BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Looking for the best way to play. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh King
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
So a while ago I moved back home from college, leaving my gaming group behind. During this process I lost my Girlfriend of 3 years who also played a LOT of board games with me. Now I Don't have a group to play or really ANYONE to play with me. I am stuck with this huge pile of games but can't play any of them. What is the best way to start playing regularly again? I don't have a game shop near me so I can't go meet groups. I am open to playing with an online community. What online board game has the largest/best community? Vassal seems like there is not a lot of people online. What do you guys recommend?

P.S. I love deck builders, RPGs, and dungeon crawlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Have you tried Board Game Arena?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Under the "Misc" choice, below the Board Game search, select "Find Users".
Under Find Users, select Find Gamers.
Type in your zip code, and the maximum distance you want for local gamers. (Heck, I might even be in your radius.)
You'll get a list of BGG gamers returned to you. Send them each a geekmail, and see what comes out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh King
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Board Game Arena looks a little too simplistic for me. There is only one game on there that looks any good IMO(stone age). I am looking for a larger, more in depth, more competitive community

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshking518 wrote:
So a while ago I moved back home from college, leaving my gaming group behind. During this process I lost my Girlfriend of 3 years who also played a LOT of board games with me. Now I Don't have a group to play or really ANYONE to play with me. I am stuck with this huge pile of games but can't play any of them. What is the best way to start playing regularly again? I don't have a game shop near me so I can't go meet groups. I am open to playing with an online community. What online board game has the largest/best community? Vassal seems like there is not a lot of people online. What do you guys recommend?

P.S. I love deck builders, RPGs, and dungeon crawlers.

I recently moved to Georgia, and not knowing anyone, went to meetup.com and found that there are a number of good meetups in the Atlanta area (I'm just outside of Atlanta). Not sure where in Georgia you are, but I would consider checking that out.

If you are in the Atlanta area, feel free to drop me a PM, I can offer a (little) advice on how to break in here.

As far as online communities go, depending upon what times of games you like, you might want to consider either Brettspielwelt.de or Yucata.de. BSW is online play, yucata is asynchronous. Both work via the web, and BSW has an applet that you can download. They both have a very wide variety of games available.

Hope this helps!
Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try meetup.com and see if there are any groups in your area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy an iPad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.