Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am happy to announce that today we opened pre-orders for expansion. You can learn more here (video with presentation of expansion + link to pre-orders)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M.
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pre-ordering before owning the game One day it'll be in stock again! I have faith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should the English speakers wait for a Z-Man version? Is this only the Polish version? In particular, for Voyage of the Beagle.

...and (thread jack): Is there ever going to be some updated rulings/rules for the often cited unclear issues with timing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
will there be promo beast cards compatible with the z-man version, or are they only for portal customers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
@Michael
I clearly said in the video that you should consider pre-ordering now our edition or wait for ZMAN.

@Michael
Do you really think we are trying to sell you Polish edition of game that is 100% language dependent? devil

@Michael
According to updated rules, you need to ask ZMAN. They own base game now and I am not in charge to do anything with the game for the next couple of years

@Chadwick
It is written on the pre-order page (first page) - they are not compatible, you will need to use sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
trzewik wrote:
According to updated rules, you need to ask ZMAN. They own base game now and I am not in charge to do anything with the game for the next couple of years

I hope they look after it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've got a great group of playtesters who have really worked hard to develop and edit the rules for the English speaking audience. You will see a dramatic difference in the expansion, when compared to the base game, in word usage, grammar, and rule clarity.
You will be able to tell that this is a labor of love for a lot of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophie Gravel
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
@Michael, let me have a look into this and Jeff will answer your questions tomorrow !

Thanks,

Sophie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Ignacy - Well, I wasn't sure. I've never seen the Portal version and don't know which languages it ships with. I know some games ship with documentation in multiple languages. I didn't watch the video because I'm at work, so I read the page and got excited.

@Ignacy - As far as rules, I don't know if there are rules updates that exist or rules updates that need to be made. The Portal version differs from the Z-Man version which differs from the upcoming German version.

@Bob - Do these rules pertain just to the expansion or do they include clarifications for the base game as well? You know precisely what I mean since you started the Google document that covers a lot of these unanswered questions.

@Sophie - Thanks. It would be nice to know if Z-Man plans to produce this expansion and when. Z-Man has yet to produce the 2nd Prophecy expansion that's been on the list since 2010. They also never sold the Yggdrasil expansion separately; they included it with the reprint of the base game. Not intended to be a dig at Z-Man, just a clarification that printing a base game does not imply that an expansion will be printed. It would be nice to know because if Z-Man is not a short-term option, I'd probably get the Portal version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
So is the version that is up for pre-order compatible with the z-man version? Is z-man going to pick it up and if so what would be different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for VotB do not really clarify any rules with the base game. The rulebook is already pretty thick for the new expansion and we had to trim it down to meet our print quota. If people want a comprehensive rule clarification guide we should continue with the FAQ 2 document. I am kinda burnt out on Robinson right now. It has taken up all my free time for the past 6 months but if you want to share that link and continue to fill it out I am sure all the questions can be answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played quite a bit of Robinson Crusoe, but unfortunately it's been with different people. I'm quite sick of the first scenario since I play it first when playing with new players! I've only played the second scenario once and haven't touched the rest. Yet.

I think a comprehensive rules guide or addendum would be welcome and is likely needed. I thought your document was going to Ignacy and hopefully receive "official" feedback. I think clarifying which abilities interrupt actions and revising the resolution of the Action phase would clear up most of the confusion. Anyway, that's a different topic.

I'm looking forward to the expansion. Yes, it would be nice to know if Z-Man intends to carry it and when. If not, it'd be nice to know if you could mix the Portal expansion with the Z-Man base game (I can't imagine why not).

I'll also point out that people will be very interested in making (pre)ordering decisions early. The Z-Man release of Robinson Crusoe in the US was wrought with high demand, short supply, price hiking, and other questionable practices by retailers. Still is, since additional copies won't be available until late November. In light of that, I'd much rather pre-order ASAP and not repeat that experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
So is the version that is up for pre-order compatible with the z-man version? Is z-man going to pick it up and if so what would be different?

I believe the compatibility issue is not one of gameplay, but of components. Specifically, the cards are produced by a different manufacturer than the Z-Man version, so they're probably easy to tell apart.

Easy solution: sleeves.

I don't believe there are any other compatibility issues (but I could very well be wrong).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG!!!

My heart is pounding so fast. I just finished watching the video presentation. It's amazing!

Scenario 1
Campaign-mode!
Who doesn't like campaign mode? Fast-forwarding to end of the video, and you will see this expansion as a continuous chain of events leading to a grand adventure!

Great simplified mechanics presentation
I'm thrown off seeing how you put various actions on the scenario sheet. E.g. Hunt, Gather, Explore. It's great! This simple (but not easy) presentation suddenly extends scenarios in amazing new ways!

Scenario 2
Repair the ship
Am I right seeing there are 6 levels you can repair each part? And you receive different bonuses for each levels? It is cool and exciting! Who thought of this scenario?

Scenario 3
You're sailing.. wait what?
My jaw hit the ground. "Cute wooden ship".

Scenario 4
Is there a d6 die included in the expansion?
I see that movement chart. Is there a d6 die included in the expansion?

Scenario 5
Conclusion to a grand epic adventure!
I can already see a "Leader Board" of high scorers. And I won't be surprised if Marion is at the top. The replayability of this looks insane. I imagine it will take me hundreds of games going through the campaign to get the highest bonus from the previous scenarios to help win scenario 5. With 1 or 2 players, you can finish the entire Voyage of the Beagle campaign in one afternoon.

My heart is still pounding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this looks great and takes all the great aspects of the game and expands them in new and interesting ways. I've since had time to watch the video and am very impressed.

I think it's great when developers take a game and support it that much more. I mean, here in the US, you've paid around 50 to 70 dollars for the game. You get a nice box, well-made components, great artwork and above all, a game you want to play. Now there's an expansion that breathes new life into your game and gives you more mileage for your investment.

I wish this had occurred with Tales of the Arabian Nights. That game is the only other Z-Man product I own whose components reach the same level of quality.*

Really looking forward to this and don't want to miss the pre-order!

* - Not to imply that Z-Man produces poor games. I own a lot of their games and most are of above-average quality. RC and TotAN are representative of their best work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wu
United States
Walnut
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Z-Man Edition of the game. I know different manufactures would mean different card quality. I'm wondering what kind of sleeves would I need to get to make it compatible.

Would the clear fantasy flight sleeves work?

or

Would I need different color backs?? if so how many different colors would I need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrage wrote:
I have the Z-Man Edition of the game. I know different manufactures would mean different card quality. I'm wondering what kind of sleeves would I need to get to make it compatible.

Would the clear fantasy flight sleeves work?

or

Would I need different color backs?? if so how many different colors would I need?

If its just card thickness, clear sleeves should be fine. I used mayday sleeves and they fit great (and a better deal than FFG ones).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there are six ship parts and each one can be built to a minumum or maximum repair state. Repairing to min gives less 'health' to that area in next scenario. Making a max repair gives more health of ship location in next scenario and an immediate salvage bonus that is different for each ship location.

I just reviewes the components list. I don't own a copy of the z-man version, so I don't know what is different in base game. Card backs are different, I've heard, I don't know about card size difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
If its just card thickness, clear sleeves should be fine. I used mayday sleeves and they fit great (and a better deal than FFG ones).

Some of the card types have completely different art on their backs between the two editions.

Would be good to know from someone who knows (Ignacy?) as to whether any of these card types are included within the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Gagné
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings to all of you,
I'm the Jeff Sophie was talking about.

What I can say and be 100% sure at this time is:
If you own the Portal Edition of the base game, then yes, do get the Portal Edition of the expansions as this should ensure there aren't any differences between your cards.

If you own the Z-Man Edition, then we recommend waiting for the Z-Man Edition of the expansion (which should become available in early 2014).

As for the different card backs, I believe only the infamous Mystery cards have a different back (there was a change after the initial print).

At this time, that is all I can say on the subject (being the only information I currently have on the subject).

If any of you ever have questions or the likes about any of our games, feel free to PM them to me.

Cheers,
J.-F. out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I confirm ZMan will do US edition early 2014.

I confirm backs have the same artwork, but there is issue of card thickness, as we described in our offer. You will have to use sleeves if you want to play with comfort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Z-Man it is then. Hopefully you or someone from Z-Man will let us know when that pre-order is available. Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
I confirm ZMan will do US edition early 2014.

I confirm backs have the same artwork, but there is issue of card thickness, as we described in our offer. You will have to use sleeves if you want to play with comfort.

Ignacy, would you say that clear sleeves will do the trick, or would one be able to tell the difference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
going out on a limb here...but for my brain hole, I don't think that knowing a promo beast was in the deck would really alter very much....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was also mentioned that 20 new event cards are added to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.