7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Help and How-To

Subject: Listing plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aunty wendy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So it seems like a good idea for me to mark which games I've played, so I can keep track of them (since I keep playing loads of new ones at my group).

I can see how to enter a date for 1 or more plays for a game. But there are some which I have played far too many times to count, over a long period of time (no idea of dates). How would I log those? Do I just guess at a random number for amount of plays? Can I delete the date, or change it to reflect many previous plays, and it's ongoing? Or do I just not mark the ones I've played a lot (which seems a bit silly, given that I am marking the games I've only played once or twice).

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some (like me) will enter a bunch of plays on one date with a note that this is an approximation of how many times you played Game XYZ before you began logging plays on BGG.

I've also logged one play of a bunch of games just to show I've played it in the past - though usually much more than once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wendell's approach seems reasonable.

Myself, I began logging my plays at the start of this year, and I simply ignore everything that happened before that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too just picked up from when I started logging. That gets me the information I need. Anything prior to that time -- well, I know if I've ever played it or not. And since I don't log online/electronic play, I take the numbers with a grain of salt anyway. For what they are, they're very accurate, but I don't try to include every game I've ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that memory tends to exaggerates the number of times you have played a game.

I have a friend who has only played Ghost Stories with me, and is convinced we have played it over 40 times.

I have 30 plays logged on my account, and have played it without him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aunty wendy wrote:
So it seems like a good idea for me to mark which games I've played, so I can keep track of them (since I keep playing loads of new ones at my group).

I can see how to enter a date for 1 or more plays for a game. But there are some which I have played far too many times to count, over a long period of time (no idea of dates). How would I log those? Do I just guess at a random number for amount of plays? Can I delete the date, or change it to reflect many previous plays, and it's ongoing? Or do I just not mark the ones I've played a lot (which seems a bit silly, given that I am marking the games I've only played once or twice).

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Like others who have already commented, I log games as I play them and make no attempt to estimate how much I played things before I started logging. Any guess I might make would probably be way off, anyway.

I do have a list of all the games I've played, though, at least all the ones I can remember. I use the rating system for that. I rate every game I've played and then I go to my profile for the list of games I've rated. It also shows number of plays, if it's a game I've played since I started logging. It has the added bonus that I can sort the list by rating, so games I like are all at the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aunty wendy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for all these suggestions. I think I'll log them from now as I go, and let my ratings of games I've played previously act as my reminder.

Do people often look at other users' play lists? That's where I think not recording games I've previously played lots would skew the overall impression of which games I love most.

I prefer not to rate games after only 1 play, I'm not sure I can form an accurate opinion from that short experience. There have been a few I didn't really enjoy, but I'm reluctant to write them off, in case that play wasn't representative of the game (like other players being tired or distracted, unfortunate card draws/dice rolls, or struggling to grasp complicated rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.