Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Burkhardsmeier
United States
Fergus Falls,
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played our first game.
When it comes to war games I love almost all of them.

Components in a game are important to how a game plays and feels.
When I opened the box of 1775 rebellion I was impressed with this big honkin' map. The Cards were good quality and the artwork was stellar. I'm not a big fan of cubes, but given the gameplay and the use of color this didn't bother me at all. I love the colors and the component quality was really good. As far as play goes, It took a bit to get used to the dice rolls. It is different from Risk which I an used to. It seems a lot of armies roll the flee dice, yet they flee and regroup and come back into the game which really gave me the feel I was in the war. Troops where overwhelmed,fled, and then came to their senses and regrouped. Once we got the hang of it we really enjoyed it.
If there is a problem, it think it is with the truce cards. I received them right away in the game which never allowed me to cycle through my hand as quickly as my opponent. I kept saving them until my other hand in a two player games had the truce card. It seems like a clumsy mechanic. Perhaps one should just play the card as an movement instead, but I found that annoying.

The theme comes out big time, but it is not a super heavy game and is easy to learn. I really liked the 4 player random start cubes for each turn, this made it very interesting when planning you next turn.

I like the fact that you could play this game in 1 to 1 1/2 hours. It wasn't crazy intense but still gave me a feeling of excitement.

Big thumbs up from this war gamer. If you like theme and war/ strategy, I think you will like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If there is a problem, it think it is with the truce cards. I received them right away in the game which never allowed me to cycle through my hand as quickly as my opponent. I kept saving them until my other hand in a two player games had the truce card. It seems like a clumsy mechanic. Perhaps one should just play the card as an movement instead, but I found that annoying.

Just to make sure you know, the Truce card IS played "as a movement." It's not optional (although you can choose to move nothing if you wanted to, but I've never seen anyone do that). Since you MUST play some move card in a turn, it's possible that you will be forced to play the Truce before you want to-- and that is just part of the game that actually works very well.

I also dread getting it early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schomp
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has there been any talk of intentionally seeding the Truce card in the lower half of your deck?

For example in Tobago you take the top third of the deck and shuffle it, then shuffle in the 2 curse cards into the bottom two thirds of the deck, and finally place the top on the bottom. This ensures the curses don't come out until later in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the Truce isn't effective until after the third turn, it is possible that the game could end at the end of that turn. You could make a house rule that you don't check game-end conditions until the end of the 4th turn(?), I suppose. Or you could shuffle the cards so that you lay aside the truce card; then draw off three cards and lay them aside; finally insert the Truce card into the remaining 8 cards and shuffle them; finally add the three cards back on top of this deck. That way you are guaranteed it will not appear in the first three turns.

I am sure the designers play-tested the game and game ending conditions to death before finalizing the rules. So they have good reason to make the game end as they describe. Perhaps they see some problem with the alternate set-up I described above. I only offer this as a completely novice suggestion, unfounded on history either history or play-testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeph Stahl
Canada
Grimsby
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.thebrickbrewery.com
badge
www.thebrickbrewery.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In the early game, if you are forced to play a truce card, that means that the other two cards are special cards. This should lead to a pretty powerful turn. A player should try to make this offset the forced truce.

Being forced to play both truce cards of a side, is dangerous, but it leads to two powerful turns and the short term advantage of knowing when the game will end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Burkhardsmeier
United States
Fergus Falls,
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You always have 3 cards in your hand. So it is possible that one player could be forced to play it as a movement if they only 2 other events cards. However this is not that likely. It would very unlikely that both players on the same side would be forced thus resulting in the end of the game. I think my point is when you only get one new card each turn because you save the truce card for later can be frustrating when your opponent is getting two cards and playing events each turn. I like the thought of a variant house rules to shuffle the truce cards to a later point in the game. Have you ever done that? I think we may try it. I really like this game and is fun to play with two people. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.