Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you prefer card trays or plain old stacks of cards for drawing/discarding?

Maybe they aren't called 'card trays' but I'm talking trays like this

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1251211/uno

Would a tray that is integral to the game keep you from buying the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually swiped that exact card tray from Uno to use with other games. It's a good place for discards like the trash in Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
We always use card trays for any game when possible. We are anal-retentive enough to want things organized, but not anal-retentive enough to actually do the organizing. The card trays do it for us nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After putting sleeves on all the cards in my new copy of nexus ops I ended up making (cardboard and duct tape) a tray to hold them during gameplay. There's nothing like big, slippery piles of cards that continually fall over, to annoy you while you are trying to enjoy a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herbert Griffin
United States
California
flag msg tools
Oooh, I wonder if you can buy just the card trays somewhere. Or do I have to find a few boxes of Uno at my local thrift store?

Now I'm thinking about using my old blackjack shoe and discard tray for the next game night. Maybe I'll bust out the old brass Pai Gow dice cup for some really extravagant dice rolls. Come to think of it, I may still have my automatic card shuffler boxed up somewhere too.

Thanks for reminding me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
I actually swiped that exact card tray from Uno to use with other games. It's a good place for discards like the trash in Dominion.

They are nice ones I think. I like the width and the little indents for fingers to help you pick up cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Decker
United States
Kingsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TouchMySusu wrote:
Oooh, I wonder if you can buy just the card trays somewhere. Or do I have to find a few boxes of Uno at my local thrift store?

Ebay.. look up playing card tray. 2 deck ones, three deck ones, 6 deck ones, ones that revolve, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stacks of cards is good enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello I Am Jim
badge
Yo
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I would be okay not using a card tray, but once in a while you play a game where it would benefit from having one on the table. Settlers of Catan and Bruges are the first games I thought of. I can think of some other games that I wouldn't mind having one out but it is not necessary. In this group I would include Legendary (just to organize the KO pile), Shadows Over Camelot (everybody always reaching for the deck), and Ticket to Ride (never played a game to where someone didn't tip over the draw pile.

Speaking of this do they sell any for mini cards? Or big enough to hold sleeved cards (i'm talking about depth)? I think I found some on ebay but $10 for a card holder is a little much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Webb
United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Let's Go Pens!
badge
One more win...Beat the Sharks!
mbmbmb
TouchMySusu wrote:

I have a revolving tray, which I believe was made by Cardnial, the same folks who do some of the Domino sets you would find at Target or Walmart..

My personal favorite card tray is the bathtub that comes with Waterworks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card trays remove one component from the list of components that need to be constantly straightened while waiting for your turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve my cards and they slip all over the place when in decks of more than about fifty. Card trays are a necessity for me.

Ultra Pro hard acrylic deck boxes (one or two compartments) are perfect to sit cards up at a slight tilt.

One compartment:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/145710

Two compartments for larger decks:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/145703

For games with lots of cards (Dominion, Arkham Horror), the "Hold It!" card organizer has been a godsend.

http://www.innovatiuminc.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.