Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Does such a thing exist?

I don't think that the two ideas easily marry up, but I've been mulling the concept over for a few days now, and I think it'd be cool. I'm not thinking of anything too deep on the thematic front (enter room, encounter X, get rewarded with Y if you succeed. Rinse, lather, repeat).

So maybe the resources could be something like your experience / knowledge, and your equipment. Defeating X requires knowledge of combat (Y Chits / Cubes of "knowledge") and a sword (Z Chits / Cubes of "equipment"). The reward would be experience (Y Chits / Cubes of "knowledge" back) and, maybe loot (Z Chits / Cubes of "equipment" back).

It's only the bare-bones of an idea at the moment but, I was wondering if anything like it was already easily available (because then I wouldn't have to make my own)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that most is not all of the better dungeon crawls involve managing resources- equipment, time, abilities, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:
I would say that most is not all of the better dungeon crawls involve managing resources- equipment, time, abilities, etc...

Precisely what I was going to post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that comes to my mind is Friedman Friese's - Formidable Foes.

The game itself isn't so much a dungeon crawl as it is a resource management game with a dungeon crawl theme...if that makes sense. The rulebook is a bit of a mess, but once you figure out everything that the designer intended it's a pretty fun, mean little game.

Each player has a small stash of 'power' chips that allow them to kill monsters (ranging from level 1 to 50). You have to roll a monster and a hero die and subtract the difference. Whatever the result is how many power chips you have to pay. There is a general power chip pool that gets filled as people explore the dungeon. The only way to get more power is to not move and rest. Running out of power chips is really painful. So you need to manage them to constantly level up and kill creatures. On top of that you get magic spells that help you move and attack.

There are quite a few more little rules, but that's the gists. The person with the most gold at the end is the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Geosphere wrote:
timlillig wrote:

Precisely what I was going to post.

I dunno. I think that Dungeonquest is a fine example of dungeon crawling but, it's pretty much pure luck. Draw the wrong tile / wrong card and it's curtains for you.

Dungeon! is also luck based by and large. Warhammer Quest comes down to the random events drawn and, the luck of the Power Die. Heroquest only has resource management in the sense that you manage your spells if you have any, and if you have the gold you buy the best equipment and you're done.

The Dungeon and Dragon Adventure System games also offer little in the way of resource management.

Granted, this is far from an exhaustive list but as dungeon crawls go, these are all pretty good examples, and devoid of any serious resource management.

What I'm looking for however is a resource management game, with a dungeon crawl theme (rather than a dungeon crawl with resource management elements).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
BonesJackson wrote:
The game itself isn't so much a dungeon crawl as it is a resource management game with a dungeon crawl theme...if that makes sense.

It certainly does. That's exactly the sort of thing I was gunning for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:

If "resources" includes equipment, health, gold, etc., then just about every dungeon crawl incorporates it.

And if you're looking for a simple, kick-down-the-door-and-kill-the-monster type game, you need look no further than Dungeon Fighter. Monsters are defeated through dexterity challenges, more than straight dice rolling. But you have to manage items, equipment, gold, special dice, extra dice, and life points.

Managing those resources (and a good amount of dexterity acumen) is key to success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartomancer wrote:
BonesJackson wrote:
The game itself isn't so much a dungeon crawl as it is a resource management game with a dungeon crawl theme...if that makes sense.

Just be warned that there is no equipment or items to get. Everything is abstracted with the power chips. So if you're controlling a warrior the power chips could be your rage...if your character looks like a mage assume that the chips are available spells to cast.

This play session by HiveGod is really what sold me on the game:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/154325/the-ass-hat-chafes-or...

Like I said, once you get past the muddy rules it's actually a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
BonesJackson wrote:
Just be warned that there is no equipment or items to get. Everything is abstracted with the power chips.

In fairness, that is exactly what I was hoping for, and was trying to illustrate with my example.

In my mind, it makes a game far easier to pick up when you boil the whole idea down to it's simplest components. The only thing I would say is that I wasn't really shooting for a board (I was thinking maybe decks of cards) but, that's easily resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartomancer wrote:
BonesJackson wrote:

Ewww... gulp Sounds ghastly. shake (Well, to me at least!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Cartomancer wrote:
BonesJackson wrote:

How about Dungeon Lords, which is a resource management and worker placement game where you build the dungeon that heroes come in and trash?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Cartomancer wrote:
BonesJackson wrote:

How about Dungeon Lords, which is a resource management and worker placement game where you build the dungeon that heroes come in and trash?

That is pretty much the kind of game that I have in mind. Unfortunately, as it's currently being published by Z-Man, I'm giving it a pass. That's just me being me though, as it's a good fit for what I'm after. .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Roll is like that although in a very primitive form.

Your dice are resources which are more or less efficient at different tasks.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set has a heavy focus on card management, although it is not quite a dungeon crawl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartomancer wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Cartomancer wrote:
BonesJackson wrote:

That is pretty much the kind of game that I have in mind. Unfortunately, as it's currently being published by Z-Man, I'm giving it a pass. That's just me being me though, as it's a good fit for what I'm after. .

Then you might want to consider Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game, Fallen City of Karez, and Forces of Evil. Plus, you could pay a little bit extra and order the german version of Dungeon Lords from Heidelberger (http://www.amazon.de/Heidelberger-Spieleverlag-CZ012-Dungeon...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Really like the look of Boss Monster, although it wasn't quite what I was looking for here. Definitely a game I'd love to add to the collection though.

Forces of Evil also looks interesting. Although it's BGG entry says that it was published in 2014? I take it this means we're waiting for the publisher to follow through (as it appears to have been a Kickstarter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.