Pokemon Battle Chess» Forums » General

Subject: Different versions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
El Flamenco
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids have recently taken an extreme liking to the Pokemon CCG, but my wallet isn't liking it that much

I thought that I would check out if there are any Pokemon boardgames available and stumbled across this game. Looks very interesting, but looks like it isn't available in North America. Looking around online, I see that there are multiple versions (?)

One has an orange board, another a blue board, and another a red board. Also found one called "Pokemon Battle Chess W" that looks like it might include both the blue and red versions and also has a picture of a die on the box cover.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the versions? Is there a one that is better than the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Allsup
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
I realize this is a really old thread, but I just discovered this game myself. Anyway, the only difference between the versions seems to be that different pokemon are featured on the various pieces, while the values of the pieces remains the same (that is--working from memory, so the details might be off--while the piece with an attack value of 60 in the original version has a Patrat picture, the corresponding piece from another version has Meowth). So the rules, gameplay, and statistics on each of the pieces are identical, just with different pokemon featured on the art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy in Osaka last week, red-and-white box with an orange board.

I think this version is the original, funnily enough. The Pokémon are mostly first-gen with a couple of second-gen legendaries as the big guns, and some of them seem to make more thematic sense.

For example, the piece trapped in an egg is a Togepi, and the piece that gets stronger when damaged is a Magikarp that evolves to a Gyarados.

EDIT: According to Bulbapedia, the BW version is the original and the early-gen one came later. Odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns out the movement and strength numbers are different between versions, although the setup is very similar. Only noticed when I was confused about diagonal movement/attacks for the legendaries, because the English rulebook for the BW version doesn't have any legendaries which move diagonally.

I don't think any of the pieces are actually identical to their reskins. Everything seems to have been tweaked slightly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Flamenco
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing that this will never be released in North America. Too bad, because I think that this would sell pretty well. I know that my kids would love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting a copy through Amazon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.