Hide
10 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Dominion fleet op event 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris tate
msg tools
I'm trying to do a pure build on my first op event. I would like to get some thoughts. My list so far.

Gor portas 26
Thot for 4
Breen aid 2
Energy dissipation 4 (due to captain)

Breen regular 24
Gul Danar 2
Breen aid 2
Energy 5

Kraxon 26
Sar 1
Antiproton scan 4

I would send two breen ships forward and keep kraxon in behind both. I figured I would use scan a lot. But I feel I'm relying on the energy weapon too much. But any thoughts if this fleet would hold up or not? I haven't got to play this game very much. So haven't got to test much yet.

This is my first post on this site by the way, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To really be a terror, the Gor Portas needs photons for an ED hit followed by a photon strike. But either way, the ED is tricky to get ready due to the TL needed. Using two ships like this can lead to a big win, or a bigger loss.

I ran something similar latterly, and traded off some items to trade in the 2nd Breen ship. Either a 2nd Cardassian or a Romulan. That way, you have a couple good consistent ships, with the 'Hail Mary' in reserve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might be a bit tough to do a pure and effective Dominion build with just what we have right now. That said, though, what you have isn't a bad start.

First, I agree -- you are relying a bit too much on the EDT. Don't get me wrong, it's a great weapon, but it may have some trouble dealing with cloaked ships. You should try and get a torpedoes somewhere in there so that when you do pull it off, you can follow up with a powerful blast.

The Kraxon is awesome. I used it pretty effectively in my month 1 OP event and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite ships. It will probably be even more useful once the Jem Ha'dar attack ships come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris tate
msg tools
I might be confused, I didn't see where you need a target lock for the energy gun I guess. If that's the case yeah my build will suck against cloak. I was trying to avoid target lock items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yohoob wrote:
I might be confused, I didn't see where you need a target lock for the energy gun I guess. If that's the case yeah my build will suck against cloak. I was trying to avoid target lock items.

You don't need a target lock for the ED. You do for torpedoes though, which you kinda need with the Breen ships since their primary weapons are an anemic 3 attack dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the ED, no TL is needed. However, for the follow-up, the normal main 3 attack die is insufficient. That's where the photons come in. The Gor Portas does not require the loss of TL to fire Photons.

With an effective set-up, once you get a TL and possibly a Scan on the enemy, he can be hosed. Use the ED (and a re-roll with the Aide), and if you hit, use (but do not lose) the TL to fire Photons. If the initial roll is good, you'll have a TL for next turn. Even if the initial roll is poor, you can still use the TL (discarding now) to achieve a re-roll. Then, if you got that scan, use the aide to further the roll to change a blank to a hit.

If successful and with a couple good rolls, you can Alpha Strike a decent ship in 1 turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris tate
msg tools
Ok, I see where you're coming from. I figured if I hit with the ed. I have to be range one, so I will be getting 4 attack die at least if the ed hits. I was trying to make this group be somewhat effective against cloak. The two games i played I couldn't do anything because of cloaking. Thanks for the discussion. I think my first op event might take place after the next wave. So i might be able to use the new stuff anyway. So many choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, with an ED attack you'll have 4 mains to roll. But as I found out last game, getting that scenario to work is difficult, as people avoid letting you set it up like the plague.

With that, assume that the ED scenario does not work, those range 1-3 photons provide the ship an extra Oompf factor needed at all ranges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris tate
msg tools
Im hoping to play some casual play this weekend and try some different builds. I haven't field tested much stuff yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris tate
msg tools
I got to try this build against a pure romulan fleet. Some issues were my lack of flying. I didn't realize how close range one really is. So I didn't really get to shoot the emp weapons. When I did, that cloak was crazy effective. Even with my heavy, my foe was dodging four and five attack rolls. Maybe he just had magic die but cloak was a lot more effective than I expected. Lack of a strong dominion captain also hurt. I was getting two follys before I even got my first attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.