Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I found something in a Goodwill store that has greatly intrigued me.

Rummaging in the toy section, I recognized a bit of the Scrabble board grid showing through a plastic bag, and was immediately curious because it was folded up. When I opened the bag and pulled the board out, I found that it is a very soft and smooth fabric, of nice density, almost like a faux buckskin type of thing. The playing area is full-sized and is the exact Scrabble board, very reminiscent of the plain folding boards of several decades ago. To the left of the grid is a "Letter Distribution" chart, just as on those old boards, but above that, where the regular boards have "SCRABBLE" written vertically, is a blank area instead.

There are racks and letter tiles with the board. They are all made of black plastic, with stick-on letter labels on the slightly indented fronts of the tiles; those labels are white with black letters, and the small scoring numbers are in the upper right instead of the lower right.

I've spent quite a bit of time this evening trying to find leads on the interweb that would tell me more about this set, but that search was totally fruitless. There is nothing on the cloth board, the tiles, or the racks to help in identifying the origin of the set, and those were all that I found, all stored neatly in a zip-lock freezer bag, so there is no packaging of any kind.

I'll make some photos tomorrow when I have good light, and post those in the gallery with links here, but I'm just dying to know if anyone else, especially the world travelers, might have seen a Scrabble set like this and have some information to share about it. Because there is no Scrabble branding on the board, I'm inclined to think that this is a knock-off set from someplace, but it's very well done, and very good quality, which only raises the curiosity factor.

Has anyone seen one of these sets? Can anyone contribute any helpful information about it?

PS edit: here is a view of the board:

And if anyone is curious for more details, these photos show a closeup of the board, a tile on one of the racks, and a tile compared to a standard wooden tile:

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Does anyone know anything about a Scrabble set with a soft cloth board?
I've never seen one, but it sounds cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.