Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: The Bomb Squad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a tournament coming up and was trying to think of Empire builds that weren't swarm, and were a bit different from anything I've seen before while also anticipating a bunch of people using swarms (or at least 5+ ships). I was thinking of this basic build:

Boba Fett (39)
Proximity Mines (3)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Proton Torpedoes (4)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16)
Proton Bomb (5)
Shield Upgrade (4)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16)
Proton Bomb (5)
Shield Upgrade (4)

The general plan would be to take ships out early. Boba Fett would move using banks whenever possible (and sensible) to ensure he can maneuver around ships but get in close to lay the prox. mine, while the bombers low skill hopefully allows them to move first and get proton bombs out (was thinking of swapping Shield upgrades for Hull upgrades, making it a 98 point squad to hopefully get initiative). Cluster missiles would be to take out any "swarm leaders" or the main threat in a 3/4 ship squad.

I have been into X-wing for a while but haven't played as much as I've wanted, so there may be really obvious pitfalls in this build I'm not seeing. I accept that once I've used the bombs and missiles that I'm not going to be able to do much, but hopefully I'll have done enough damage by that point to just pew pew it out (hopefully with 3 ships due to the 10/7/7 HP values).

All criticism welcome...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hull Upgrade doesn't exist yet as it is part of the Imperial Aces expansion pack.

In a tournament you need the actual card for each time you use the upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah fair enough, I was using a squad builder online and was going to worry about acquiring items after I had decided on a list (Not got any wave 3 yet...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Nuñez Jimenez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is more interesting to use:

Krassis 36
cluster missile 4
seismic charges 2
proton torpedoes 4
slave-1 0

gamma 18
proton bomb 5
impact missile 4

gamma 18
proton bomb 5
impact missile 4

The bad point is that I am missing some assault missiles or Jonus...
You need higher pilot skill to target lock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
impact missile = concussion missile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your list looks interesting and gives a couple more options than mine, so thanks for that.

I'd also really appreciate the feedback of why you think your list is better than mine. I'm just looking to learn how people think when squad building, and have things pointed out to me that I've overlooked. Especially if there is a specific reasons you have picked a pilot/upgrade over another when you had options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see how many TIEs you could take out in a single turn with the seismic charge & 2x proton bomb combo. A bit of a one hit gamble but would hi hilarious if executed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Hamp
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
negroscuro wrote:
I think it is more interesting to use:

Krassis 36
cluster missile 4
seismic charges 2
proton torpedoes 4
slave-1 0

gamma 18
proton bomb 5
impact missile 4

gamma 18
proton bomb 5
impact missile 4

The bad point is that I am missing some assault missiles or Jonus...
You need higher pilot skill to target lock.

A few comments on this squad:

Krassis is a solid choice for the Cluster Missiles because he can reroll one die on each of the two attacks those missiles make. His PS5 is decent but not incredible, so you may have some targets you struggle to lock onto. Making that work AND the Proton Torpedo will be a tall order since you need a TL and want a focus too for a PT.

My main concern with both this squad and the OP is you don't have a whole lot of punch after the alpha strike, and there's not enough here to influence your odds of making that alpha strike be punishing. I am also not completely sold on Proton Bombs yet at 5 points, but I think you can most easily get your enemy to chase the Firespray so that's where I'd stick one.

Also, I hope you are a solid pilot with all these bombs because you seem to be counting on them to work. I miss with them as often as I can make them work, and that's after a lot of work to get THAT good at using them. Two points is worth the risk to me with Seismics because just doing one damage is totally worth it. At 5 points, even with the crit ability, I don't feel the same way about Proton Bombs - I am not enough of a gambler to use them.

Firesprays and Bombers are also more challenging to keep together in formation, which makes focused fire a little different to think about. I would probably fly Krassis on his own, separately from the bombers (which I would try to keep together in formation), and then depending on positioning have either Krassis or the bombers come in from the side while the other goes for a more traditional joust.

Here's a squad I might play if you told me I had to fly two bombers and a Firespray, and I had to take a Proton Bomb:

Krassis Trelix (45)
Firespray-31 (36), Cluster Missiles (4), Proton Bombs (5)

Captain Jonus (26)
TIE Bomber (22), Squad Leader (2), Seismic Charges (2)

Gamma Squadron Pilot (29)
TIE Bomber (18), Assault Missiles (5), Cluster Missiles (4), Seismic Charges (2)

That gives you PS of 4, 5, and 6 which gets you ahead of a LOT of common ships and gives you a solid chance of taking a major piece off the board in the first round of combat before it has a chance to fire (example: two cluster missiles and Jonus's lasers have the necessary punch to take out a Bounty Hunter or at least put a serious hurt on it, especially with Krassis and Jonus on the job helping to reroll dice, and your bombs would have a solid chance to finish the job on the next round if you didn't already outright kill it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Logan8 wrote:
while the bombers low skill hopefully allows them to move first and get proton bombs out

The bombers' low skill means they'll be dropping their bombs before knowing where their opponents are going to go, making it a guess as to whether that's worth it or not. Very possible you'll decide to lay the bombs, only to have the enemy just move away. Remember, the bomb doesn't detonate until the end of the entire Activation phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Nuñez Jimenez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smuggler wrote:
impact missile = concussion missile?

ah yes, my bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vagabond Elf wrote:
Remember, the bomb doesn't detonate until the end of the entire Activation phase.

Ah, I completely misinterpreted this. I thought it meant after that particular ships activation phase (as in: reveal dial, drop bomb, move ship, take action, bomb goes off).

That does change things quite a bit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
commuter zombie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IainHamp wrote:

Krassis Trelix (45)
Firespray-31 (36), Cluster Missiles (4), Proton Bombs (5)

Captain Jonus (26)

TIE Bomber (18), Assault Missiles (5), Cluster Missiles (4), Seismic Charges (2)

I think that's a much improved squad but if I was concerned about a lot of swarm lists I'd want to run as many mid-high PS assault missiles as possible. As an alternative I'd suggest:

Krassis Trelix (43)
Firespray-31 (36), Assault Missiles (5), Seismic Charges (2)

Captain Jonus (26)

TIE Bomber (18), Assault Missiles (5), Advanced Proton Torpedo (6), Seismic Charges (2)

For me this helps in a couple of ways, you've got two solid Assault missile attacks there (Jonus gives either a PS 6 TL to one of them or a focus token if they've established a TL themselves. Krassis gets to re-roll up to 3 dice, the Gamma pilot up to 2). After the alpha strike things get closer, pulling a focus on the Gamma and getting the TL later from Jonus gives you a better chance of getting a TL + Focus APT off which will ruin someone's day. As people start K-turning/maneuvering round for a second pass you have the charges to break up their formation and potentially kill anyone who's already been splashed by an Assault Missile.

If you're worried that the Gamma Squadron pilot might die early then you could drop the APT from it and go with Gunner or Autoblaster on Krassis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my limited experience with Seismic Charges, I find them to be great on high-PS ships and horrible on low-PS ships - especially when you're up against higher-PS ships that can boost and/or barrel roll. A high-PS ship can drop the charges when it knows it will hit several ships, while the low-PS ship drops it in hopes somebody is nearby and can't get out of the way.

I've only hit with Charges once, and I've been hit by them a few times (a couple times running TIE swarms that had already maneuvered, and once with B-wings that really didn't care because they were about to unload on a Firespray to take out half the opposing squad). Other times, they get avoided, or at most do 1 damage to a ship that doesn't mind too much (e.g. an Academy TIE).

*edit* Should have read Vagabond Elf's post first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Hamp
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a lower PS ship with bombs, you can try to influence your opponent into a situation where they will either be impactful or you can make them pay in some other way (via clever asteroid placement, using your lower PS to block with (even if it means staying in range 1, if you are in something that can deploy bombs, you can probably afford to take a point of damage more than a fair amount of things attacking you), etc.).

If you can put them on a ship that your opponent will forget about because they're focused on another target, even better. That's ultimately a good way to sum up using bombs well, I think - you have to use them in a way that isn't expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebel Pilot
msg tools
I have had limited success with bombs myself. With the seismic charge if you get 1 damage on a target it has payed for itself. If you drop it and it forces a high PS pilot to dodge out of the way and loose a shot on you then it paid for itself. The problem is trying to get it to do more than 1 damage, thats hard to do. Most opponents will see it coming and will scatter if they think it matters that they take the hit.

The proton bomb on the other hand is an overpriced gimmick. The best I have done with it was on a dedicated squadron of bombers that was packing just a bomb. (4x Scimitar w/ proton bomb and Night beast. While I did manage to take out a b-wing there was a higher PS a-wing that was able to get out of the blast zone. Later in the fight my last remaining bomb tagged the remaining b-wing and nearly wiped out an untouched a-wing. The crits came up in wrong order).

In order to make the proton bomb work well is you have to plan your flight path really well, make some assumptions about your opponents possible flight paths, and most of all pray that your opponent falls into the trap.

So like everyone else has said, proton bombs and proximity charges aren't worth it,and seismics are marginal at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Fooled you!
badge
Click to edit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tantive_V wrote:
I have had limited success with bombs myself. With the seismic charge if you get 1 damage on a target it has payed for itself. If you drop it and it forces a high PS pilot to dodge out of the way and loose a shot on you then it paid for itself. The problem is trying to get it to do more than 1 damage, thats hard to do. Most opponents will see it coming and will scatter if they think it matters that they take the hit.

The proton bomb on the other hand is an overpriced gimmick. The best I have done with it was on a dedicated squadron of bombers that was packing just a bomb. (4x Scimitar w/ proton bomb and Night beast. While I did manage to take out a b-wing there was a higher PS a-wing that was able to get out of the blast zone. Later in the fight my last remaining bomb tagged the remaining b-wing and nearly wiped out an untouched a-wing. The crits came up in wrong order).

In order to make the proton bomb work well is you have to plan your flight path really well, make some assumptions about your opponents possible flight paths, and most of all pray that your opponent falls into the trap.

So like everyone else has said, proton bombs and proximity charges aren't worth it,and seismics are marginal at best.

I'm thinking of trying a mine-heavy squad that also incorporates an intel agent, to eliminate a little of the guesswork. I still don't think it will work, but it's worth a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.