Dan Stone
United States
Erlanger
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a strong possibility I am going to get to play X-Wing soon. I have a pretty good collection which I never get to use because its hard to me to find players.

Since I have so many ships and have played so rarely I am not familiar with the million of upgrade cards and how they work with all the different ships they can fit on.

I and my opponent are not new to games in general, we just don't have a ton of experience with X-Wing in specific.

With this in mind I ask you, the BGG X-Wing Forum Reading Community, to design two squads for me to play a "newb" game of X-Wing that will be a great time.

Inventory: I have the following ships available (and whatever cards they come with).
4 X-Wing (two from expansions)
3 Y-Wing
3 B-Wing
1 Millenium Falcon
9 Tie Fighter (5 from expansions)
3 Tie Advance
3 Tie Interceptor
1 Firespray
1 Shuttle

Goal: Build two squads (one Imperial one Rebel) that can be played enjoyably by two newbs with a design goal of being "fun" and "not too complex". Scenarios can be used to enhance the "fun" factor if it makes for a better game than just a giant scrum. Points value isn't set in stone, once again maximizing "fun" over anything else.

If you read someone elses suggestion you think is best, please thumb. Whichever suggestion gets the most thumbs is what I will go with.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For first-time players, I'd recommend reading this and links therein.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
For first-time players, I'd recommend reading this and links therein.

Good info there.

On top of that here's the lists I use when I demo a game. These lists allow for a quick game, but offer enough options that you can get a good feel for how things work.

Rookie w/R2 Astromech
Luke Skywalker

4x Academy Pilot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heidebrecht
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also a relatively new player with X-wing, and to be honest I find some of the most "fun" in the game in developing and crafting my own squad.

I totally get the concept of having some pre-made squads so that new players can get to know the game itself. I guess from my perspective a part of the game that I really enjoy is discovering the synergy between cards.

I think you can easily break down the cards into categories and explain them rather quickly. Ie: Canons, Missiles, Torpedoes, System Upgrade, Mod, Crew, Turret, etc... There are not so many cards within each category when broken down like this. I like the idea of offering players the opportunity to get to make their own squad and learn, at least at surface, the variety of options they have in the game. Depending on the personality of the player this might be one of the most appealing aspects to the game which could draw them back

I might also simply be stating an "intermediate" approach to the game which doesn't apply at all to what you are asking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stone
United States
Erlanger
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way you describe is how I play myself. I understand what all the different options on the cards are saying, ruleswise, but I don't have the experience yet to know that Option A is not as good as it seems combined with Option B or with Pilot C. I haven't even played one game with any ship past Wave 1.

I think you have to have one game under your belt with this game to even understand the value or usefulness of most of the cards. Sure I know what a Proton Torpedo is from watching the movie, but that doesn't tell me whether or not its a good choice or a bad choice if it costs 6 points since I have no concept of the value of 6 points.

I fear the chance that if you hand a pile of cards to a new player he builds something like a 60 point Y-Wing and a Millenium Falcon with no upgrades. Shortly into the game he is going to realize his/her squad is garbage and its going to not be "fun". Similarly they may choose a squad of 4 plain-jane X-Wings with no upgrades to keep it rules light quickly get disapointed when you keep doing "cool" stuff with your actions and they just get to keep choosing from the same two over and over.

Ultimately I have a limited window for boardgaming. I would rather a hand-crafted "fun" game in that window than an introduction game that ends with me telling my opponent "So, thats the basic idea....if we play again in a few months you can see some of the other things in the game and decide if you like it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found it easier to introduce people to the game by giving them a smaller squad with upgrades than a bunch of small ships.

HSF is a great introduction build for people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rraahk wrote:
I've found it easier to introduce people to the game by giving them a smaller squad with upgrades than a bunch of small ships.

I'll decode that for you:

HSF = "Han Shoots First," which is a popular squad consisting of:

Han Solo + Marksmanship + Chewbacca + Gunner (58)
Rookie X-wing Pilot (21)
Rookie X-wing Pilot (21)

I would suggest avoiding this squad for your first few plays, though, because the Millennium Falcon is arguably overpowered and has a reputation for removing one of the fundamental ideas from the game; i.e. maneuvering to get an opposing ship in your firing arc while avoiding his firing arcs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Rraahk wrote:

I'll decode that for you:

HSF = "Han Shoots First," which is a popular squad consisting of:

Han Solo + Marksmanship + Chewbacca + Gunner (58)
Rookie X-wing Pilot (21)
Rookie X-wing Pilot (21)

I would suggest avoiding this squad for your first few plays, though, because the Millennium Falcon is arguably overpowered and has a reputation for removing one of the fundamental ideas from the game; i.e. maneuvering to get an opposing ship in your firing arc while avoiding his firing arcs.

Thanks for the clarification! Sorry that I missed it.

I disagree though. The fact that it's so strong is why it makes the perfect fun build to give to someone. It still presents a challenge to overcome as the more experienced player. The new player has a good chance of winning, and if you want to get someone hooked on a game, you don't want them to lose the first few games.

The X-Wings will get them used to maneuvering while they never have a round where they lost all their chances of attacking because they turned wrong or overshot.

In terms of fun builds, I think Han Shoots First is one of the easiest to play and still have a great chance of winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Martino
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar question.

I just bought the base game and I'm still a noob who's only played 1 game so far, but I naturally want to buy a couple of more fighter to add variety.
Obviously the pilots will make a difference, but what fighters should I buy next but still keep the squads relatively even.
I was thinking the TIE Advanced (naturally one must have Vader) or the TIE Interceptor, and for the Rebels, either an A-wing, Y-Wing, or maybe the HWK-290.
I'm not too concerned about getting up the 100-point squad level yet, and eventually will be getting more and bigger ships, but I'm just wondering what you all suggest that my first pair of purchases should be.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stone
United States
Erlanger
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone was curious, this is what I ended up going with...

Luke Skywalker: Proton Torpedo, R2-D2, Elusiveness
Red Squadron Pilot: Proton Torpedo
Horton Salm: Ion Cannon, R2 Droid, Proton Torpedo

Darth Vader: Concussion Missles, Marksmanship, Engine Upgrade
Alpha Squadron Pilot:
Alpha Squadron Pilot:
Academy Pilot:
Academy Pilot:

I explained the rebels have the quality ships, the imperials have the quantity. Luke is going to be very hard to take down, and Vader is going to be the one to do it. Very cinematic.

First three turns were fairly violence free, as the volley of three proton torpedos only managed to slightly damage one Tie and one Interceptor. As time went by one Tie blew up, a scrum happened in the middle of the board where just about everyone lost their actions in the chaos, then followed quickly by the deaths of one Interceptor, Darth Vader, and Horton Salm in ONE TURN. The imperials turned and fled at the loss of Vader, and Luke won the day.

I think it went over pretty well, I played the Rebels but was helping advise different options for the Actions the imperials could choose from, offering a pro and con for each choice.

People seem to really hate on interceptors but being able to barrel roll OR boost at the end of movement REALLY helped keep them out of firing arcs and always get them pointed in the right direction. That AND the +1 guns over the regular TIE seems like a pretty good trade off to me. I also saw how using Vader with the engine upgrade would allow him to both Boost and Barrel Roll, and with that he has some crazy options to set up just exactly where he wants each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stone
United States
Erlanger
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uberfab wrote:
I have a similar question.

I just bought the base game and I'm still a noob who's only played 1 game so far, but I naturally want to buy a couple of more fighter to add variety.
Obviously the pilots will make a difference, but what fighters should I buy next but still keep the squads relatively even.
I was thinking the TIE Advanced (naturally one must have Vader) or the TIE Interceptor, and for the Rebels, either an A-wing, Y-Wing, or maybe the HWK-290.
I'm not too concerned about getting up the 100-point squad level yet, and eventually will be getting more and bigger ships, but I'm just wondering what you all suggest that my first pair of purchases should be.

Thanks!

Get a Tie Advanced for Vader. He can team up with the two TIEs you already have and form a squad just like in Star Wars!

Get a Y-Wing to add variety. Some of the cards that come with it can be used with the X-Wing and some of the existing X-Wing options can be used with the Y-Wing. It will give you a feel for slower ships and you can decided if you like them or hate them.

After these two purchases I suggest getting a TIE and X-Wing standalone expansion so you can get all the other pilots to put in your existing ships. You only need one expansion of each to get all the cool named pilots.

After that I would base what you buy on what team you enjoy playing with more, and also what style you prefer. If you like the maneuvering portion of the game the A-Wings and Interceptors let you do this. If you like gearing up ships and blasting away you can get the Large Ships.

* Note that I NEVER play competitively, or in a tournament situation. My advice if only applicable for home games amongst friends. It's probably stupid advice if you want to "win".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stone
United States
Erlanger
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And finally, thanks to everyone for taking the time to come in and offer advice. I will try the HSF build the next time I play a game against a non-newb opponent to see how it works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.