United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

A non-gamer friend has recently become interested in the American Civil War. I'm trying to find ideas for a game that might help him understand more about the time period. The ideal game will be:

1) Solitaire designed or highly solitaire suitable. He is a non-gamer and I don't think he will seek out a games group.
2) Medium to low complexity. Again, non-gamer, although he is very intelligent.
3) He has become interested in the ACW by reading The Killer Angels. Therefore Gettysburg games are a bonus.
4) In print or readily available on the used market.

Whaddya got?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test of Fire: Bull Run 1861 or Clash of Wills: Shiloh 1862 both are quite simple and would play well solo. The Bull Run game is simpler. Each side has cards which would normally be kept hidden though.

Worthington just published Gettysburg 150 which would play well solo: roll for Action Points, allocate to units, move and resolve combat. No hidden information.

Yankees & Rebels comes with the Gettysburg map pre-printed, but can be used to play a variety of Civil War battles since it includes some terrain tiles. Draw a corps chit from the cup (which could be from either side), then roll dice to see what actions are available to units of that corps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Riley
United Kingdom
Bridport
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The GCACW system. Proven system by its longevity - new stuff still being produced from MMP - and very solo suitable as you never know how far a unit can move. The maps are world class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
I haven't played any of the games in the series, but isn't GCACW a bit high on the complexity scale for someone who isn't at least somewhat familiar with wargames? Also, I believe that those games take up a good amount of space and have large stacks of counters.

A House Divided is pretty simple and plays well solitaire, although you have to play both sides. It could be difficult to do if you're not accustomed to playing games that way.

With respect to solitaire games, you may want to look at The Lost Cause. It's a solitaire game in which you play as Jefferson Davis trying to keep the CSA afloat until McClellan can be elected president. I haven't played it, so I can't vouch for its quality, but it's the only ACW solitaire game I can think of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Burning Monkey wrote:
With respect to solitaire games, you may want to look at The Lost Cause. It's a solitaire game in which you play as Jefferson Davis trying to keep the CSA afloat until McClellan can be elected president. I haven't played it, so I can't vouch for its quality, but it's the only ACW solitaire game I can think of.

There's the old true solitaire ACW game Mosby's Raiders - good fun, and perhaps copies can still be found (I don't know).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
The forthcoming Bloody Crossroads: Gettysburg Day 1 will have a solo system built in, has a listed play time of 45 minutes, and is about Gettysburg. It sounds like it might tick all of your boxes (as it does mine!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Martin Ralya wrote:
The forthcoming Bloody Crossroads: Gettysburg Day 1 will have a solo system built in, has a listed play time of 45 minutes, and is about Gettysburg. It sounds like it might tick all of your boxes (as it does mine!).

I'm really looking forward to that as well, but I think it'll be a while before it's released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so many thoughtful suggestions.

The Lost Cause sounds perfect. Medium-low complexity, solitaire, fairly quick, probably appropriate for a new gamer. Also nice historical flavor on the cards.

Now to figure out the best way to get one of these shipped to Glasgow...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
International priority shipping was only $16. Thanks, VictoryPointGames!

Is it bad that I'm kind of hoping my friend isn't interested in learning the game? And mails it to me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.