Subject: Easily overlooked rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few plays I made a list. Please confirm and/or make any addition to it.

1. You also get income before the first round, so you start the game with 10 pounds
2. Some technology cards (e.g. commerce) can be used only once per turn.
3. You can use commerce during event card activation. (but you don't take token from it)
4. Passing your token to the activation phase is not an action, so you can active a worker or a card immediately.
5. Residence and working class homes both have a one time effect. You can't activate them, you got the benefits when you played them.
6. When you overbuild a residence or a worker-class neighborhood you don't lose the income track position/worker(s), however you don't get points for the building at the end of the game.
7. When taking the Residence action you can move up, or take VP for current spot.
8. Blue chits (1 - 3) go to a discard pile(not the pool) and may be reshuffled later.
9. The "reuse an inclined building" action on the event or w/ Taylorism happens all at once (we played the "straightening" was 1 action, then using it was another)
10. Engineering's end game scoring: VPs on Industry buildings are scored a second time(max 7 VP). It is not VP in Cost, or # of Industry buildings according to this post http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/13147129#13147129
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:

1. You also get income before the first round, so you start the game with 10 pounds

Yes. £8 at the setup, then £2 at the beginning of the first round.
fisha wrote:

2. Some technology cards (e.g. commerce) can be used only once per turn.

Yes : Lobbying, Taylorism and Commerce.
They have a (x1) symbol.
fisha wrote:

3. You can use commerce during event card activation.

No. Commerce can be use only on the market ( the 3x3 cards).
fisha wrote:

4. Passing your token to the activation phase is not an action, so you can active a worker or a card immediately.

Yes.
fisha wrote:

5. When you overbuild a residence or a worker-class neighborhood you don't lose the income track position/worker(s), however you don't get points for the building at the end of the game.

Yes, exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Llewsor wrote:
fisha wrote:

[q="fisha"]

On BGA you can use commerce on event cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:
Llewsor wrote:
fisha wrote:

[q="fisha"]

On BGA you can use commerce on event cards.

Although I've never used BGA, that is the correct interpretation:

"Once per turn, when they activate a market card or use an event with a token, the player chooses the value of that token (1, 2, or 3) for themselves."
(See page 12 of the rules)

Of course, the player only keeps the tokens from the market cards, not the event card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To sum up all that's been said –
fisha wrote:
Yes, in that you can choose the value of the token on the event, but you do not gain that token so it is not worth 1VP at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One I missed was that some of the buildings are only activated once when you buy them, and then can't be activated again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think residences and working class homes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:
Do you think residences and working class homes?

The very same.

The main body of the rules tells you to incline a card with an effect. These cards have effects, and as the effects seem very obvious, we hadn't checked the summary for them and assumed that you could use these each turn. It made for a game where everybody had all of their workers, and all but one player was at the top of the residence track by the end. This just didn't feel like a smart design, and considering who designed the game, I felt we must have done something wrong. Another read through of the rules later, and I was still none the wiser until I read the buildings summary at the back which states these are only activated once when you buy them.

It would have helped me if the main part of the rules under building activations had simply said that not all buildings could be activated each turn. Assumed knowledge is a dangerous thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:
6. When you overbuild a residence or a worker-class neighborhood you don't lose the income track position/worker(s), however you don't get points for the building at the end of the game.

Played last night for the first time. Fun little game w/ more meat on it than I originally thought. #6 was one that was taught incorrectly.

Here are a few more that we did wrong, or were not clear from the rules (engineering) to add to the list:

1. When taking the Residence action you can move up, or take VP for current spot.

2. Blue chits (1 - 3) go to a discard pile(not the pool) and may be reshuffled later.

3. The "reuse an inclined bldg" action on the event or w/ Taylorism happens all at once (we played the "straightening" was 1 action, then using it was another)

Engineering's end game scoring we played right, but almost didn't.

4. Engineering's end game scoring: VPs on Industry bldgs are scored a second time(max 7 VP). It is not VP in Cost, or # of Industry bldgs according to this post http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/13147129#13147129
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, added. We already have 10 hints now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Johnson
United States
Carrboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I use something like Taylorism to untap a building that needed workers to activate do I remove those workers and put them back on my main card? Or do they stay and I need to place more workers on the card to activate?

Removing workers helps a player with a smaller pool of workers.

Keeping them on there and making players place more workers on it, favors a larger worker pool.

I have checked the rules but didn't really see anything dealing with this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its just about reusing a building, you lose your workers for that turn.

Kicbak wrote:
When I use something like Taylorism to untap a building that needed workers to activate do I remove those workers and put them back on my main card? Or do they stay and I need to place more workers on the card to activate?

Removing workers helps a player with a smaller pool of workers.

Keeping them on there and making players place more workers on it, favors a larger worker pool.

I have checked the rules but didn't really see anything dealing with this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Riley
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kicbak wrote:

Technically the workers are paid as a cost, from your Active pool to your inactive pool. A lot of us place the workers on the buildings to remind us where we used them, but the workers don't actually go there by the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.