BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Am I still a casual gamer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking at my list of owned games, I still think I am more interested in light games and shun from medium to heavy games. So can anyone tell me, do I own any game which is considered at least medium?

I can only think of Space Alert and Ghost Stories. And I have not even take the wrap out of Space Alert yet due to the fear of attempting to play it. However I will be trying it on this coming Saturday with some boardgaming friends.

I love Ghost Stories and have played it more than 10 times, however only until last week did I know I got a part of the setup wrong.

Should I start buying a medium or heavy game to try or should I stick to light games?

I dont own Agricola, Robinsin Crusoe and Seasons but have played and enjoyed them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
r0t1prata wrote:
Should I start buying a medium or heavy game to try or should I stick to light games?

What do you want to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
r0t1prata wrote:
I dont own Agricola, Robinsin Crusoe and Seasons but have played and enjoyed them.

If you didn't find these games too complex, I see no reason why you couldn't buy heavier games. Still, if light games are what you prefer there is no "gamer cred" in buying more complex games just for complexity's sake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find the 'weight' of a game (as voted by BGG folk) by scrolling down to the statistics section of a games page on BGG (it's towards the bottom below the forum stuff).

Ghost Stories' most common rating is a Medium - so yes you do own a medium rated game.

As to whether you should start buying heavier games, there's no intrinsic benefit to playing heavier games. If you don't get the urge for something meatier then why bother? Playing games is surely only about enjoyment, and while some people only really enjoy the mental challenge of a heavy game other people only enjoy fun lighter games.

Personally my tastes continue to change. I started light, got really excited about heavier games for a while, and now have come back to favouring those on the lighter side. I'm glad to have a range of game weights in my collection so I can go wherever my mood takes me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do i want to play? I am interested in trying out Twilight Imperium 3 but when I searched for Tom Vasel's review on it I was having doubts immediately because the video was so lengthy it got split into three parts.

I want to buy Robinson Crusoe once it is available though. I think I would enjoy playing meatier games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say TI:3 is heavy perse. Mechanistically, it's actually pretty simple. It's just epic in scope, so it takes a long time to finish.

I don't see what's wrong with liking any kind of game, be it light, medium or heavy. I for one, don't like (most) euro-games except very light ones. I do not see that as a problem. I tried Le Havre and just felt bored by it. Games like Tzolkin or Terra Mystica look so unattractive that I never want to play those!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think posting on BGG disqualifies you as a "casual gamer." Or at least it's a good sign that you're won't be for long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I think the fact that you own 23 games qualifies you to drop "casual" from your self-description. You are a gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play what you like, like what you play. Don't sweat the labels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Play what you want, not what you think you should.

The sole obligation of gamers is doing what you enjoy with games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why label yourself based on what you buy or a fixed point in time. Tomorrow you could decide never to play a game again. Just go with the path that makes the most sense and is enjoyable. If that means in two months you own roads and boats, co2, or thunder alley and Robinson Crusoe so be it. Just have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What Paul said right above me. Labels are just labels, and I think they are just there to help guide people. There's no "required" progression, like having to go from gateway -> light -> medium -> heavy. The purpose of gaming is to enjoy time. For instance, I prefer heavier games (not super heavy), and would love to play games like Dominent Species, Robinson Crusoe, etc, but also enjoy gateway games and light games. The people I have available to play games with specifically light light games, so that's all I play.

Does that make me casual or light even though I prefer heavier games? Sure, but gaming is a hobby, and about enjoyment, so as long as we are enjoying it, that's what matters and you won't enjoy a heavy game if you never play it because you lack the group or it's too long or too intimidating to open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Play what you want, not what you think you should.

I'll phrase it another way:

Do you want to play what you like ? Or do you want to play what others say they like.

Hint: I purposely phrased that in a way that allows for a pretty obvious answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmo Flynno
United States
Croydon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a Monopoly/Risk player until a friend of mine invited me to his board game club about a year ago. My induction into heavier games was immediate with Alien Frontiers, Terra Mystica(German version), and Power Grid on my first day. I never knew these games were out there until I visited this club, now I can't get enough of them. Now, I'm finding out that some of my other friends are closet gamers, and I've enjoyed a wide range of games with those friends too. If you are a gamer, light, medium, or heavy, let people know.... you just may gain more players in your next game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you're posting on BGG you're beyond casual.

You might prefer light games but that doesn't make you a casual gamer. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the advice, I think that I may have misled some of you with the thread topic. It should be something along the lines of "Should I own heavier games with the fear that I may not take it out so often?" instead.

I was concerned because of Space Alert. I bought Space Alert thinking it would be fun to play after watching some videos, but when I started reading more reviews and more of them said it was stressful like work, I didn't dare to try it.

Then I thought I may eventually want to sell it so I let it stay in shrink instead.

But now I have a meetup group which I attend almost every weekend and I have made some friends in this group who are willing to go through Space Alert with me.

I think I will stick to owning light-medium games and play medium-heavy games if people in the meetup group take them out for play.

Thanks BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Alert requires a dedicated group to slog through the missions and ask for more. It is not a great "let's pull that off the shelf today" game. And all it takes is one player stressed out by the timed action programming to veto the game forever more (happened in my group-- sadly leading to me selling the game).

If you have a casual "pick up and play" group then you might want avoid games with high time/money/replay investment requirements to fully enjoy them. Off hand they include:

Space Alert
Twilight Imperium
Android Netrunner (or any LCG)
Twilight Struggle
Any Feld game

Of maybe not-- it might be fun to experiment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have finally tried Space Alert with my boardgaming friends and I can say it has become one of my top 3 favourite games thanks to them!!

(Even though I was shooting blanks for the whole time during one basic simulator round)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imtiaz
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL we were all shooting blanks at some stage or other!

But yeah, what an awesome game! Thanks to r0t1prata for introducing it to the group. Our 16-hour marathon overnight session* turned out to be awesome.

* For those curious, we played a lot of different games, not just Space Alert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.