Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Shipley
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pulling together a Kate-Atman-Datasucker runner deck for the Plugged In tourney (my first live tournament), and I'm having some trouble with the console. I'm new to Netrunner, and will likely have to buy a whole bunch of card packs in order to round the deck out for tournament play. My main problem is as follows:

-) Most Kate-Atman-Datasucker decks run 3xDesperado, for the econ boost when hammering centrals for datasucker tokens.
-) I only own 2 core sets.
-) With all the packs I'll be buying to make this deck, buying a 3rd core set is wayyyyy not on my priority list.

Although I'll only have 2xDesperado in my card pool, I expect to have 3xDoppelganger. That said, I'm well aware that Desperado combos more strongly with my deck concept than Doppelganger does. I'm well aware of this thread comparing the two:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/971790/why-desperado-is-bett...

I'm not building a deck that intends to abuse Doppelganger for extra clicks, so all in all I'd prefer the credit econ boost from successful runs. Doppelganger isn't horrible in this deck, but I have noticed my econ seems weaker when using it instead of Desperado. On the other hand, I've noticed that carrying only 2xDesperado significantly impacts the chance I'll see one of them in a given game.

To those with more deckbuilding experience, which of these deckbuilding evils would you consider to be lesser?
1) Running only 2 copies of Desperado in a tournament deck.
2) Running 3 copies of Doppelganger instead of Desperado.
3) Running 2xDesperado and 1xDoppelganger, just so that I have 3x(some_kind_of_console) ready to draw. (See also: 1xGrimoire, 1xSpinal Modem)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rares Dragnea
msg tools
2 x Desperado is the better choice IMO, just enjoy the extra influence and use it for your favourite out-of-faction card. Maybe Inside Job? Ice Carver? Imp? Customize your deck, add some personal flavour with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonid G
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
You can successfully play 2xDesperado in Katman deck if you load up on card draw effects to get your Desperados faster. Or play Chaos Theory instead of Kate. Or both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play 2x Desperado in my Katman even though I have more of them. But I love 1x Imp.

Though actually I've more recently gone to playing 2x Grimoire because of the extra memory and all the viruses I ended up with (3x Datasucker, 1x Parasite, 1x Imp, 1x Nerve Agent..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Nelson
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have waffled back and forth over whether to cut the third desperado on purpose in order to fit in a second parasite (I cut the stimhacks for the first), so you can certainly use the influence better elsewhere than a doppelgänger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Cain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big spinal modem fan and feel that it's underrepresented. I'd at least give all your ideas a shot and see how they feel. For a tournament, your comfort with your deck is probably most important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My latest deck took desperado out completely. Actually I am running consolless. The freed up influence and deck space is allowing to experiment with some cards I would not normally.

When I do run Desperado, its just 2 (and yes I have a 3rd if I wanted it) but I find Imp too hard to resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Teiler
Germany
flag msg tools
mdanuser wrote:
I play 2x Desperado in my Katman even though I have more of them. But I love 1x Imp.

Though actually I've more recently gone to playing 2x Grimoire because of the extra memory and all the viruses I ended up with (3x Datasucker, 1x Parasite, 1x Imp, 1x Nerve Agent..)

Yeah, I also went away from Desperado because I use the influence for more viruses and a Corroder. Atman is still the main breaker in the deck, but Corroder is still incredibly efficient and might delay the point where you have to set your Atman to a certain strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Shipley
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the popular approach is to play with fewer than 3 consoles. I can work with that. (Dissenting opinions still welcome!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Roybal
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
putting parasites in the atman deck is always awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its an interesting question and worth testing I think.

The argument "Desperado is better than Doppelganger" is, I think, clearly true for criminal decks.
Whether its true for this Shaper deck, given the difference in influence costs, and the possibility of play Notoriety to take advantage of it, is less clear.

My suspicions, without testing, are:

2 Desperado is probably better than 3 Doppelganger. There is diminishing returns from adding more consoles, as duplicates dont help. But its not like its wildly better or anything. Alternately, maybe 2 Doppelganger and even more influence is good.

2 Desperado + 3 more influence for other things such as Parasite, Stimhack, etc, is probably very close to 3 Desperado.

Also, Grimoire is also interesting in this deck, is lower influence, and gives more MU. (With it, I'd probably play an Imp, as well as more programs (Sahasrara?) as well as Scavenge (Scavenge the Sahasrara to recur Parasite or Imp).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth M
msg tools
mbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

Also, Grimoire is also interesting in this deck, is lower influence, and gives more MU. (With it, I'd probably play an Imp, as well as more programs (Sahasrara?) as well as Scavenge (Scavenge the Sahasrara to recur Parasite or Imp).

I tried out Grimoire since the increased MU and ability to get free datasucker/parasite tokens provided another way to cheat Atman values for a while, but ended up just going back to Akamatsu Mem Chips. The extra influence lets you run almost all the best splashes simultaneously and just ends up providing a stronger deck than using it on the consoles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I was initially running console-less, or with 1-2 Grimoire, and then more splashes: things like Imp, Stimhack, Corroder, Yog, Djinn, etc.

Then I focused on the Desperado build after the Gencon results (but with Parasite added).

They are both good. I love how Desperado makes those cheap runs SUPER rewarding. I feel that it helps me play better. It makes me focus even harder on getting as many of those cheap runs as possible, because of the added $1 incentive for making them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.