Subject: 1-4 Player Dungeon Crawler Type Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott K
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Hey everyone! I am looking for some recommendations for some new board games that my father and I can play. My father played the original D&D with his friends all through college (He has a PhD)and even played with just me when I was much younger but we haven't played it in a long time. Trying to find a local group but it's proving difficult at the moment. Anyways, we have already played (are still playing) and enjoy the following games:

Castle Panic
D&D Castle Ravenloft
Lord of the Rings Confrontation

We tried Mage Wars but it was too complicated for both of us and we really don't enjoy card building games. I am really hoping to find dungeon crawler type games and the like that we can play co-op together or against each other. I have read several reviews for Claustrophobia and am going to be giving that a try. I know of the other D&D box adventures and will be getting those once we complete Ravenloft.

Any recommendations would be awesome. We are fairly open to new games or a genre that we have not previously considered however we would like to stay away from heavy strategy, deck building, city building type games. Oh and we don't have any other people to play with right now so preferably games that play well with just two players.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to look at Descent Second Edition, it is players aginst a DM, but you can switch that around.
Mage Knight isn't really a dungeon crawler, and it is pretty complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Whitaker
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-Tees
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really enjoying Castle Ravenloft with the other two boxes (Wrath of Ashardalon and The LegEnd of Drizzt) mixed in (so you have wads and wads of different characters, treasures, allies, encounters and adventures to explore). We have also added the Dungeon Command monsters in so for instance when we play Castle Ravenloft, we also add the Curse of Undeath DC monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Strawser
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Descent 2nd Edition
Super Dungeon Explorer
Dungeon Run (semi-coop)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Rice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics. Simple system with great stories and some meat in all the right places. Can't recommend this one enough. It has a cutesy look to it, but its more than just a kids' game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
-1 Claustrophobia, it's stripped down and boring.
+1 Descent: Journeys in the Dark, it has everything you are looking for and the campaign mode is great.

Also check out: Runebound (Second Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve zhang
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War. Fits every aspect of your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QueenOfAll wrote:
Gears of War. Fits every aspect of your criteria.

Cant play it against each other, fyi. CO OP only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roth
United States
cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can't go wrong with Descent: Journeys in the Dark (2nd edition). My buddy and I just finished the campaign and we both loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't listen to Thomas, Claustrophobia is phenomenal.

Gears of War is great but the theme may not be attractive.

I'm not a big fan of the D&D adventure games due to the very boring AI, lack of differentiation in rooms, and boring events which are always negative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set

Brand new and wildly popular.

Don't let the deck-building aspect scare you off.

This is an amazingly themed card game in which nearly every mechanic will connect you and you're father back to classic RPG's and the feeling of working you're way through a dungeon - locked passage ways and traps, all kinds of monsters to confront, weapons, items and armor to find, spells to cast. You keep what you find and take it through the next adventure with you, you're characters become stronger and more experienced through time.. all achieved with several decks or cards and a very simple rule-set.

There is a mountain of information available on this one, so don't take my word for it.. but it has definitely been scratching that itch for a quick dungeon crawl with heavy RPG elements for my friends and I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Don't listen to Thomas, Claustrophobia is phenomenal.

Gears of War is great but the theme may not be attractive.

I'm not a big fan of the D&D adventure games due to the very boring AI, lack of differentiation in rooms, and boring events which are always negative.

He should if wants a game with any sort of depth and substance. Plus Descent has loot, lots of heroes and monsters as well as a campaign mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korey Jackson
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ImhotepMagi wrote:
Mice and Mystics. Simple system with great stories and some meat in all the right places. Can't recommend this one enough. It has a cutesy look to it, but its more than just a kids' game.

+1 This game pays off in a big way...but only if you 1) invest in the story--read the back story out loud (or have Richard Sommer do it for you), and let yourself get into character...I mean, you don't have to wear whiskers, nibble muenster and crawl around on all fours or anything...just let yourself imagine "a more mouse-like existence"; and 2) invest in the rules...or be okay with having to look quite a bit up (in the rulebook or, better yet, on BGG) during your first play. We definitely had to get used to playing somewhat fast and loose with the rules as written--something the game encourages, but not something I took to right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Mice & Mystics
Can't really comment on Descent 2ed, but I do own and like 1st ed.
+/- Pathfinder ACG - not sure this is your thing, but agree you should check it out & see.

Also, check out Runebound (Second Edition) for a solid fantasy-themed game. It is not a dungeon crawl, more of an overland adventure. It is not coop, but you can leave out PvP and just play to kill the High Dragon. It is simple enough to pick up and learn right away, but still has good depth & replayability.

Lastly, if you're looking for another type of game that is simple to learn and easy & fast to play, check out Lords of Waterdeep. This is a worker placement game with a fantasy theme and a dash of "take that!". It does leave the hardcore gamers wanting, so not everyone will agree with this suggestion, but I think they're looking for something different than you are. Most other gamers have really enjoyed Waterdeep and it might be something that fits really well for you.

Welcome to an amazing hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tehdood wrote:
I am really hoping to find dungeon crawler type games and the like that we can play co-op together or against each other.

You're kinda out of luck in that regard. I can't think of any dungeon crawler that offered both co-op or competitive gameplay instead of focusing on one or the other. The only one I can think of that comes close would be Dungeon Run(players start as a team, but turn on each other trying to claim the loot for themselves).

Of all the games brought up so far my vote goes to Descent. If you want to capture that DnD feel this is your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scruffdog wrote:
+1 Mice & Mystics
Can't really comment on Descent 2ed, but I do own and like 1st ed.
+/- Pathfinder ACG - not sure this is your thing, but agree you should check it out & see.

Also, check out Runebound (Second Edition) for a solid fantasy-themed game. It is not a dungeon crawl, more of an overland adventure. It is not coop, but you can leave out PvP and just play to kill the High Dragon. It is simple enough to pick up and learn right away, but still has good depth & replayability.

Lastly, if you're looking for another type of game that is simple to learn and easy & fast to play, check out Lords of Waterdeep. This is a worker placement game with a fantasy theme and a dash of "take that!". It does leave the hardcore gamers wanting, so not everyone will agree with this suggestion, but I think they're looking for something different than you are. Most other gamers have really enjoyed Waterdeep and it might be something that fits really well for you.

Welcome to an amazing hobby!

Runebound is awesome and there is are tons of expansions that really diversify the game. One even incorporates an overlord player like in Descent. It should be noted that both games share the same universe/setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Fighter is big fun. Can play 1-6. A lot of dice, though. Never won a game, but still just as fun. Castle Panic was easy enough to conquer, but this games take dice skills!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott K
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the responses. We started off with Talisman and Mice & Mystics. We are very interested in Descent but talking with the guy who runs the store and has played it, he said that it is doable with two people but is much better experience with 4 or more people so we are going to hold off on it for now until we can find some people to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tehdood wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. We started off with Talisman and Mice & Mystics. We are very interested in Descent but talking with the guy who runs the store and has played it, he said that it is doable with two people but is much better experience with 4 or more people so we are going to hold off on it for now until we can find some people to play with.

Thats very subjective, we play with 2 all the time and prefer it. More people just slows it down. Also the game scales really well with 2-5 players so even with two the hero player can manage 2, 3, or 4 characters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Run!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Munk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord is pretty fun, and inexpensive and portable. It's basic dungeon crawling, no role playing. Both players run both characters and monster/traps.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is primarily roll playing, not role playing, but your character does advance if you choose to play the campaign. Game master vs. player(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roth
United States
cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Descent scales to 2 Heros ( the hero player can control two Heros very easily) very well. When my buddy and I played, he controlled three Heros and that's how we'll play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerold Wallis

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second mice and mystics.

I would also take a look at Legends of Andor. It is a fun light coop dnd type adventure with a simple rule set. (Be sure to download the rules from the bgg files section, since the rules in the box need some help. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I like Drakon (third edition). It's a light tile laying game but can be played co-op or aggressive. Most tiles have a special ability but watch out for the Dragon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Potter
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Pathfinder ACG is a must for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.