Luke Myers
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Although I have not played this game or pulled the trigger to fund Fantasy Frontier on KickStarter, I've been following this game the last couple days and am excited about the strategies that could arise by combining a peaceful euro style with aggressive attacks- both leading to victory!

Can someone who has play FF shed some light on if trading/negotiating could be added to the game-play or if that would take away from other mechanics and strategy. I'm afraid that the luck of which terrain tiles or cards you draw may cause an unpleasant experience for some people who cannot utilize what they draw, while others would love to have that resource.

For Example: Could you have one of your worker placement areas be to offer a deal with another player that is on an adjacent tile from your ship? You may have 60 seconds to negotiate a successful trade. Maybe the Juggernaut offers the Vanguard two blocks of wood for one gold and a turkey leg. This concept could be taken further to include trading cards or terrain tiles. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks! Hopefully this discussion will help sway me to buy go ahead and fund the project and get the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played the game, but I could see trading being added in. For most games that have trading, you don't need to use workers to do so. It's just another action you can do on your turn. I wouldn't put a time limit. But I do agree that your ship should be in an adjacent tile to the ship of the person you want to trade with. I would probably limit it to resource trading. I mean, you could trade map cards, but then it's no secret anymore and I'm not sure it'd be very enticing anyway. I also don't think trading tiles would be good either, mostly because of integral it is to increasing the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also reduce it to resource trading for the same reasons Sarah stated. And I agree that the air ship should at least be adjacent to the ship of the person you are trading with. These ships are the main idea of the game and the area of influence is limited to the tiles surrounding it.

Have a look at my idea of an expansion - including a trading post - which was heavily influenced by Sarah's good ideas, and let us know what you think: Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Myers
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
For most games that have trading, you don't need to use workers to do so. It's just another action you can do on your turn. I wouldn't put a time limit.

Silva, I can agree with that methodology. I was thinking about that last night- and probably no one would waste a worker just for the opportunity/attempt to trade when they have other better opportunities like researching a new tile or actually collecting resources from the land. It would make sense to be part of the available actions for the turn.

I guess it comes down to house rules if you feel like trading will be beneficial to gameplay. Since I haven't played it- I can't be certain if this game needs it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even in games with trading, whether the action is used is highly dependent upon the group playing the game. Sometimes, people are so competitive that no one can agree on a trade, while other games, people are more "helpful" and can agree on mutually beneficial trades.

Honestly, I say try the game first for a few playthroughs and see whether you think it's needed. Most of the time, this kind of concept will come up in early design and play-testing and will either be worked in or cut as appropriate. I've helped playtest games that do need it while others don't. So I would give Gamelyn Games the benefit of the doubt that they experimented with trading in playtesting and found it not necessary or significant enough to include it.

But that's not to say you can't make it a house rule if you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.