Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
Stanford-in-the-Vale, Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So, our little games club was one year old yesterday. We've had a bit of a tough time in parts, there aren't very many of us and the pub we meet in was burnt down, but we are still going.

To celebrate, we had a little party on Monday and have put together a couple of GeekLists:

- The first GeekList is basically a copy of our session reports that we publish after every meeting on our website, http://boardgoats.org/.

- The second GeekList is more for our benefit and is a list of the games we've played over the last year.

If you would like to follow our adventures over the next year, we are also on FaceBook and Twitter.

Thanks for reading,

NannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a link to the Geeklists?

Also; congratulations on making it through the first year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulation on 1 year. You've done well to get a group going in that location.

Liking the name and the pub looks great.
Would be cool to get over for a session when they re-open but I think it's a little far from Reading, unfortunately.

Good luck for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done keeping goating despite the unusual problem. The first year is the hardest, we usually had 3 to 6 players in the first year, now 15 is low and we have had 23. Hope you can find a public venue soon though as strangers will be less inclined to go to a meeting in someone's house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulinTheLion wrote:
Hope you can find a public venue soon though as strangers will be less inclined to go to a meeting in someone's house.
Is that generally true? Or is it an introvert/extrovert thing? (I mean, it kinda feels right to me as an introvert...). I wonder what the intro/extro ratio is amongst gamers vs. the general population. Englestein! Where are you when we need you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:
Do you have a link to the Geeklists?

Ah yes - sorry, stupid of me!

First List (prosey style; copies of the meeting reports)

Second List (list of games)

sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:

Also; congratulations on making it through the first year.

Thanks!

NannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geremiah wrote:
Congratulation on 1 year. You've done well to get a group going in that location.

Liking the name and the pub looks great.
Would be cool to get over for a session when they re-open but I think it's a little far from Reading, unfortunately.

Good luck for the future.

Thanks for your positive comments; you would be very welcome if you are in the area. Should that be before the pub re-opens, drop us a line through our website and we'll let you know where we are meeting.

NannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulinTheLion wrote:
Well done keeping goating despite the unusual problem. The first year is the hardest, we usually had 3 to 6 players in the first year, now 15 is low and we have had 23. Hope you can find a public venue soon though as strangers will be less inclined to go to a meeting in someone's house.

Thanks Paul. I've been following your venue issues and hope you can sort it out soon.

NannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
PaulinTheLion wrote:
Hope you can find a public venue soon though as strangers will be less inclined to go to a meeting in someone's house.
Is that generally true? Or is it an introvert/extrovert thing? (I mean, it kinda feels right to me as an introvert...). I wonder what the intro/extro ratio is amongst gamers vs. the general population. Englestein! Where are you when we need you?

For what it's worth, most people who have come are known personally to other GOATS, so I suspect in our case it has not been the biggest problem. I suspect the biggest challenge is dispelling the rumour that people who play games are men with poor hygene and an obsession with elves (definitely not true in our case as we have as many if not more females, and I for one have no interest in elves!). Also, we are a bit "out in the sticks" and there are strong gaming communities in Oxford, Reading and Swindon, all of which are just a bit far away for us to borrow people.

We're still going though, and when the pub gets back on its feet, we'll have another recruitment drive. Just two or three more people (or even one!) would make a huge difference to our long term viability.

NannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardGOATS wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
PaulinTheLion wrote:

For what it's worth, most people who have come are known personally to other GOATS, so I suspect in our case it has not been the biggest problem.

So there's no problem recruiting new players you don't know as most players are already known by other members. A group based on a group of friends will usually fold eventually as members move away, lose interest or gain commitments. If you're lucky you can get a lot of years ofgaming from this type of group, but you'll always have the problems of wastage and games selection.

It does seem a tough place to organise a games group though, between the low population density and mysterious pub fires, makes our travails in Liverpool seem quite trivial ("but The Cross Keys will only have 6 handpumps" says a voice that sounds a lot like me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I wouldn't say that exactly. Stanford is a small village and it is almost inevitable that if you don't know someone, you know people that they know. The original three core villagers at the start were all local and did not know each other outside gaming, indeed, one of them turned up on the first night and was not known to the other two at all.

At the moment we have four/five core members two/three of which travel from outside the village, so we are very reliant on them. We would like a few "more local" people, but since we can realistically only seat six or so round my table, we won't be actively recruiting until the pub re-opens. Having said that, if someone is interested in coming along, we would be very welcoming and we can all budge up a bit (or get out the camping table!).

We have considered going elsewhere, however, we don't want to commit to another pub and the village hall has a charge. The Jockey have been very good to us giving us a room with no fee and we would like to support them when they get going again. The lack of a fee is quite important to us, not because of the money, more because it means we don't need to keep accounts and a float etc.

This is why we felt it was very important to post the GeekLists and this thread, just to keep our name out there in case there was someone who would be interested in coming along to a small friendly club with ambitions to get slightly bigger in time.

Thanks to everyone for your support.

NannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon miles
United Kingdom
liverpool
merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulinTheLion wrote:

("but The Cross Keys will only have 6 handpumps" says a voice that sounds a lot like me).
This is an absolutely unacceptable situation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quite, how on earth will you survive?

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.