Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the cover I recognize most of the dudes. Got Stalin, Churchill, Khomeni (spelling?), and Roosevelt. But who is the one on the far left?

I feel I should know this and its driving me mad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Kaiser Wilhelm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
It's Kaiser Wilhelm!

Indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Grace
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have often thought that the absence of a personality representing Fascism
might have been to make the game saleable in Germany particularly, where, as I understand it, there are strong sanctions against the use of fascist symbolism especially for "entertainment" purposes. The game - I suppose - has to be saleable "as is" in the German market, so the box reflects that
factor.

So, I see two "imperialists" on the box, but no fascists.....

If I am right about German sensitivities, I wonder if that has affected sales of any games in the past, b/c I can think of many games from the US that included images of real Fascist personalities.

FWIW I don't think this in any way detracts from an ingenious game, which, while entertaining, is far from a trivial entertainment .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's illegal to display a swastika on any commercial product for sale in Germany.
Germany has also been pressuring the other countries in the EU to follow suit.
This is why, when Decision Games published my game ¡Arriba España! which featured a marker with Nazi Germany's flag, they replaced the swastika with some kind of "Balkenkreuz" to make a flag that never actually existed.
I'm sure their sales in Germany are quite small, but they are publishers after all, and every publisher's second motto is "why borrow trouble?".
I'm sure there is also a tacit discouragement to feature images of Adolf Hitler.
They could have put Mussolini on the cover, though, no problem with that...suppose he's any more recognizable than the Kaiser though?

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Grace
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"...They could have put Mussolini on the cover, though,.."

I have no way to know for sure, but I suspect that a box with Mr M's image on it might might attract the wrong kind of attention in games shops in Italy ....

I have to say, I was somewhat surprised at the inclusion of Churchill in this somewhat unsavory list, till I remembered that it's only *after* starting his "second career" in 1940 that people started thinking of him as a pillar of freedom. Before that, he was very determined to hold on to India, and the rest of the British Empire, no matter what the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh certainly; I just meant to say that it's not illegal to show an image of Mussolini, or the Fascist rods-and-axe symbol.

Wait, Churchill's on the box but not as an Imperialist?
I gotta go back and look at that...

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pohl
Germany
Mülheim
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe you´re interested in a german view?

As mentioned before it´s illegal to use the swastika or "Hakenkreuz" in germany for any reasons. But you can easily use the iron cross and as far as I remember, this is used as a symbol for fascism in some board-games.

And yes, nobody in germany would buy a boardgame in which someone represents Adolf Hitler. But even Mussolini would cause problems. He was Hitlers "best friend" in a political way and also he is not as well known as Hitler, people would have a bad feeling about playing him. And at this point it doesn´t stop: Most german people have bad feelings about playing Stalin, too, because Eastern-germany (the DDR) was under Stalins influence and they know about his massacres in labor camps.

So all in all: It´s very difficult to publish a boardgame, which such directly represented political ideologies, in germany. I think they tried to evade the most "dangerous" parts of ideologies (in sense of selling the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike jones
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
even axis & allies will not show the swastika or hitler. It's as if they're scared he's gonna come back if they represent him. He is dead. He's not gonna hurt anybody anymore, but he is a historical figure and should be pictured on any WWII game, especially if they're going to put stalin on the cover and if people think "Uncle Joe " was a better person needs to brush up on history. Prediction: in 100 years, if board games are still around, adolf hitler will be featured on the cover of WWII games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.