Least they could of done is released the NX class too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith McCallig
Ireland
flag msg tools
I don't know if pointless is fair - it is a nice cheap ship that could do well as a support vessel. Pop someone like Tyrell or Donata on it and the rest of your fleet is getting +1 Agility or +1 Attack at a fairly cheap price. Its also one of the most maneuverable ships in the game so if you can survive the initial clash you can drop in behind big plodder and zap him with Plasma Missiles for the rest of the game.

There are also some really nice cards for the Romulans in general in the blister. Valdore, a Captain who gives +1 attack dice if you manage to attack from outside the enemies front arc. And the two really nice cards are polarised hull plating offering protection from critical hits to cloaking vessels and Cloaked mines which are a nice area denial device to keep the enemy away from parts of the board.

Personally I prefer this ship to the Science Vessel as you can at least give it some torpedoes and get a decent attack out it.

My only real problem with the Blister Pack is that despite it being about the lightest expansion when it comes to number of cards etc, they didn't give a new counter for the Cloaked mines - according to the preview you need to use the one from the main game. This is a most unwelcome move away from getting everything you need to play a ship in its blister. It also opens up the possibilty of confusion as to which minefield is which type if several players are using different mine types and all the counters are the same. Since the ship has no shields and they therefore didn't need to include any Shield Tokens I don't see why a different mine template with a different graphic couldn't have been included in the pack.

I'll probably buy at least one anyway - if I can get a second cheap somehow I will just to get a second cloaked mines and polarised hull plaiting card. It does grate to have to spend 15 euro for two cards, especially when they didn't bother to actually include the token.

Just my 2 cents,
Keith Mc

(It might be worth having this blister just so you can have Captain Valdore commanding I.R.W. Valdore - a Valdore class ship )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Praetus looks like great swarm material, especially if every ship in the swarm was throwing down cloaked mines!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
somebody with enough skill knock up a cloaked mine counter please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just cut out a piece of cardboard using the anti-matter mine token as a template and paint it to resemble your playmat/board.

After all you can't see the mines they're cloaked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a new invention called a photocopier. Photocopy the token and then glue that onto some cardboard. Done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it rounds out the old fleet ships, now each of the main factions have one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other threads on this topic:

new preview up--Star Trek: Attack Wing I.R.W. Praetus/Romulan Scout Ship

So does anyone else think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Barnette
United States
Round Lake Beach
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Silvershadow206 wrote:
Does anyone else think the new romulan ship Released in october is POINTLESS
Least they could of done is released the NX class too

The ship itself isn't pointless, merely fragile. It's the new foundation of a Romulan swarm fleet - just add Donatra. The Praetus itself would work very well with Capn. Valdore and plasma torps; take advantage of cloak to maneuver out of their fire arc, and alpha strike for 6 attack dice.

Some of the cards that come with the Praetus are Romulan money in the bank. Besides Valdore himself, Polarized Hull Plating is an answer to my prayers. With my shields constantly disabled by cloak, critical hits are a constant, so the PHP is the insurance that any Rom fleet needs. Cloaked mines are going to be an excellent ingredient for controlling your opponents' movement (along with the muon - and both have the added benefit of being able to destroy weakened ships). Nuclear missles are a cheaper option for the Valdore example above, and are generally just a nice option to have. [/2cents]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith McCallig
Ireland
flag msg tools
Stormtrooper721 wrote:
There's a new invention called a photocopier. Photocopy the token and then glue that onto some cardboard. Done.

Really? I always wondered what that thing was for besides pranks at the Christams Party...

Anyway, my point was just that for 15 euro they could have included the token - all the ships so far include all the tokens you need to play them. In fact its the same for the X-Wing version of the game where if a ship has weapons or cards that need special tokens they are automatically included.

This ship seems particulary light with only 1 special captain and 3 (? I think...) equipment or weapons cards and its a ship with no shields so I'm not sure what they put on the two cardbpard sheets that used up all the room.

Also, I think a smaller round token would have worked better for the cloaked mines as the irregular shape of the Antimatter mines is kinda strange when anything within range 1 of it is being hit.

Peronally I'm going to try to put something together that has the mine token in the middle and then the 'range 1' area around it so that I can just throw down the template and it will be easy to tell if anything passes over it and is attacked.

Thanks,
Keith Mc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Whaley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1R to trigger is a pretty big surface area for the device.
Way better than Reliant's A/M mines.

That's a 2R diameter plus the width of the mine token.
Those are some serious mines.

I like your idea of putting the token inside a template to make visualization easier.
I can see a template with a cutout in the middle to fit onto the token once you've dropped the token out.

I kinda agree it was a less than perfect decision not to include some sort of mine token.
Makes it seem like an accountant made the decision, not a game designer. That's a shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a DS9 fan myself, I'm fond of TNG, as well as being someone who grew up watching TOS in syndication in the 1970s. That being said, I'm not a big Voyager or Enterprise fan.

So, it's pointless for me, for the most part, as I don't really care enough to put together an Ent fleet. I'll do that for TOS, especially now that we see the TOS Romulan ship showing up.

But, being a DS9 fan, and seeing how polarizing that show and Voyager can be. I'm personally happy with them releasing all the Ent ships for those fans who want them. My only qualm, and this gets back to what I'm a fan of, is having to wait until Feb for the TOS Romulan, and waiting on the Klingon BoP until Dec. All while getting the Ent Romulan ship this month. But, I'm assuming it has more to do with trying to sale what might be less popular ships earlier, than trying to move an entire Ent wave a year from now.

Actually, I'm more upset with WK continuing this trend of lumping all Klingon BoPs into the B'rel class, instead of following Star Trek's own database, and creating two distinct classes of BoPs. A smaller scout B'rel for the TOS films, with Lord Kruge and General Chang (special ability, doesn't need to re cloak after firing sounds about right) and possibly the Duras sisters (since Chang is already in the Kronos One pack). Throw in the biker Captain from ST6, and we have our skill 1 captain. And, a larger K'vort cruiser class for the TNG era. Then, we could have two Klingon BoPs, and two Romulan ones as well (even if I keep calling them Warbirds when they're Romulan).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Dogg Rulzz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I just don't understand why they couldn't give us a K'vort and B'rel class. I'm hoping someone on Shapeways offered a smaller version of these so they can at least be in relative scale to each other. I to am awaiting the TOS Romulan Bird of Prey even though the picture of it makes it look more Federation in appearance. The problem is its going to look weird compared to the ENT era Praetus class which has obvious linkage to the TNG Valdore class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.