Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I'm hoping Andrew or people that have already played/practiced the Month 2 scenario could chime in with some thoughts on how to adjust for a smaller playing area. The tables at the store where I'm running the OP aren't perfect for a large-ish scale game like this. They're just individual tables and we lose about 6" off the one side of the official playing area.

With the setup of Month 2 already being a huge killbox with very very little open space, I'm worried that my players will get frustrated with the map being even more suffocating than intended.

I can't really think of a way to remove any of the OWPs and have it still be balanced and have them still be a factor in the battle. Removing or lowering the debris would give more space, but also negates any helpful cover they might provide versus the OWPs. Another option would be to extend the length of the playfield beyond the usual 36".

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-Reduce the distance between OWP and planet.
-Use a smaller planet size.
-Maybe use a smaller OWP token. Say the "mission" token from the base set?
-Don't worry about it & let the OWP reach the edge of the board anyway. In the official setup there's only a little more than 1 ship base width between the furthest and OWP can fire & the edge. That's not a lot of space.

I'd definitely not remove any of the OWPs. That's how both sides are equally balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd move them in closer to the planet, maybe 2 inches?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the Iron Duke.

So, if it is 3' x 2.5', I'd move them 2" to 3" closer to the planet on the shorter sides and leave them in their normal locations on the 3' sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
You could always push tables together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's not enough space in those tiny rooms, plus I have to set up and be prepared for more people, even if it ends up being you 6 again.

I'll just adjust the OWP placement. I think I was picturing them already being really close to the planet, good to know there's some room to work with.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To update, we ran with the max space available, which works out to about 30" by 36" (6" short on the one side).

The only alteration to the setup was moving the OWPs on the short axis in an inch, putting them 3" from the planet instead of 4". We also had the starting areas on the left and right sides of the playfield facing off on the long axis, instead of using the sides right in front of the players.

This seemed to work pretty well, the OWPs were no more deadly than intended or expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.