Popular Tags: [View All]
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Hello all,

I am planning a cake for my b/f next birthday and I wanted to make it boardgame themed. He is turning 30 so I wanted to put pieces from 30 of his favourite games on the cake.

My question is can anybody recommend a good place to get custom sugar pieces from i.e sugar meeples, or sugar wooden cubes, or sugar weird shaped gems from niagara? or images printed on to sugar paste such as carcassonne tiles, suburbia tiles or even chaos in the old world corruption tokens?

I basically want a small quantity of individual pieces I suppose.

UK websites/stores preferred but basically I am just looking to see if its possible to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
not in the UK!

besides I mean like icing cubes not sugar lumps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Battiscombe
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found how to make your own:

http://www.cakespy.com/blog/2010/10/14/guest-post-how-to-mak...

http://cake-decorating.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-sugar-flo...

http://www.fancyflours.com/product/how-to-make-sugar-molds/b...

But we would have to figure out how to make molds. Maybe use actual game pieces to make molds in something that won't contaminate the the sugar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
might be a bit more time and money than you want to invest

the cheap and easy way to make negative molds is not very food friendly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Battiscombe
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could take a gaming piece, wrap it in wax paper, then put wax paper all around the outer edge and tape that down, making a little mould cup, then put the sugar mixture into that. Biggest problem with this, besides time, is that the sugar needs to be compacted down in order to harden into a proper decoration, and this will need to be done without breaking the mould wrapping.

The upper edge won't be nice and flat, but just turn it upside down and press the uneven side into the frosting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Battiscombe
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PhoenixTheBlack09 wrote:
You could take a gaming piece, wrap it in wax paper, then put wax paper all around the outer edge and tape that down, making a little mould cup, then put the sugar mixture into that. Biggest problem with this, besides time, is that the sugar needs to be compacted down in order to harden into a proper decoration, and this will need to be done without breaking the mould wrapping.

The upper edge won't be nice and flat, but just turn it upside down and press the uneven side into the frosting.

Might be an idea to use something other than sugar though. Something which can be poured in, then left in a fridge to set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
sugar, icing etc etc whatever cake decorations are made of ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, here is some CAKE to help you relax while you wait for real advice from someone else...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Just scale things back a bit.

Trying to buy or make 30 different sugar decorations is going to be a nightmare.

Personally I would go for a board game representation - either in icing/piping with a few pieces or in the shape of the cake (eg hexagons for settlers?)

You can make meeples with marzipan. It is easier to use than fondant icing, you can colour it with food colouring and shape it like playdough - though it can get a bit sticky.

Perhaps simplest would be to get one of those print your own design cakes using a photo of a game board (plenty of choices of game boards on here) then make a few meeples shaped from marzipan - or use the actual game pieces if they are plastic and take them off before you eat it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aww. Just dump the Carcassonne meeples into the cake dough and put it into the oven. devil

Or another idea would be to get some thing like this, bake a bunch of muffins and decorate them like 3D Settler tiles. I'm not a muffin expert but you might be able to come close enough to Settlers with normal (round) muffin tins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you can cut meeples out of fondant with an exacto...and get a cake maker to print out a board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.