Popular Tags: [View All]
Simone dalla Chiesa
Italy
Cassina de' Pecchi
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SR3: LOCAL PATH. A French Infantry unit in a gully or woods hex allows an adjacent activated tank to drive through the hex occupied by the unit.

What's the meaning of "adjacent activated"?

Is this phrase maybe meaning that a tank must be activated for Drive while in a hex adjacent to the gully/woods hex it will driving through?

So Local Paths can be only 1 hex long, I am correct?

Thank you in advance,

Simone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no authority, but we interpreted it to mean a tank (Edit: incorrect, see below) could pass through three such adjacent gully or woods hexes if each contained a French infantry unit. After the tank has driven into the first hex, it is still activated and now adjacent to the second hex, etc.

However a tank could not, by the special rule, END its turn in such a hex.

Donna used this SSR to great effect outflanking my scattered German blocking forces, soon operating a tank behind my line. (Edit: and it turns out this was in error.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Professorelm wrote:
SR3: LOCAL PATH. A French Infantry unit in a gully or woods hex allows an adjacent activated tank to drive through the hex occupied by the unit.

What's the meaning of "adjacent activated"?

Is this phrase maybe meaning that a tank must be activated for Drive while in a hex adjacent to the gully/woods hex it will driving through?

So Local Paths can be only 1 hex long, I am correct?

Simone, you are correct. This came up during playtesting and the wording was chosen specifically to limit the multiple hex local path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
chicklewis wrote:
I have no authority, but we interpreted it to mean a tank could pass through three such adjacent gully or woods hexes if each contained a French infantry unit. After the tank has driven into the first hex, it is still activated and now adjacent to the second hex, etc.

Depening on how you did this, it may have been against the intent of the rules.

You state - After a tank has driven into the first hex..., but what hex did the tank drive into? If you meant that the tank drove from one Open Ground hex (through wood/gully) to another open Ground Hex, that is correct. And if that hex was adjacent to another Woods/Gully Hex with a French Infantry Unit, it could then indeed use the SSR again. But notice that each "Local Path" is only 1 Hex long.

LEGAL Local Paths

On the other hand, if you meant that that the French Infantry were chained and adjacent as follows (Picard represents the tank):

ILLEGAL Local Paths

This is illegal. Where did the tank drive after its first drive? Into a woods/gully hex (with a French Infantry Unit) which is illegal as the tank may only drive Through such hexes by SSR not INTO such hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Where did the tank drive after its first drive?

Does this mean that it is illegal because two separate Drive orders were used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
war_hero wrote:
Does this mean that it is illegal because two separate Drive orders were used?

No, I am considering this as one drive order. I am using "drive" for tank much as one might use "move" for infantry. As infantry moves hex to hex to hex to complete its move; a tank drives hex to hex to hex to complete its drive. So its "first" drive is the act of leaving one hex to drive into a new hex. Its second drive would be the act of leaving that hex to enter a subsequent new hex.

In other words, movement (or drive in the case of tanks) in CC is always hex-to-hex and path dependant as a result. In the second photo above, the tank makes its first drive through the first infantry squad to end up in a woods hex with a second infantry squad. This is an illegal drive as the tank has entered a woods (or gully) hex and is thus prohibited by the rules. (Also, in this situation, it is not adjacent to the squad it would be using to exploit the local paths - it is IN the hex with the squad further reinforcing why the chained local path maneuver illustrated is illegal.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, thanks very much. We interpreted the rule incorrectly. We drove 'through' multiple adjacent hexes. So Donna's tank should not, in that instance, have been mothering about behind the German lines.

Semantically this seems like a hard one to write clearly and concisely. The developers did fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, thank you as usual for explaining the rule and of course, my design intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.