Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
We were out playing disc golf yesterday, and in the park they had some folks flying RC planes. It's always something I've wanted to try.

Anyone here do this? Any suggestions for research, hobby sites, etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did it as a kid. Built two planes; one was a glider, the other had a small gas engine. It was fun, but I spent more time building the planes than flying them! (This was in the days before you could buy a fully built kit, when you had to glue together strips of balsa wood and cover it with heat shrink plastic or dope-saturated tissue paper).

I finally wrapped the gas powered plane around a tree. Don't remember what happened to the glider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
So, at what point can I start doing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Did it as a kid. ...

I finally wrapped the gas powered plane around a tree. Don't remember what happened to the glider.

Similar story here. Built the planes from scratch. Fun. Tedious and fussy but the glue helped. whistle

Tried to fly it; crashed. Repaired, re-try, crash.

So I did what any 14 year old would do with his best friend at the time: Removed the engine, set it on fire, and took turns spinning it around while connected to string. Made lots of WWII battle noises and started a small grass fire once it finally went down for good.

Ah, those were the days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm casually into it (have an ultra micro and a slightly larger park flyer)..

I'd recommend HorizonHobby.com as a good place to start. There are plenty of smaller/slower planes you can get that are safe to fly in public places due to lightweight electric motors and molded foam construction. If you get something bigger, faster (gas engine/turbine), and heavier (wood/fiberglass) they are unsafe to fly in public and must be taken to private flying fields.

The latest generation in ultra micro planes have built in gyroscopic stabilization to help provide smoother flight and easier control. Traditionally, a smaller vehicle will be more easily affected by wind and turbulence, and thus slightly more difficult to fly, but obviously a smaller vehicle is also much cheaper!

Prop planes are obviously slower and easier to control than turbine/jet planes. High wing planes are more stable than mid/low wing. Something like a small Cub would probably be a good start.

EDIT: Something without ailerons (3-channel) would be best for a complete beginner (don't have to worry about rolling over), but if you've had a lot of experience with flight simulators, or pick up these kinds of hand-eye things quickly, you could potentially jump into one that has full 4+ channel with ailerons.

EDIT 2: Some terminology to be aware of when browsing their site. RTF = "Ready to Fly" (comes with everything you need to fly in the box, including transmitter). BNF = "Bind and Fly" (comes with everything you need to fly in the box, except the transmitter). AS3X = Gyro stabilization which make smaller models more stable to fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd opt for a drone instead. You could keep track of your neighbors and be on the lookout for anyone trying to steal your kids Halloween candy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My oldest son is into RC planes. He's built flown and raced several. I'll ask him for resources for you. He also builds and races RC cars and trucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.