Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Brown
Australia
Ballarat
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all had our first go of just the base game last night (late to the party I know) and it went fairly well.

Was a six player game, I was admiral (as col Tigh)

First thing, I didn't shuffle the crisis deck that well we had 3 cylon attacks in a row, do these stack? Ie if their are already raiders and a base star on the board we add the amount in the picture to the board? (We got to the point of having both base stars and all the raiders in very early)

And for vipers / raiders is shooting an action? Ie can you move into the same area as the enemy and fire on them or do you need to then wait to the next turn...this wasn't very clear.

Also when raiders activate they can only attack things in their area, if their is nothing they move to the closest civi ship...and if that move puts them in the same are as vipers do they all then get to shoot or do they need to be activated again?

And one lat one I think I did the loyalty deck right but we didnt get any colons till the second lot of cards...is this normal or are you supposed to stack it so you have one from the start?

(Ps: one lat thing, how are the expansions? Do they add a lot to the game or should we have a few games of the base game u der our belts first?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
GT86 wrote:
First thing, I didn't shuffle the crisis deck that well we had 3 cylon attacks in a row, do these stack? Ie if their are already raiders and a base star on the board we add the amount in the picture to the board? (We got to the point of having both base stars and all the raiders in very early)

Yes, they stack. In the case of a poorly shuffled Crisis deck, having both basestars and most, if not all raiders, isn't an unusual occurence, so shuffling well is very, very important.

GT86 wrote:
And for vipers / raiders is shooting an action? Ie can you move into the same area as the enemy and fire on them or do you need to then wait to the next turn...this wasn't very clear.

In a Viper, shooting is an action. But, if you're piloting your own viper, you can move to an adjacent sector in the movement step, and then use your action to shoot. Unpiloted vipers can be activated to either move or shoot (but you can activate the same viper twice, to both move and shoot)

GT86 wrote:
Also when raiders activate they can only attack things in their area, if their is nothing they move to the closest civi ship...and if that move puts them in the same are as vipers do they all then get to shoot or do they need to be activated again?

If the raiders can attack something in their sector, they attack. If not, they move and do not attack anything in their new sector until activated again.

GT86 wrote:
And one lat one I think I did the loyalty deck right but we didnt get any colons till the second lot of cards...is this normal or are you supposed to stack it so you have one from the start?

Completely normal. Having both of them right from the start is also normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
After the first few plays, read through the rulebook again. It will be much clearer then. (Also, check the existing rules questions.)

When piloting a viper:
- Movement: move the viper to an adjacent space area OR land the viper
- Action: fire at a cylon ship in the same space area OR move to an adjacent space area OR land the viper OR any other available action from Quorum card, Loyalty card, or skill card, or title card.

Note that moving the ship is also possible as an action.

So yes, you can move to intercept a cylon ship during the movement step, then fire at it at the action step. And do the same when receiving an XO, but with an XO you can also first shoot at a ship, then move to a safer space area.

(Edit: I'm getting doubtful. Can you land a viper as an action? No.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GT86 wrote:

(Ps: one lat thing, how are the expansions? Do they add a lot to the game or should we have a few games of the base game u der our belts first?)

Since no-one answered this yet:
I think the expansions do add something great to the game. More options and more variation. However, I think it is very useful to play a few games with the base game first. Playing with the base game alone allows you to better assess the importance of a few key mechanics of the game.
- The importance of executive orders, launch scouts and investigative committees.
- How to handle your space combat (shooting with galacica, shooting with vipers, moving civilians with communication, letting raiders come to your vipers instead of moving the vipers into a pool of raiders, ... )
- Balancing out your skill sets.

As for the order to add them:
- Add pegasus and daybreak together, and immediately skip cylon leader agendas and treachery from pegasus for the versions from daybreak. Read the exodus rulebook on the skill check mechanic for daybreak skill cards.
- Then add exodus shortly after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
GT86 wrote:
And one lat one I think I did the loyalty deck right but we didnt get any colons till the second lot of cards

Having no colon is a bit weird for a human.

(Sorry... couldn't resist.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Brown
Australia
Ballarat
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
GT86 wrote:
And one lat one I think I did the loyalty deck right but we didnt get any colons till the second lot of cards

Having no colon is a bit weird for a human.

(Sorry... couldn't resist.)

Haha can thank auto correct for that one.

thanks everyone for all the replies really helps out. My group doesn't game much and wants another go at game of thrones before we give this another run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim West
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
a1bert wrote:
(Edit: I'm getting doubtful. Can you land a viper as an action?)

I'm pretty sure you can. "Landing a viper" is just a regular movement but with the addition of giving up a card and changing your player token. I don't think it's otherwise treated differently by the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimEatsApples wrote:
a1bert wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can. "Landing a viper" is just a regular movement but with the addition of giving up a card and changing your player token. I don't think it's otherwise treated differently by the rules.

I'm pretty sure you can't - you can't normally move as an action - moving the Viper you're piloting is an exception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to go with "can't land as an action" - see rulebook.

rulebook pg.26 wrote:
A player may also choose to move to Galactica or Colonial One from a viper during his Movement step.
(underline mine)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim West
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
TimEatsApples wrote:
a1bert wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can't - you can't normally move as an action - moving the Viper you're piloting is an exception.

Yes, you're right - I was forgetting that the player in the viper activates the viper during their action phase, rather than actually doing actions as the viper. Their only "free" movement is during the movement phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can land a viper during your move, or when you are granted a move (such as by an XO), but not as an action. See the UFAQ.

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Battlestar_Galactica_FAQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions CAN add a lot, but in the whole scheme of things, BSG alone is "a lot". Go with what you and your groups can handle rules-wise, and content wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.