5 Posts

The Hobbit» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on winning an adventure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christophe Montoya
msg tools
Hi

Forgive me if this has been answered but I did have a look. We have played this a few times now and each time we have easily got to the end and run out of gems and won nearly every adventure.
I am worried we are doing it wrong. Checking the forum here I see we are doing it correct but what seemed to easy was how we won the adventures.

My boys got to full limit on the cards quite quickly (not me for some reason) so apart from the last section (4) all the adventures were easy to complete.

Do you loose your axes etc from your card if you have to use them to enhance your dice or do they stay the same level? Does the dice have precedent and then the card?

Also our Smaug has only ever got as far as the 2nd space along which seems way too easy.

Also can you use special cards from say 2 in 3 or 4?

We did enjoy the game but found it way to easy.

Thanks for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My boys got to full limit on the cards quite quickly

How did they do that? This part doesn't seem correct.

Quote:
Do you loose your axes etc from your card if you have to use them to enhance your dice or do they stay the same level?

From your card? Cards that you collect during Bilbo's travels are for one use only.
Quote:
Does the dice have precedent and then the card?

Which card? Yes, the dice have precedent.
Quote:
Also our Smaug has only ever got as far as the 2nd space along which seems way too easy.

And not right.
Quote:

You decide where you use them - but after one use they are discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note also that you can adjust the difficulty level by choosing the starting level of the three tracks on your character board. I chose '0' (most difficult) for my first game, '1' for my second game, '2' (easiest) for my third game (finally got to the end of the game). Learnt a lesson in humility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Montoya
msg tools
[q="lacxox"]
Quote:
My boys got to full limit on the cards quite quickly

Quote:

Well if we are doing the game correctly then they just seem lucky to build up the cunning, strength etc up to full limit by the time we get to the end.

Quote:
Do you loose your axes etc from your card if you have to use them to enhance your dice or do they stay the same level?

Quote:
[q]From your card? Cards that you collect during Bilbo's travels are for one use only.

Sorry wrong wording, I mean the tracker board each player has with the cubes on it. So lets say that I need 6 axes but the dice gave me 4 but I have 2 on my tracker board, to complete the quest/mission/adventure do I have to lower my axes on my tracker card by 2?

Quote:
Does the dice have precedent and then the card?

Quote:
Which card? Yes, the dice have precedent.

OK so we need to get the dice sorted first and finalised and then see if the cubes on the tracker board can complete it for me?

Quote:

Quote:
And not right.

Well we only failed one adventure and then we ran out of gems so we ended the game then?

Quote:

Quote:
You decide where you use them - but after one use they are discarded.

Ok good at least doing something right but can you confirm the other points as I really want to make sure am playing this correct.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
montoc1701 wrote:
[q="lacxox"][q]My boys got to full limit on the cards quite quickly

Quote:

Well if we are doing the game correctly then they just seem lucky to build up the cunning, strength etc up to full limit by the time we get to the end.

Okay, "by the time we get to the end" and "quite quickly" is far from being the same. It is possible but not very likely as you need a quite close to perfectly even distribution of symbols during Bilbo's turn for this. In the four parts of the game on average each player gets one or two points at each symbol (of any given type, 5 to 6 symbols are distributed among the players in one quarter of the game). Then you need to be rather lucky to roll the necessary symbols for all the quests...

Quote:
I mean the tracker board each player has with the cubes on it. So lets say that I need 6 axes but the dice gave me 4 but I have 2 on my tracker board, to complete the quest/mission/adventure do I have to lower my axes on my tracker card by 2?

No, you don't lower them.

Quote:
OK so we need to get the dice sorted first and finalised and then see if the cubes on the tracker board can complete it for me?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.