Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the board games I enjoy playing involve building up some sort of resource engine...early on, you struggle to carve out a niche, then you start building up your engine. keep making it more and more fruitful and efficient, until eventually you start scaling back to production so you can start raking in VPs for end-game scoring. If your engine gets off to a slow start or you have to switch strategies mid-game, it often means that you're one or more steps behind everyone else and you won't have the production capabilities that they have and will be left behind in end-game scoring.

After playing so many similar games, I can't help but see life the same way; first you pick a strategy by choosing a career and (normatively) studying it in post-secondary schooling. Once you graduate, you get an entry-level job, but as the game goes on, your production capabilities keep getting better and better as you are promoted and get pay raises. Eventually, you switch from production to VP generation when you retire and start spending your hard earned cash and free time to do what you enjoy most.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get into the field that I studied in University, partly because a bad event card came up (hiring slump circa 2009-present), so I am back in college now studying accounting. I'm working an unpaid internship now whereas many of my friends have careers. So far my production engine has completely stalled, and I can't help but feel like I've missed out on five years' worth of income and engine-building. I'm still waiting to just start up my resource production while others have been at it for years. I don't need to "win" at life, but I don't want to be the schmoe in last place where other players are doubling my score.

But I guess I'm still relatively young, and my previous degree will hopefully help me to advance a bit quicker up the ranks. And besides, life isn't an optimization game, it's an adventure (game)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmb
See what happens to your outlook when you stop playing video games?

tatoolo wrote:
I don't want to be the schmoe in last place where other players are doubling my score.

You won't because I already have that position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
The key difference is that in life VPs can be got at any point. Also they help you get more VPs, so the more VPs you get the more you can get in the future.

If you wait until your retirement to get them you are waiting way too long. Who wants to be a rich pensioner if all you can do is get a better quality of nurse to change your adult diaper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
The key difference is that in life VPs can be got at any point. Also they help you get more VPs, so the more VPs you get the more you can get in the future.

If you wait until your retirement to get them you are waiting way too long. Who wants to be a rich pensioner if all you can do is get a better quality of nurse to change your adult diaper?

Yeah, to be fair I've been going for somewhat of a "get VPs throughout the game" strategy. Being unemployed gives an awful lot of time to spend on your hobbies! But as anyone who has been unemployed for months at a time can attest, it runs its course before long...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Life is unbalanced and it has a runaway leader problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
sisteray wrote:

...and no one can agree on which edition of the rules we should be playing with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
After 15 years of work, I decided to completely change careers. I am climbing the ranks much faster than younger players do. I am probably not going to catch up, but it will be close. So I laugh derisively at "5 years behind".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you could always switch strategies from pure VP generation. Go for that 'longest road' card or 'largest army' or one of the other achievements that scores on its own...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Jon_1066 wrote:
sisteray wrote:

...and no one can agree on which edition of the rules we should be playing with.

Plus, too much chaos and often too fiddly. Box way too big but then only one tiny compartment is appropriate for the pieces. Great art, though! Very realistic meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
Jon_1066 wrote:
sisteray wrote:

Plus, too much chaos and often too fiddly. Box way too big but then only one tiny compartment is appropriate for the pieces. Great art, though! Very realistic meeples.

The pieces are fragile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
I graduated in 1991, when the US was just getting over the recession caused by the Gulf War. It took me a year to find a real job (I was working as a temp in a warehouse) and I was pretty low paid for the first half of my career. I was not able to find a job related to my field of study. However:

-I found a career I really enjoy (Statistical analyst).
-I'm a manager now and doing fine.
-Money isn't the only form of VPs in life. I work for a non-profit, despite being able to earn more elsewhere, because it is more satisfying and I feel that I am contributing more to society. I also have a family with a wife and two kids.
-Comparing yourself to others and thinking you have to beat them is a good way to make yourself unhappy. Bill Gates will always have more money than you, no matter how successful you are.
-Life is rarely a smooth arc like a well played game. You screw up, health intervenes, outside events happen, things don't happen as planned. And that's ok, it prevents things from getting boring.
-Staying in school a few extra years isn't a bad thing. I wish I had gone for a more advanced degree.
-Go see or rent Monsters University.
-I like that you have Euler's Identity as your badge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
sisteray wrote:

You don't even get to read the rules only others interpretations of them.
Also you dont get to inspect stacks, know how many points they have... heck you dont even get to know the victory conditions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Ah, but this game also has different tracks for different VPs, production is only one. Whoever taught you to focus on the production track didn't teach you all the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbucak wrote:
I graduated in 1991, when the US was just getting over the recession caused by the Gulf War. It took me a year to find a real job (I was working as a temp in a warehouse) and I was pretty low paid for the first half of my career. I was not able to find a job related to my field of study. However:

-I found a career I really somewhat enjoy (Business analyst).
-I'm a manager now and doing fine.
-Money isn't the only form of VPs in life. ... I also have a family with a wife and two kids.
-Staying in school a few extra years isn't a bad thing. I wish I had gone for a more advanced degree.

Wow, that sounds awfully familiar. It basically mirrors my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's because you're playing too many bland Euros, Kevin.

That would make anyone depressed after a while. (Except for Lords of Waterdeep - that game rocks!) laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
shumyum wrote:
Jon_1066 wrote:
sisteray wrote:

The pieces are fragile.

Too much player interaction. And there's player elimination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately there isn't a fixed number of rounds (although there are a few upper bounds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
MaximumPain wrote:
heck you dont even get to know the victory conditions!

They are anything you want them to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
sisteray wrote:
shumyum wrote:
Jon_1066 wrote:
sisteray wrote:

The pieces are fragile.

Too much player interaction. And there's player elimination.

Agreed, way too much player interaction.

However, every player gets eliminated eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.