Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've solitaired my way twice through the campaign game (45 turn scenario).

In the first game the Germans were entirely eliminated by turn 32.

In the second game, using delay tactics they were eliminated by turn 34.

I'm having a hard time imagining they could even last until turn 45 under any circumstances.

I'm trying to figure out a strategy that will work. In both the first games my concern was to try and hold on to towns in German East Africa.

I'm now thinking it might be better to go guerrilla warfare early and take a big force south into Portuguese territory, pretty much giving up on German territory. However the main problem is the Entente is quite agile with its unlimited naval transport and once the German replacement source of Tabora falls, German units begin to dwindle rapidly.

Anyone else played the long game with better results?

cheers,

JD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Haven't played yet, but this is one of the games I'm bringing with me on a 6 month trip I'm going on later this month (a lot of alone time should hopefully give me the ability to play all those games waiting in the queue).

I've been watching your excellent AARs on CSW - I hesitate to say, if after your thorough plays, you can't seem to figure out a winning strategy for the Germans this does not bode well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of my problem is playing solitaire. I'm really not able to out-fox myself. The game plays reasonably well solitaire but any strategy I conceive the enemy (myself) will already have insight into, so it's entertaining. I'd really like to to do a FtF game with someone other than myself to see how they approach things one way or the other.

The Germans cannot afford a war of attrition. They should only make stands to inflict casualties on the Entente defensively as to try and fight offensively before turn 28 is quite costly as the Germans are poor on the attack until their MGs can be used offensively.

The Germans can run faster through the brush without supply. This is a big key, but on the other hand, you have to try and hold your key towns (Dar-es-Salaam for supply, and Tabora for replacements) and you have to use other Geographic areas to tie down the British. This is relatively easy to do until the South Africans arrive in force.

But once the British get a lot of troops there is trouble. You can't bunch up as the Germans in a few big stacks as you will get surrounded and then killed by a grander accumulation of Entente forces. If you spread out, you are both too weak to attack and too weak to hold any spot. The best I've been able to do is keep the enemy off balance for a while until I run out of troops to sacrifice in delaying actions.

Once you get short on troops, things really begin to collapse fast. That is my conundrum for the moment. There has to be a better strategy than what I've tried.

Unfortunately - I've moved on to other games for a while. So I won't be able to try anything new for a while.

cheers,

JD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
One key to German longevity is a fighting withdrawal in the face of the South Africans and Belgians (circa mid 1916). Keep in mind, that both the Belgians and South Africans eventually must withdraw. So, the German player should avoid fighting them as much as possible, instead giving ground until they depart. Along the way, look for good opportunities to take a stand under the right circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.