David McMillan
United States
Madison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Carcassonne fanMicrobadge: Imperial Settlers fanMicrobadge: Uwe Rosenberg fanMicrobadge: I love Stefan Feld!Microbadge: Golden Reviewer
When I was in my early 20s, I worked at a zoo. Now, before you start thinking "That sounds like a really cool job working with animals and such", let me derail your thoughts. I didn’t work with any animals. I worked a ticket booth for an attraction at the zoo and directly across from me was the little area where the penguins lived. Day in and day out I’d sit there staring at those penguins, bored out of my wits. Occasionally someone would walk up to them and then, inevitably, they’d start making animal sounds at them. What was even more baffling was that the sounds they were making weren’t even sounds appropriate for a penguin. The sounds they were making were seal noises. For some unexplainable reason, this annoyed me like you couldn’t believe.

Bear with me folks, this story is going somewhere and it’s well worth the wait to get there.

A public place like the zoo really isn’t very conducive to a nice, peaceful, quiet lunchtime, so you seek out your peace where you can. For me, there was no better way to spend my lunch break then chowing down and watching the mona monkeys. They were so adorable and so entertaining that I felt drawn to them. One fine day, while eating my lunch, I heard a commotion kicking up behind me. I turned around to see a guy climbing up onto the wooden railing across from the gorilla enclosure. Once he had found his balance, he started pounding on his chest and making loud, obnoxious, gorilla sounds. The crowd of people gathering around him were really getting into it and he just kept hamming it up even more. Reminded of the penguin people and reminded that my peaceful lunch was being rudely interrupted by this guy, I started to get irritated. Then something amazing happened.

One of the gorillas casually reached behind it, grabbed a handful of gorilla droppings, and flung it at the guy hitting him fully in the face. Needless to say, it brought the man’s performance to an abrupt closure. I thought about how awesome that was. I thought about how funny it was that someone captured that entire incident on video tape. I thought about how I’d better get back to eating my lunch because my time was running out. What I didn’t think about was how awesome monkeys flinging poo at each other would be for a card game. Fortunately for me and you, the reader, someone out there witnessing a situation much like the one described above, did. And Poo was born.

The game of Poo is fairly easy to get into. There’s a box with a deck of cards in it. There are several different types of cards. There are Poo cards, special Poo cards, event cards, cards for defense, and clean up cards. Players use these cards in an attempt to cover their neighbors with Poo while remaining fairly Poo free themselves. Each player can only withstand 15 Poo before they are out of the game. The first player to become eliminated from the game may take possession of one of two Golden Banana cards. The Golden Banana card allows you to re-enter the game at a disadvantage. You will begin with 8 Poo already on you.

Each player may only play one card during his or her turn. Defensive cards allow you to block Poo or sometimes even redirect a Poo missile to a different target. Clean up cards allow you to get rid of some of the Poo that you might have on you. Poo cards typically come in a "Throw (x number) of Poo at an opponent" format. Special Poo cards sometimes allow you to ignore the one card per turn rule. They might even allow you to fling Poo at multiple opponents.

And this is how the game of Poo is played.

Poo is a ridiculously fun little game. The cards are made out of high quality card stock and are illustrated with hilarious monkey images. The game is super simple to teach and learn and it plays fairly quickly. Even though player elimination is a big part of this game, and I am not a fan of player elimination in general, the addition of the two Golden Banana cards allows eliminated players a chance to leap right back into the fray so getting eliminated doesn’t hurt very much. My only gripe with this game is the subject matter. While the subject matter doesn’t bother me personally. I could see where some people could find it offensive. The game could just as easily been called "Pie" and involved clowns flinging cream pies at one another, but for whatever reason, the game designer went with Poo. This game is what it is and it embraces the subject matter and runs with it (see what I did there?). If the idea of monkeys throwing their fecal matter around doesn’t amuse you, then you’ll want to steer clear of this game. However, if it doesn’t, then you should definitely give this lighthearted game a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls