Hide
8 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Steelhorns hero ability ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rosen Kazakov
msg tools
We had an argument during our last sesion. Can Steelhorns use his hero ability , move twice , and than perform whirwing attack ? On the card says "perform an attack ", does it mean just regular attack or it can be "action " attack ?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
His ability does not grant you any type of action. It grants you the ability to perform an attack. This would reference a normal attack with one of your equipped weapons. Trying to use Whirlwind requires an action for you to perform. So unless you had another card/power/skill that granted you an additional action you would not be able to use it in this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm not so sure. They're typically pretty explicit with "attack" or "attack action." Though, this might be similar to the new Basic II card Flurry where their intention was "attack action" but they failed to write that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no. Whirlwind is a Skill that grants an attack, but it itself is not an attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
SeanLuc wrote:
I'm not so sure. They're typically pretty explicit with "attack" or "attack action." Though, this might be similar to the new Basic II card Flurry where their intention was "attack action" but they failed to write that.

Whirlwind is a Skill card. In order to use Whirlwind, the hero must perform a "Use a Skill" action (described on page 9 of the rulebook.) The fact that using Whirlwind allows the hero to "perform an attack" as part of its resolution does not change this.

Steelhorns's ability also allows him to "perform an attack." It does not allow him to "perform a Use a Skill action."

When an ability instructs you to "perform an attack" (or "make an attack"), that means follow the combat steps described on page 12. Nothing more, nothing less. In other words, a "basic" attack.

The same argument applies for any hero skill (or Monster ability) that involves "performing an attack." The action you use to execute these abilities is "Use a Skill" (or "Monster Action"), it is not "Attack Action." (Note that the rules for monsters only making one attack per turn explicitly state that "Monster Actions" which involve an attack are counted as attacks for this purpose. The only reason "Monster Actions" count for that rule is because the rules specifically say they do.)

FFG's official rulings have thus far consistently supported this interpretation, from everything I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sure. Just note that Grisban's feat, for instance, says "attack action" and not just "attack," and these were created in the same era.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm simply not 100% sure. There are two possibilities: They either wanted to allow for anything that constitutes an attack with regard to Steelhorns' ability, or they simply messed up in their language. I personally don't care to guess which it is, and I've never played with Steelhorns, so it hasn't had to come to a resolution. I simply thought I'd offer the counterpoint, since again, they are typically as explicit as possible with "attack" and "attack action" being different terms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If "perform an attack" without "attack action" meant you could use skills, then you could combine Rage and Whirlwind, for instance.

I see where you're coming from, but I'm like, 96% sure that the missing "action" was just an oversight by the writers who weren't 100% diligent with their language when writing the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is similar to some cards having "each hero within 3 spaces of you" and some "each hero within 3 spaces of you, including yourself". Both meant exactly the same, but generated tons of discussion and what ifs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.