Popular Tags: [View All]
Neophitz
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Meaning do I roll a die, does the attacker choose or does the targeted ship choice?arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a hit, just like any other hit. Roll that die!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchstickman wrote:

...and if you roll a skull, discard a special weapon if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rianane wrote:
Matchstickman wrote:

Huh? This is misleading. You are implying that you can choose to discard a special weapon to absorb a skull hit instead of taking damage to your ship.

The rule is: If a skull is rolled when determining where to take damage, the attacker may choose to use a grapeshot or chain-shot to inflict specific damage rather than let the target determine where to take the damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hgcoleman wrote:
Rianane wrote:
Matchstickman wrote:

Huh? This is misleading. You are implying that you can choose to discard a special weapon to absorb a skull hit instead of taking damage to your ship.

The rule is: If a skull is rolled when determining where to take damage, the attacker may choose to use a grapeshot or chain-shot to inflict specific damage rather than let the target determine where to take the damage.

You are right, it is misleading. When we play, the attacker rolls for hit locations, which I suppose is probably non-standard. Anyway, what I meant to point out is that hits from chasers are the same as cannons, even to the point that special weapons can be used to dictate the hit location.

One thing to note about chasers that a lot of groups miss is that the hit is applied as soon as someone declares "flee". This is before the seamanship roll and therefore can be significant in the case where the masts are destroyed by the chasers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotB 2002
Netherlands
Utrecht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rianane wrote:
Matchstickman wrote:

I am confused!
I thought you have to declare the use of special weapons BEFORE you throw your dice.
and then any skull will be targeted according to the special weapon used.

It seems logical that when you want to fire chainshots, you load your cannons with them, aim high, and shoot them (i.e. announce them for the throw.

It is not logical to fire first, and then with two skulls thrown, declare that you will think about having them loaded with chainshots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
JeVo wrote:
Rianane wrote:
Matchstickman wrote:

I am confused!
I thought you have to declare the use of special weapons BEFORE you throw your dice.
and then any skull will be targeted according to the special weapon used.

It seems logical that when you want to fire chainshots, you load your cannons with them, aim high, and shoot them (i.e. announce them for the throw.

It is not logical to fire first, and then with two skulls thrown, declare that you will think about having them loaded with chainshots.

Perhaps not logical, but it works well game technical. A thematic explanation could be, that the roll is what your crew can aim at this round - after they see this, you decide to load the cannons with Chain- or Grapeshot and fire them. Though I do think it is just to make Special Weapons more usefull .

Anyway it is how the rules are (see p.15 Special Weapons - Chain-shots & Grapeshots - "...either a Chain- or Grapeshot after rolling hit-location").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.