Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Restrictions of ships during OP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnny Vannueten
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there restrictions in regard to which ships you may use for a certain OP?

I'm asking this because our first OP will be run on the second weekend of october and it could be possible that Wave 1 is available at that time.

It might also be perfectly possible that someone already had won a Ferengi ship at another OP, may he use it in his build?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any restrictions are up to the tournament organizer.
Most are going unrestricted until more models are out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What the previous poster said. Our month one saw everyone running pure Faction builds, except our second place was running Khan with her Klingons. Month two we're allowing two Factions in a build, but each ship must be pure. Then, on the other end of the spectrum, I've heard of some OP events allowing Star Wars ships in their builds. Bottom line, it's up to the organizer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for the Star Wars thing, I prefer no limits. The point penalty exists for a reason: to encourage faction-pure ships but not need to ban mixing. Plus there's plenty of times in Star Trek where two factions, even ones who hate each other, team up to fight something else. The Federation, Klingons, and Romulans have their alliances fluctuate quite a bit in the DS9 era. My Enterprise-D and a Valdore working together isn't that big a stretch.

How does the Star Wars thing work, though? The games are similar, yes, but the point values seem completely different, if I compare say a X-Wing and a Galaxy Class. Also, captains and pilots work differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coastcityo wrote:
Then, on the other end of the spectrum, I've heard of some OP events allowing Star Wars ships in their builds. Bottom line, it's up to the organizer.

Wait, really? What TO in their right mind would allow that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coastcityo wrote:
Then, on the other end of the spectrum, I've heard of some OP events allowing Star Wars ships in their builds. Bottom line, it's up to the organizer.

That has to be a joke. These are two different incompatible games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Whaley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the TO does indeed set the rules for what WizKids left out, I believe I would strenuously object to ANY other game system being allowed to be included.

If you want Star Wars figure in a game so much, go play that instead.
Or play weird mashups at home.

An OP event is not the time to be mashing different gaming systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chance Gardener wrote:
While the TO does indeed set the rules for what WizKids left out, I believe I would strenuously object to ANY other game system being allowed to be included.

I bet WizKids would too...

I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to trying a cross-universe game, even as unbalanced as the ships might be, just because, come on, Trek vs. Wars is just about the earliest and most iconic geek throwdown ever.

But in a competitive, sanctioned event? yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:
How does the Star Wars thing work, though? The games are similar, yes, but the point values seem completely different, if I compare say a X-Wing and a Galaxy Class. Also, captains and pilots work differently.

From playing a number of Star Trek vs Star Wars games, I can tell you that they are similar enough to work fine. And captains and pilots don't work differently at all- you just have more options of Captains than you do pilots. Otherwise they are identical.

The ONLY rule that is completely different between the two games is that when the bases of two ships are touching in X-Wing they can't attack each other, but with Attack Wing they can. So a TO would just need a solid ruling on that.

Plus... the Star Trek ships tend to be slightly stronger, so if someone wanted to try and bring their Star Wars ships to an event and win...well good luck to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.