Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if they all know you're obviously the cylon, i wondered if it was ever a good idea to stick around and do some damage with cards, rather than just revealing, to go to the cylon locations and attack the humans directly.

A cylon on galactica has more power to sabotage skillchecks than a cylon who chooses to leave, because they get 250% more cards. (and in both cases, you can only bid one) So you have more chance to be able to bid a high one.

I also figured that if you plan ahead, and save up a lot of SP's and EM's, then you can do a lot of damage even during other players turns.

SP's can increase ANY diceroll by 2. even if it is a cylon who is attacking the humans.
And EM's make you reroll any die against a viper, not just ones that hit.

i figured a cylon in the brig could perfectly legally have been stockpiling EM's, and each time a raider attacks a viper and misses, the cylon player could use an EM to allow the raider to fire again and possibly hit.

You could also stay in the brig and waste human player cards by making them bid against your escape attempt, or just scout-sabotage them, and maybe waste a few raptors in the process too.

Especially as a pilot cylon in the brig, it might be better to just never reveal your loyalty card.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't ever tried that, myself, because I very rarely get to play a Cylon, but it seems to be a reasonable strategy.

In the last play by forum game I was in, we had a Cylon Helo, and he sat in the brig and used all his turns to scout things, using his once per turn ability to reroll successes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
In the last play by forum game I was in, we had a Cylon Helo, and he sat in the brig and used all his turns to scout things, using his once per turn ability to reroll successes.

helo would be a good cylon to be a brigg-sitter as. as well having good skillsets for it, and using cards to damage the humans, he can reroll any cylon failure, or human successes on his own turn as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Boomer is built to be a brig-sitting Cylon.

* Obviously, she draws the extra Loyalty card at sleeper phase, so she's more likely to be a Cylon.
* Obviously she automatically goes to the Brig, so she has some control over this situation. Encourage quick jumps if you are a pre-sleeper Cylon Boomer!
* She doesn't draw green, so she doesn't have to worry about lying about not drawing XO.
* With Launch Scout and Recon, and not having a Crisis on her own turn, she has extremly fine control over the Crisis Deck.
* As you mentioned, she can also play Strategic Planning when Cylon ships fire.
* Piloting is great for spiking checks.
* In the base game, there's nothing you can really do to stop her from being annoying in the brig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:
helo would be a good cylon to be a brigg-sitter as. as well having good skillsets for it, and using cards to damage the humans, he can reroll any cylon failure, or human successes on his own turn as well.

Helo can only reroll when it is his turn, and while in the brig he's not getting any crisis to resolve, so there are no cylon attacks/activations.

To the original question: in the base game and a beginner group, you can do pretty good job from the brig with suitable cards, but as soon as there are cylon ships around Galactica, you better be out there using the cylon locations. Also, dealing damage to Galactica creates pretty powerful distraction that the humans have to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The timing also matters - if you think you're not going to get another turn, then you're not going to get to play your SuperCrisis nor use the Cylon locations anyway - revealing essentially costs you a turn.

Boomer has a slightly different situation - she's sent to the Brig regardless of whether she's a Cylon or not, so she may be able to talk her way out, so probably wants to avoid blowing her cover - at least in the short term...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dungeon Drop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm - using SPs and EMs on Cylon turn rolls... we had never considered that even once, and I feel like that somewhat goes against the intention of the cards and rules. Cylons cannot use skill cards, but human players can, so of course it stands to reason that by the letter of the law this is allowed, but if you think about the intent behind the rule I think it more so stands to reason that cylon ships should NOT be able to "evasively maneuver" and their die rolls benefiting from "strategic planning".

Just my two cents on the topic...

That said, with the newest expansion, there are many new skill card options for brigged cylons to play with, and the mutiny cards add yet another layer of possibility as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with Daybreak, we had Mutiny cards and I was a brigged Cylon Leader who was pro-Human (so had to do anti-Human things to complete my objectives). The meatbags humans didn't want to release me, so I just sat and started cycling and playing Mutiny cards as my Actions to cause chaos.

TL;DR: Daybreak adds Mutiny cards which are a great sabotage-y thing to do in the brig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonmiceli wrote:
cylon ships should NOT be able to "evasively maneuver"

You can't use Evasive Maneuvers with Cylon ships. That card text specifically says "Viper".

Edit: oh.. maybe I misunderstood. Yes you can use EM on a shot at a Viper, even if it would miss, as a sort of Cylon-helping play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:

* Obviously, she draws the extra Loyalty card at sleeper phase, so she's more likely to be a Cylon.
* Obviously she automatically goes to the Brig, so she has some control over this situation. Encourage quick jumps if you are a pre-sleeper Cylon Boomer!
* She doesn't draw green, so she doesn't have to worry about lying about not drawing XO.
* With Launch Scout and Recon, and not having a Crisis on her own turn, she has extremly fine control over the Crisis Deck.
* In the base game, there's nothing you can really do to stop her from being annoying in the brig.

hahaha! oh wow, i am definitely picking boomer the very next chance i get. this is gonna be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:

hahaha! oh wow, i am definitely picking boomer the very next chance i get. this is gonna be fun.

...and then you'll get 3 "Not A Cylon" Loyalties and be sad that nobody believes you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonmiceli wrote:
Hmm - using SPs and EMs on Cylon turn rolls... we had never considered that even once, and I feel like that somewhat goes against the intention of the cards and rules.

I checked the rules on this one very carefully just to make sure it was legit.
Quote:
"Play after any viper is attacked to reroll the die."

it doesnt say 'play after any viper is HIT' it only says when it's attacked.

which means you can definitely use it to re-roll misses if you like.

and SP cards do specifically say: "play before ANY dice roll"

it's definitely allowed. i read the rules thoroughly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:

and one more:
Her once per game can still be used to devastating effect from the brig. If she would reveal, she'd loose her once per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Starfox4 wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:

...and then you'll get 3 "Not A Cylon" Loyalties and be sad that nobody believes you.

that actually happened when i was gaius baltar. nobody believed me, and i was brigged really early on. i even worked out who the cylon actually was before everybody else and they still didnt believe me until it was too late.
ughh! godamn meatbags!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just using a brigged unrevealed but obvious cylon Tom Zarek in a PBF.
Humans are at 8 distances, but there's only one outisde of the brig, they do only 1 crisis a turn, I keep scouting it and leave it down if it has no jump icon, as the player after me is the human (and he cannot scout the destination). In case that I draw no scout in one of the next turn, I'll play CP and draw red cards.
And by staying in the brig, I keep using my very nasty power: their brig checks are all at 9, and humans are wasting lots of cards trying to get out.
So, yes, it can be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Trigiani
United States
Blairstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:
Quote:

I used strategic planning as cylon but I never thought about using evasive maneuvers like that! Nice! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are a human player until you become a revealed cylon. You can give out XO's, scout, play evasive, declare emergency, etc.

In my first-ever game as a cylon I spent the latter half of the game in the brig (I guess I was Boomer) using Scouting to get rid of raptors. But I spent too much time there, I just was not experienced enough just forget about the reveal power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
You are a human player until you become a revealed cylon. You can give out XO's, scout, play evasive, declare emergency, etc.

but giving out XO's is a very good cooperative/teamplay strategy, that no cylon would ever do.

If somebody liberally uses XO's, i usually assume that they're almost certainly a human.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:
If somebody liberally uses XO's, i usually assume that they're almost certainly a human.

And do you see any reason why an unconfirmed cylon could do that too?

Well, I was trying to speak more generally, humans can do a lot too while in the brig without wasting cards and actions for trying to get out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trigiani wrote:
I used strategic planning as cylon but I never thought about using evasive maneuvers like that! Nice! devil

some of the cards like XO's or SP's specifically state once per turn, or once per role, but EM's don't have that.

so the people that i played with presumed your allowed to chain link EM's and play as many as you like, provided you havent run out yet.
Led to a particularly amusing unlucky streak where one raider was attacking one viper:
Hit!!
..EM
hit again!!
..EM again!
hit again!
ughh! ... EM AGAIN!
miss. ..damn.

with brigged cylons EMing as well, it could lead to quite a hilarious 'EM war', where both sides keep playing EM's until one of them wastes off all of the other persons cards.

Hit!!
..EM
miss.
..oh actually, i'm gonna play an EM on this as well
and now...hit!

OMGWTF!?? you backstabbing toaster! i dont have any left!
hah, suck it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dungeon Drop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:
jasonmiceli wrote:
Hmm - using SPs and EMs on Cylon turn rolls... we had never considered that even once, and I feel like that somewhat goes against the intention of the cards and rules.

I checked the rules on this one very carefully just to make sure it was legit.
Quote:

Indeed - I was not questioning the letter of the law, as I believe you are correct, but I do question the intent of the law. I do not believe this is what the designers had in mind. I think it's the idea of a SP played buy a human on a Cylon player's turn that really has me squirming on this one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With Ems,a cylon player can cause at most 2 extra die rolls (activations) per round. If they reveal and activate the cylon fleet, they'll often be causing 4+ activations per round. Similarly,although being in the brig gives a cylon player 3 extra card per round... if they activate caprica, theresulting crisis will usually co st humans more than theee cards...for a better card advantage. Every once in a while it makes sense to hang out inthe brig as an outed cylon, but the vast majority of tge time you'll bbc e much more effective revealed...even as Boomer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonmiceli wrote:
I think it's the idea of a SP played buy a human on a Cylon player's turn that really has me squirming on this one...

ooh, i didnt think of that. like SPing a basestar when it attacks galactica. hah, devious!! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:
jasonmiceli wrote:
I think it's the idea of a SP played buy a human on a Cylon player's turn that really has me squirming on this one...

ooh, i didnt think of that. like SPing a basestar when it attacks galactica. hah, devious!! devil

I've seen my fair share of "soft reveals" with that tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
With Ems,a cylon player can cause at most 2 extra die rolls (activations) per round. If they reveal and activate the cylon fleet, they'll often be causing 4+ activations per round. Similarly,although being in the brig gives a cylon player 3 extra card per round... if they activate caprica, theresulting crisis will usually co st humans more than theee cards...for a better card advantage. Every once in a while it makes sense to hang out inthe brig as an outed cylon, but the vast majority of tge time you'll bbc e much more effective revealed...even as Boomer.

i agree. maybe stay in the brig for a big battle during that particular jump cycle. use EM's and SP's as much as you can to help the cylons, and do as much damage as you can.
Then when the humans eventually escape, bruised and broken, you go to caprica and hit them with a supercrisis while they're at their weakest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.