Archipelago» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using evolution cards - as an action, or in addition to an action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some cards, like sawmill, have only sense when you use them in addition to performing another action, like harvest. What about the cards, which make sense on their own? For example, the pirate requires spending an action disk. Does it mean I spend one to make an action from the wheel, and then another to take the action from the card?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You use the cards in addition to an action on the wheel. If the card costs an action disk, you would spend two disks that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoferret wrote:
Does it mean I spend one to make an action from the wheel, and then another to take the action from the card?

Yes. Look at Page 5 and the breakdown of the "Game Turn".

The Actions Phase is made up of :-
- Play one action (ie - as you say, one from the wheel)
- Use a character or progress card (This is where you would use your pirate)
- Use a market or a port

These 3 things are done in the order of your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good, this is how I thought it worked too.

So, with such cards action disks can be spent at an uneven rate between players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beware the word "spend" when referring to Action Disks....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:

An important point, sometimes overlooked. So, one could, for instance, use an Evolution Card, use a market and then take one's action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
tim_p wrote:
GSo, with such cards action disks can be spent at an uneven rate between players.

Yes, but it's quite unusual. A Wonder has to be built, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eoin Corrigan wrote:
tim_p wrote:
GSo, with such cards action disks can be spent at an uneven rate between players.

Yes, but it's quite unusual. A Wonder has to be built, I think.

Sorry to bump and old thread. Just to clarify, yes, wonder has to be built. Doing so means you've used up the 'use a character or progress card' quota for your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
schizoferret wrote:
Does it mean I spend one to make an action from the wheel, and then another to take the action from the card?

- Use a market or a port

Can you just play a market/port/card, without spending an action disk, in order (e.g.) to keep it for a later turn in the same round, but potentially after you've seen the moves of other players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
Can you just play a market/port/card, without spending an action disk, in order (e.g.) to keep it for a later turn in the same round, but potentially after you've seen the moves of other players?

No - you must play an Action Disk if you have one. You can use a port/market and/or play an Evo card without playing a disk, if you have no disks left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Maas
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
Seghillian wrote:
schizoferret wrote:

- Use a market or a port

I just bought the game and also had an isseu with this. So just an example of how i think it works after reading this comment. In my turn i can pay 1f to use a market to buy. Then pay 1f to use a port. Then use an action disc to do lets say a building action.

And same goes for an evo card. First use the ability from an evo card and then also use an action disc to perform an action.

I thought that it was. Use an evo card....next players turn. Use a port....next players turn. That didn't feel right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Maas
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmz reading the rules again. And i'm confused again.

Now i'm thinking that everytime it's your turn you can use an evo card grmbl.

Please somebody release me from this pain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's put most clearly on the player screen...

Every turn:

- You MUST use an action disc on an action, if you have one available.
- You MAY use a single Port OR a Market
- You MAY use a single evolution card

You may continue to use Ports, Markets and Evolution cards after you have run out of action discs however...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
Kelanen wrote:
It's put most clearly on the player screen...

Every turn:

- You MUST use an action disc on an action, if you have one available.
- You MAY use a single Port OR a Market
- You MAY use a single evolution card

You may continue to use Ports, Markets and Evolution cards after you have run out of action discs however...

to finish the last sentence: As long as at least one other player still has action discs to use and thus actions rounds are still in progress. Once no one has any more action discs, the action phase ends.

But does it immediately end or does the last action round continue through the player order to the last player before ending?

Page 8 of the rulebook:
Rounds: Starting with the first player, and continuing in order of play, each player plays one round by playing one of his action discs (AD) on the action wheel and performing the corresponding action. Players continue playing rounds until all players have used up their action discs or cannot play anything; then they proceed to phase 6.

It continues until everyone is done doing something. I would say that it doesn't end even if all players have used all their action discs. You could still do something if you had more evolution cards than you have action discs, since you're limited to using one evolution card per round.

Remember in this game the word "round" means "a player's turn" Makes it confusing sometimes when reading the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:

to finish the last sentence: As long as at least one other player still has action discs to use and thus actions rounds are still in progress. Once no one has any more action discs, the action phase ends.

No, you can keep going with port/market and evolution card actions for several rounds after everyone has used all of their action disks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gaudé
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pay attention to the rules :
to build a Wonder you must not place 1 AD on the wheel on Building action.
It's instead of using an Evolution Card : you pay the ressources and place AD and 1 meeple on the Wonder card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I want to build a wonder, on my round I can:

Harvest Wood using one AD
Build my Wonder using another AD

Play then passes to next player's round, leaving me 'short' one AD

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The Evolution cards which use Action Discs are the only ways in which players can be "short" discs, compared to the other players in the same turn sequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gf likes the Amphitheater card, she's bought it twice in two games. She also likes the Architecture card. Are we right in thinking:

Amphitheater - basically just gets her a free 2 fl plus drops the insurrection track by 1, once every Turn, during any of her Rounds, at no cost?

Architecture - enables an extra 'free' (no AD) Construction Action, once per Turn?

And she can't do both in one Round (ie when it's her go to use an AD)?

Finally, is there a strict order of AD use/evo card use wothin a Round? So we have to do one before the other? Could she use the amphitheater to get 2fl then use the 2fl to Construct something, using an AD?

Eco

Edit: ignore last question, I just saw the Player's Screen. The order is ip to the Player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard-Nose
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
Amphitheater - basically just gets her a free 2 fl plus drops the insurrection track by 1, once every Turn, during any of her Rounds, at no cost?

Architecture - enables an extra 'free' (no AD) Construction Action, once per Turn?

And she can't do both in one Round (ie when it's her go to use an AD)?

Yes, that's correct. If by "turn" you mean one whole action phase, and by "round" you mean one single action of a player during the action phase, that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
My gf likes the Amphitheater card, she's bought it twice in two games. She also likes the Architecture card. Are we right in thinking:

Yeah, those two are some of the best Evolution cards in the base game (besides any of the ones which give a VP, of course!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.