience has been:
d) none of the above.

Being the main game buyer has certain advantages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Ora et Labora
badge
In Saecula Saeculorum
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I don't want to sound harsh or something, but not one of these sound right to me.

a) I have a real problem with your option A. It's always like, "oh, this is the way the game is supposed to be played", well, at least until the expansion comes out, so THEN there will be a completelly new, revolutionary, way to play the game.

I'm really creative with all games I own. I even have a box with variant rules of the games I have. I really like variety in my game sessions, I like trying to match game sessions with participants' tastes and moods, and I feel good when I maximize my investment in a game.

b) this is often false. The game may be better with the base rule in certain occasions, and worse in others. If I thought about tweaking something or playing a variant, it's probably due to some incompatibility with the base rules of the game and the group I'm playing with.

c)If that ever happens, I don't think I'll bother. That person shouldn't have ever been invited to my game table to start with.

curtc wrote:
My experience has been:
d) none of the above.

Absolutely.

EDIT: Grammar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
My experience has been:
d) none of the above.

I call on this. Let's take a simpler game - Tucket to Ride. I must have played it dozens and doZens of times, only to play it once with a new group only to find that I missed the rule where you clear the card row if it ever has 3 multi color trains. So I think this happens to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Falling Waters
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaworu17 wrote:
curtc wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
My experience has been:
d) none of the above.

I call on this. Let's take a simpler game - Tucket to Ride.
Tucket to Ride? Is that a gymnastics game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
StephenM wrote:
Tucket to Ride? Is that a gymnastics game?
or maybe it's a sooth your hemorrhoids during your commute to work game. Either way, probably still more fun than TtR, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Then you just bring out the d) "Oh, I had no idea, that's how it was taught to me" cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
max_s wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Then you just bring out the d) "Oh, I had no idea, that's how it was taught to me" cool
Sure, but in the meantime you've probably already committed yourself to a strategy that doesn't work now. And all your strategy and understanding about the game is based on a variant that no one else plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - half-full heart containerMicrobadge: Rush fan
Why are folks conflating accidentally getting a rule wrong with intentionally imposing a house rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: I am related to Monkeys!Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Aerospace Engineer
The game already has a mechanic (blessings) to avoid the worst of the event deck. Admittedly, I've only played once (and won!), but I almost always had a blessing on hand, and if I used it, I had the opportunity to get another.

I realize that's potentially one action/turn, but realistically, it's more like 2-3 for the whole game. Most of the events just aren't that bad. I negotiated with a player to use a blessing once, with the promise to trade for something he wanted later, so even not having a blessing, it's possible to void the event deck.

Like I said, I only played once, but I like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls